CoinPeople.com

Latest Circulation Find

Grifter

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Searched some cents today. I didn't specifically buy rolls to search but my cent coffee can was overflowing, so I rolled a few. Looked at a bit over 800 cents and found:

183 copper and 600 zinc.

Two coppers were wheaties (1955 & 1958-D).

Out of 30 1982s (D and P), 28 were copper.

Found a couple of filled mint marks and the only other notable find was a very brassy looking zincoln - shown here next to a typical 1994. Caught my eye right away.

1994comparisonwz4.jpg

Weight, however, is right on target with the zincoln (2.46 gms). Maybe I will do a specific gravity test, but I think it is just a zincoln that, somehow, got a weird color.

Searched some cents today. I didn't specifically buy rolls to search but my cent coffee can was overflowing, so I rolled a few. Looked at a bit over 800 cents and found:

183 copper and 600 zinc.

Two coppers were wheaties (1955 & 1958-D).

Out of 30 1982s (D and P), 28 were copper.

Found a couple of filled mint marks and the only other notable find was a very brassy looking zincoln - shown here next to a typical 1994. Caught my eye right away.

1994comparisonwz4.jpg

Weight, however, is right on target with the zincoln (2.46 gms). Maybe I will do a specific gravity test, but I think it is just a zincoln that, somehow, got a weird color.

If I remember correctly, there are some "brass" zinc'ers that are the result of zinc getting into the copper for plating, resulting in a brass plating.

Hmm interesting possibility - I wonder if there is a way to definitively tell if that is the case with this coin.

Surface conductivity measurements anyone?

Surface conductivity measurements anyone?

How do you suggest that "Surface conductivity" be measured? Using a decent Ohm meter, I can not distinguish copper from copper-plated from potentially brass plated - all give readings near .1 on the lowest scale, as I would expect.

Did a little bit of digging and ccg's memory is correct as Ken Porter's site sells some of these and shows a letter from the mint acknowledging that zinc can be inadvertantly dissolved in the copper plating rendering such a color (link here).

CopperCoins says that there is virtually no way to distinguish a brass-plated cent from one that has miscolored due to other contaminants.

Certainly there is a way of detecting the content of the plating, but I do not have easy access to any destructive flame mass spectroscopy whatchyamhiggie.

I shall keep thinking about this.

How do you suggest that "Surface conductivity" be measured?

I've got access to equipment that can measure the conductivity of the plating on the surface. It doesn't penetrate the material too far.

Also if you want to get really nutty, electron microscopy can easily determine the surface's composition.

Of course, it's all a bit overkill don't you think?

Was able to pick up 11 rolls (at face value) of 1964 Kennedy Halves that were in my local bank's vault since 1964 in a box. There were more rolls total but I was able to get 11 for myself. I feel very local to have part of a "hoard" even as small as this one... ;)

Small find! ? Excuse me! For $110 you got coins worth over $1100. Sorry doesn't qualify as a "small find", but congratulations are in order for a major find! :ninja:

Your not going to believe what my daughter pulled out of one of the machines at chuckEcheese today.

I'll post it as soon as I can get a pic.

You're right. I don't believe it. You have a daughter.

Your not going to believe what my daughter pulled out of one of the machines at chuckEcheese today.

scan0001-2.jpg

;););)

That has got to be one of the all-time great finds. Did she want you to send it to me? :ninja:;)