CoinPeople.com

Latest Banknote purchases.

Guest Aidan Work

Was the Dutch 2.5G ever encountered in circulation there? I recall that it was about the same size as the 5F, and also pure nickel?

I may have seen them, but frankly the newer Dutch coins never held much of an interest - and unless it had Wilhelmina or Juliana on them I didn't even give them a second look. I thought it was curious to still be getting Queen Wilhelmina era coins like the 5 cent in change. Before the Euro the Dutch and German coins were the oldest that you could find in circulation in Europe outside of Switzerland. I do remember getting and spending the 5 florin/gulden coins though.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice Banknote, very colorful !

THE SPANISH.....

SpainP84Aai_185204651.jpg

SpainP84Aaxi_185204716.jpg

Hello Madison.

This banknote is a very rare spanish banknote of 1000 pesetas 25 april 1931

In Spain it is very appreciated!!!

The water mark is a Apolo Head

in front Jose Zorrilla (1817-1893 portrait and

back : The Picture of Antonio Maria Esquivel: contemporary poets.

Jose Zorrilla reading his poems in the painter's studio, (this picture is in the del Prado Museum , Cason del Buen Retiro, Madrid, Spain)

Signatures:

El Gobernador: Julio carabias Salcedo

El Interventor: Adolfo Castaño Orejón

El Cajero: Bonifacio Burgos Delgado

Intaglio and lithography, Impression: Bradbury, Wilkinson

Paper manufacturing: Portals Co. ltd London

Congratulations!

Santiago

Barcelona, Spain

Today the mail brought this note. 1943 Spain 5 Pesetas - Queen Isobel on front and Columbus planning his voyage on the back.

t045ch.jpg

Hello Dave: Congratulations

The Banknote:

Front, Isabel La católica Queen ( 1451-1504)

back:

Fragment of picture of E. Cano de la Peña:

Cristobal Colón in Monastery of la Rábida ( Palacio del Senado, madrid)

Signature: l Gobernador: Antonio Goicoechea Cosculluela,

El interventor, Antonio Victoriano Martín Martín

El cajero:, Juan Villarrolla Masferner

lithography and intaglio

Impr FNMT ( fabrica nacional de moneda y timbre)

is that in the back Columbus ?

2873uxj.jpg

Yes:

Front: Fernando el Católico ( King) 1452-1516

back: Fragment of painting of Dióscoro Téofilo de la Puebla: First landing of Cristobal Colón in America

Signatures

the same that another banknote

lithography and intaglio,

Printed by FNMT fabrica nacional de moneda y timbre

IF YOU HAVE GOT MORE SPANISH BANKNOTES I CAN HELP YOU WITH MOTIVES DEPICTED IN BANKNOTE

I have got a good books of Spanish Banknotes

Thought I'd share these two remainder banknotes from China - used in the same city, but issued by different companies, and printed by two other companies, these similar notes were denominated in 1 copper diao (string) during the chinese republic period. I bought these notes due to their similaries with obvious differences and to show the printing styles and practices of issuing similar currency at that time period.

ea5t7n.jpg

Neat notes Dave. Are they as large as the images make them appear?

No, THey are actually a bit larger. about 10 inches long by 3 inches wide. The larger one is 3/16 of an inch more.

Very interesting. I find the denomination to be a bit confusing since "copper dollar" to my understanding is a reference to the 10-cash / 1-cent coins.

That was a mystery to me too, so I consulted with an expert on Chinese banknotes, Erwin Meyer. Erwin is one heck of a great guy with an amazing amount of knowledge and understanding of the language, culture, and history of China and their currency. He explained that the (translated) phrase is simply Copper Money, 1 Diao (diao=String). The other note doesn't have the copper character, but it is merely a shortened method of stating the same thing, and is still evidently dealing with copper units. For me, translating the charachters is one thing, but putting them into context is quite another - as with any language.

This is a great note MauMauNotes! I've always like this note a lot. I've been looking for the 10,000 note as well, but its very hard for me to find one, and when I do it's usually circulated and well more than I want to pay! Perhaps just get two of these 5,000 notes and call it even, eh?

Congrats!

I almost forgot to ask: Do you know if the letter X on this note is a replacement indicator or simply a block letter?

No, THey are actually a bit larger. about 10 inches long by 3 inches wide. The larger one is 3/16 of an inch more.

That was a mystery to me too, so I consulted with an expert on Chinese banknotes, Erwin Meyer. Erwin is one heck of a great guy with an amazing amount of knowledge and understanding of the language, culture, and history of China and their currency. He explained that the (translated) phrase is simply Copper Money, 1 Diao (diao=String). The other note doesn't have the copper character, but it is merely a shortened method of stating the same thing, and is still evidently dealing with copper units. For me, translating the charachters is one thing, but putting them into context is quite another - as with any language.

Do you have a copy of "The Currencies of China"? It's a pretty in depth 1920s contemporary banker's view of currencies and coinage circulating / used.

Do you have a copy of "The Currencies of China"? It's a pretty in depth 1920s contemporary banker's view of currencies and coinage circulating / used.

No I do not. I haven't heard of it before you posted this. I did a search and downloaded a free pdf from Archive.org and will look into it. Thanks for the recommendation. I will likely buy one - Amazon has a "real" book for sale that is reasonable. - Thanks for the recommendation.

I do have a copy (PDF from Archive.org and Real from Amazon) of "Certain Old Chinese Notes or Chinese Paper Money" by Andrew McFarland Davis (1915) which is a good book, but deals mainly with notes before the republic era (before 1911).

Hello Madison.

This banknote is a very rare spanish banknote of 1000 pesetas 25 april 1931

In Spain it is very appreciated!!!

The water mark is a Apolo Head

in front Jose Zorrilla (1817-1893 portrait and

back : The Picture of Antonio Maria Esquivel: contemporary poets.

Jose Zorrilla reading his poems in the painter's studio, (this picture is in the del Prado Museum , Cason del Buen Retiro, Madrid, Spain)

Signatures:

El Gobernador: Julio carabias Salcedo

El Interventor: Adolfo Castaño Orejón

El Cajero: Bonifacio Burgos Delgado

Intaglio and lithography, Impression: Bradbury, Wilkinson

Paper manufacturing: Portals Co. ltd London

Congratulations!

Santiago

Barcelona, Spain

THANK YOU FOR THE INFO'S SANTIAGO..IT COSTS ME QUITE A BIT TO GET THIS NOTE...NOW I KNOW THAT IS A GOOD ONE....

spainish1954_edited.jpg

spainish1931_edited-vert.jpg