CoinPeople.com

Latest Banknote purchases.

Guest Aidan Work

It's interesting to note that the 250 ruble note on the previous page of posts has a swastika on the reverse! (I've had one for quite some number of years.) It was issued by the Provisional government in 1917, well before the Nazis stole the symbol. Before it got trashed by association with them it was a "good luck" sign, originating in India (though I've also seen it on American "Indian" petroglyphs). There is a town in Ontario by the name of Swastika, founded in 1908, and they refuse to change the name, despite a lot of pressure from the provincial government in WWII and derision today. I rather admire that, actually: It's not their fault the symbol was so famously misused. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika,_Ontario

Yes indeed on it being hijacked by the Nazis.

denmarkcarlsbergmedalfv.jpg

Carlsberg Brewery largely got rid of the swastikas after WWII, but they still remain on the elephants on the entrance to the brewery - as they have since the 1880's.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's interesting to note that the 250 ruble note on the previous page of posts has a swastika on the reverse! (I've had one for quite some number of years.) It was issued by the Provisional government in 1917, well before the Nazis stole the symbol. Before it got trashed by association with them it was a "good luck" sign, originating in India (though I've also seen it on American "Indian" petroglyphs). There is a town in Ontario by the name of Swastika, founded in 1908, and they refuse to change the name, despite a lot of pressure from the provincial government in WWII and derision today. I rather admire that, actually: It's not their fault the symbol was so famously misused. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika,_Ontario

Compare with Microsoft who included it in one of the symbol font libraries a few years ago and under pressure from some groups wimped out and issued a "patch" to take it out, without ever specifying the change or the reason.

Swastika is indeed a very old symbol. In fact, if you ever get a chance to visit India, you would be probably surprised at how ubiquitous it is.

my latest 'new nation' BRAZIL

934145A.jpg

934145B.jpg

before i was thinking the older type had something better (maybe the animal in the back in a better position)

but after some time of thinking i ended up on the latest.

Those are very nice notes!

That is a nice Brazil 50 note you have MauMau. I like the two view of the leopard on the back and there's one in the strip on front too, and it looks like 'vegetation' even goes over the strip, as if he's looking out from behind a bush...different and very neat.

Hello!

in 1960 the different countries that were part of African monetary union A.O.F had to differentiate their bank notes.

Finally ended up getting a letter by country:

A: Ivory Coast

B: Benin

C: Burkina Faso

D: Mali

E: Mauritaine

H: Niger

K: Senegal

S: Guinee Bissau

T: Togo

But before all this, The authorities made ​​some trials with the name of the country to differentiate the countries, but that does not end up doing.

This is one of those trials banknote type 100 Francs 1956 modified in 1960

It is rare:

dsc0035fc.jpg

dsc0036v.jpg

I finally found this Estonia 10 Krooni in AU - Most of them ar in VF or less... usually less. Never seen one offered in UNC, so I got this one, and cheap too!

6o3ckk.jpg

I haven't gotten the original one yet, I have noticed the same thing - they usually don't go above VF. Curiously though, someone in the Estonian National Bank was forward thinking, they stashed the plates for the 1940 issue away after the communards from next door came in uninvited. During a renovation of the building where the old National Bank was in the mid 1990's the printing plates were found behind a wall. During the run up to introducing the Euro, the National Bank used the original plates, modified the date and used them to print this:

estonia10kr2008.jpg

To commemorate the 90th anniversary of Estonian independence from the Russian Empire in 1918.

Hey everyone, just snagged a couple of notes from SOUTH Sudan they are here in the USA

http://cgi.ebay.com/5-Pounds-New-Country-South-Sudan-/150637120674?pt=Paper_Money&hash=item2312ac0ca2

the above is link to an ebay auction that just ended with me as the winning bidder

was just informed from the seller that there are more available I bought 1 and there are about 8 left to buy just search for south sudan on ebay and check to sidebar for anything listed under coind and currency