CoinPeople.com

Ebay Coins

Grifter

98.3% isn't all that great for feedback, especially when you have > 10000 feedback recorded. (it doesn't help, imho, that he says he has > 18000 positive feedback when you know multiple positives from the same user aren't ordinarily counted).

it it sounds too good to be true it probably is.

"Lot will be a nice mix of denominations, uncirculated coins, BU coins, proof and silver coins, US type coins and possibly a great fine. We suggest you look closely at your purchase for key dates, error coins, full bands, full bell lines, MS67-MS70 grades and varieties."

Just remember that everyones grading practices differs from each other. They can call it a MS67, but you may call it MS62!!! You would be better off going to your local coin store, flea market and buying $30 worth of coins there.

This bag will have AT LEAST"10" U.S. type coins/proof sets/mint sets, commemoratives, special sets, single proof/mint coins, dollars, eagles, bullion bars/rounds or silver coins with a total numismatic value of at least $25.00 based on todays coin market.

Not bad for only $24.95 + $4.95 shipping + $1.30 insurance.

I've done very few of these grab bag type auctions, though the few I did buy worked out well, with several silver rounds for about $3 each. The problem with these for me is that I already have enough random coins!!! I look at the rolls of wheaties, old nickels and junk silver that I have and I want to get rid of it sometimes, but there is just no easy way. Perhaps I should get a table at a local show sometime and try to unload it there. But the last thing I need is to spend more money on coins that will end up in the pile with all my other random coins!

If you like surprises go for it.

Of course not all surprises are nice.

I wouldn't do it but that's just me, and apparantly everyone else who's posted here so far.

The only coins I would buy off Ebay are ones that are either slabbed by a good company (and I can run the # to double check it) or something I KNOW I am getting isn't fake, cleaned, or anything else.

Those mixed lots are tempting but do you really thing people would give away coins like 1909-S VDB's or 1955 double dies? Yes it is possible but highly unlikely.

Those mixed lots are tempting but do you really thing people would give away coins like 1909-S VDB's or 1955 double dies? Yes it is possible but highly unlikely.

The only time buying lots for such finds is worth it is when the seller is clearly not interested and totally clueless about coins. If the seller knows anything about coins or even mentions a rare/scarce year then you know you're chances of finding one is like finding a spark plug in a solar powered windmill.

I've done a few of those just for the fun of it. I like adventure! :ninja: Never got anything super rare, but of course you can't expect that you will. But the few I have done I broke even or even got more than what I paid for.

I am with T'bunny here. I have done a few (only from flea markets and such) and go in with the lowest of expectations. I only hope to get common material to fill in holes in date/type set collections. So if the price is too high for my low expectations, then I let it go.

The problem I have with this one is the way it is being advertised. It is setup to seem that you will get loads of goodies. I like the ones that say, "there is lots of common date junk with some keepers mixed in". It keeps with my expectations.

I once bought a 'bagful of US change' from Ebay.

The guy i bought it off obviously must have known nothing about coins (which is the way you want it to be when doing these kinds of buys if you want to find anything of interest).

So i noticed it and it was a bagful of change to the tune of $35. I contacted the seller and asked him if any of the dimes/quarters or halves were dated 1964 or earlier. The reply was affirmitive that there were several.

So in i went and bidded and i got it for pretty much face value, i think i paid about £18 for it which was a bit over face but i took a chance thinking the silver might pay off.

Boy howdy was that a good haul. I pulled two 1964 halves and a 1903 Barber, two .400 silver halves, about two dozen silver quarters (Washers, 2 SLQs and a holed Barber), a dozen silver dimes including mercs.

About 6 war nickels and unfortunately a buff.

Unfortunately i got two State Quarters as well but you can't have it all your own way. Also many Bicentennial quarters and a bicentennial half.

A rather enjoyable scour all in all, and one of the best buys i've ever had. I haven't bought one since that, i don't think i can really out do that.

I don't do them, as I prefer to know what I'm buying, but to each his own...

Well generally i take that line of approach, but every once i a while i enjoy the search rather than the aquisition.

Generally though i'm a firm believer in quality over quantity.

No, I've never bought into one of those scams.

I have bought a few lots where every coin was not described in detail, but I new what type coins I was getting, and how many of each.

That auction only guarantees that you will receive 10 US coins valued at $25. Now, which 10 coins, and what value scale is being used, are anyone's guess.

I don't have a problem with anyone who wants to buy something like that, I just think it's another way of preying on the ignorant and greedy, and puts our hobby in a bad light.

But, as stated earlier, to each his own.

Life is too short to begin with. If something like that makes a person happy, then they should have at it.

Guest Stujoe
Ok, I've been looking at some of these coin sales on eBay.  I've seen some of these people selling stuff like this.  I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with these kind of auctions.

I don't think you are going to have much luck with an auction like that but I thihk that buying an unknown bulk lot of coins can be fun if you pay a steep discount based upong the fact that it is an unknown bulk lot of coins. Unfortunately, Ebay is probably not a place where the lot will go for a steep discount. I would prefer a dealer, show or private collector venue.

• 3 weeks later...

I've made a few coin purchases on E-Bay, but only for a specific item, and I carefully weigh the price they're asking along with postage, to what it is worth and how bad I want it. Personnally, I'd rather buy something from a local dealer where I can see it in person.

Archived