Latest Banknote purchases.

Guest Aidan Work

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can you post better picture of the watermark area?

I tried a few things with the scanner but I cannot quite get the Ram's Head to show up well enough. Does anyone know a good trick for Scanning so you can see the watermark better?

It is cool to think that the St Pierre note is from North America, but with all those tropical scenes that are so far from reality in StP. I bought one of those years ago when they were pretty affordable, back before all the interest in French printed took off.

One that I was sort of holding out for a nicer example, but this one came in from a collection of American obsoletes and I had to have it:

canadabankoftoronto51929dtl3.jpg

The Bank of Toronto has the destinction of having very uniquely designed notes that suggest a very 19th century look, but unlike many other Canadian banks their designs were proprietary to the bank, and not the banknote printers - meaning essentially that the vignettes on them would not be seen on any other notes that American Banknote Company and later Canadian Banknote Company printed for institutions around the world. These arms on the note are actually remarkably similar to the contemporary British coat of arms that appeared then on Scottish banknotes. Unlike their Scottish counterparts though, Canadian banks were not bound by the Lord Lyon's request that the arms be removed from commercial paper as in Britain in the early 1930's.

canadabankoftoronto51929.jpg

The Bank of Toronto was opened in 1856, with capital of $500,000. It's initial growth was quite conservative by the standards of the day - it kept a high reserve vs. capital ratio and kept expansion to a minimum. The result was a well respected institution with high share prices compared to competitors. The bank was merged with Dominion Bank in 1955 and is now known as TD Bank with locations throughout Canada and the NE USA. Notice the reverse of the note, with the stirring vignette of Prince Albert and Queen Victoria - Canadian institutions were not quite subject to the regulations of portrait usage on commercial paper that their British counterparts were by then bound to.

canadabankoftoronto51929dtl1.jpg

The designs of these banknotes look decidedly 19th century, so by 1929 they appeared to be an anachronism - but incredibly they survived even the downsizing of the notes in the 1935 issue and on up through the consolidation of the Charter banks note issues in the early 1940s by Bank of Canada. The vignette on the left of the note suggest an early portrait of Queen Victoria - but subject to interpretation.

canadabankoftoronto51929dtl2.jpg

This vignette, or rather, it's odd placement in the vertical of a horizontal note is rather curious. I conjecture that perhaps rather than it's placement being a result of tight space, that rather it was part of the design as a different anti-counterfeiting measure as this would create a challenge for a forger having to rotate a printing die.

It is cool to think that the St Pierre note is from North America, but with all those tropical scenes that are so far from reality in StP. I bought one of those years ago when they were pretty affordable, back before all the interest in French printed took off.

indeed i needed sometimes to realize that (before i discovered france used the same serie for more places in the world)

canadabankoftoronto51929dtl3.jpg

Great note! I do like it, but I must remark about this vignette - I go on record here to state that I can't draw. Not even a straight line, and if I tried to draw a squiggly line, even it would turn out wrong. This, if nothing else, seems to be a qualifying factor in being a critic (just joking!) But one thing I've noticed is that there was a time when the engraving of animals looked a bit off. The lion on the left looks as if he's had a rough night of it and has just woke up and is staggering about with a hangover. The unicorn on the right looks at first to be from a modern 'My Pretty Pony' toy line, with the overdone eyelashes... the crown makes it's head look offset to the side of it's body... then looking at the legs, one looks as if it's emanating from it's middle, and the other from it's side. The hooves end in an elongated form like one of those creepy women you see occasionally in department stores with those super long fingernails - almost a cross of Dali and Hieronymous Bosch in style. But these are offset by the very lovely renditions of the ladies and miscellaneous guilloche/scrollworking. All in all a great note - and I actually like it all the more with the hungover lion and the ill-fitted unicorn.

It's nice to see notes of this era from Canada. Thanks for sharing this note.

... The lion on the left looks as if he's had a rough night of it and has just woke up and is staggering about with a hangover. The unicorn on the right looks at first to be from a modern 'My Pretty Pony' toy line, with the overdone eyelashes...

A lion with a hangover and a unicorn with eyelashes :yahoo::hysterical::hysterical:

Post of the week, absolutely!!

BTW, beautiful note.

Is this...

1. Actual as issued,

2. Actual note that's been modified, or

3. Fantasy note?

This item is not legal tender but a collectible made and designed after the rare legal tender note. This is a very popular collectible. Not only is this highly sought after by Olympic collectors but it is also sought after by coin and currency collectors. The foil version is often considered to be more attractive visually then the actual notes.

now to get the other 2

This item is not legal tender but a collectible made and designed after the rare legal tender note. This is a very popular collectible. Not only is this highly sought after by Olympic collectors but it is also sought after by coin and currency collectors. The foil version is often considered to be more attractive visually then the actual notes.

now to get the other 2

Cool - I always thought these were just notes covered in foil. Thanks for posting this!

Love that Irish note :) (more than the 1£ and possibly other ones)

I'm in the process to get 3 Guernsey Notes (Old Serie) - With Mr. De La Rue in second place :clapping:

guernsey-52.JPG

(5, 10, 20) i love their look

getting also a 20£ from Isle of Man (my first Mannish note)

20-Pounds.jpg

but later on wanna catch this one (looks better for me) :

IsleOfManP37a-20Pounds-ND(1979)-donatedowe_f.jpg

and waiting for this DDR 100 Mark (first DDR note) :

100-Mark-der-DDR.jpg

and also getting :

thumb01150.jpg

well 15th nov is my birthday :D

with a last possibility of an extra addition (under evaluation)