Latest Banknote purchases.

Guest Aidan Work

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you MauMauNotes! I’ve always enjoyed looking at the collections on BanknoteBank enjoying the various notes in other’s collections.

As for my focus – well it’s more blurred than focused, but for U.S. notes, I decided that I wanted a simple type set, and I also wanted to get a set completed of the $1 from 1899 to modern day. I am currently hunting down a decent experimental Red R silver certificate. I am not worried about the other experimental notes with only block letters to designate them, nor am I too concerned with signatures, dates, etc. I think my 1's will be pretty much complete then.

There are some US notes that will likely stay out of my collection, such as the porthole five, the battleship 2, high denomination notes and others which are too much money – but who knows, maybe someday I’ll have them; it’s always good to have something to look forward to. I've also been trying to piece a large size Federal Reserve Note type set together. 50's and 100's all have a wide range in prices - all expensive.

I used to try to focus on French influenced Africa notes from the 1950’s to the 2000’s but as they are quite attractive notes, they have drawn a lot of collectors and the prices are sky high on some of them now – all that I would want to get anyhow. Anymore I just keep an eye open for them.

So I am now maintaining a U.S. focus, and tying a few Chinese private and local issue notes. However, the Chinese notes have taken off in the past couple of months and I’ve seen notes that I paid $35 for a couple years ago sell for 300.00 (just last week in fact). I hope that the prices don’t go crazy like the French African notes.

Of course, I’ll always have a general weakness for just about any note that I find desirable. :grin:

Nice notes, DF911! I like the 200M note as it reminds me of many years ago in high school when I saw a film on East-German schools. In this film they seemed to make a big deal out of the 'Ring around the roses' playtime with the kids. This was such a big deal in the film that it seemed like they either learned it recently just for the film, or it was something they had great pride in doing. Seeing that 200M note, it must've been the latter.

My mind made up after all those years. :)

Baxuss - Very nice set of notes there! I like that Greek one too! Nice coloring on that note. And you got another 150? Wow! I can't imagine going through that many notes at one time.... It'd be a lot of fun though! :yes:

Thank's Dave, a lot of money I spend in this month.

But I'm very happy of these. Waiting for sheets for them ;)

That's one fine Italian note there, MauMau. But as I am not familiar with the painting, I have to ask: Is the fellow at the far right a blue Hindu God or a Zombie? Looks more like a zombie to me. Just kidding, of course, but if you do know, I'd be interested in the answer.

That's one fine Italian note there, MauMau. But as I am not familiar with the painting, I have to ask: Is the fellow at the far right a blue Hindu God or a Zombie? Looks more like a zombie to me. Just kidding, of course, but if you do know, I'd be interested in the answer.

Usually, I enjoy the posts on this forum, however, the above post was in poor taste. I realize no malice was intended instead perhaps humor was, unfortunately off color and it speaks of general ignorance and stereotypes. BTW, there are no Hindu gods to be found in Classical Italian art.

Is the fellow at the far right a blue Hindu God or a Zombie? Looks more like a zombie to me. Just kidding, of course, but if you do know, I'd be interested in the answer.

It is Zephyrus, with puffed cheeks, he represents the west wind the bringer of light spring and early summer breezes. I assume he is depicted blue to indicate cooler winds as opposed to summer's hot southern breezes. The nymph Chloris, who he is grasping, is associated with spring, flowers and new growth "as she talks, her lips breathe spring roses".

EDIT: I found nothing offence in your question, you even said just kidding re the zombie, some Hindu Gods are depicted blue so I cannot personally see anything wrong or stereotypical, oh well :)