Guest Aidan Work

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Red S:

To make printing more economical, there were several types of currency that were experimental issues. Of these, the latest we are aware of is the famous Web Press notes that were printed on a different type of printing press. These were last printed in series 1988A, 1993 and 1995. But there are several other types out there as well. Some are denoted only by the series year and the alpha characters on either side of the banknote, such as the 1928B YB and ZB banknotes. But in WWII (and in this notes case), there was a red R and a red S printed on the lower right hand side of the front of the notes. 1,184,000 of each type R & S were printed and released into circulation. Evidently, there was no useable data to make the experiment worthwhile, but the nice R and S does make them sought after notes.

I've tried digging up more information on the different details on the experiments, but have only came up with the 1928B when they switched to 75% linen and 25% cotton recipe.

Finding a *star* R or S note is my next big challenge in my collection.... *gulp*

Nice note MMMM from my country. Nice to see :)

I love large notes! They are so big, and I try to imagine a transaction being made with them, wondering where and how a shopkeeper or vendor would have kept them - a till with a big drawer I suppose. or very large pockets for very large wallets. I always seem to think of an over the top comical sketch like one from Carol Burnette or Monty Python. :rofl:

I love large notes! They are so big, and I try to imagine a transaction being made with them, wondering where and how a shopkeeper or vendor would have kept them - a till with a big drawer I suppose. or very large pockets for very large wallets. I always seem to think of an over the top comical sketch like one from Carol Burnette or Monty Python. :rofl:

Yeah, that's right and I really think what large they must have wallets in this time :confus:

Probably they resize them like this emoticon :clapping::unsure:

img0094ua.jpg

img0095hf.jpg

I can't say for other notes, but pre-1970s Hong Kong $100 and $500 are commonly found folded into little squares.

They generally seem to have gotten folded into fourths, with hard creases (not the gentle u-bend most notes get today).

I suppose one could use a drawer in a file cabinet for this kind of money but 100 rubles or 500 rubles was a LOT of money in Tsarist Russia. Even the 3, 5 and 10 ruble notes were large by our standards (not huge, but large) and probably got folded/creased as well.

Heck, you don't have to go back to tsarist Russia to find large banknotes in circulation, I remember back in 1995 working in Paris, and at the time the 500-franc note was about as big as half a sheet of paper! That note was worth about $100 back then, and is now worth only collector value (I just picked up a few on eBay for $5 or $10). Back then most of us just folded the notes in half or in quarters to fit in our wallets.

930308A.jpg

Heck, you don't have to go back to tsarist Russia to find large banknotes in circulation, I remember back in 1995 working in Paris, and at the time the 500-franc note was about as big as half a sheet of paper! That note was worth about $100 back then, and is now worth only collector value (I just picked up a few on eBay for $5 or $10). Back then most of us just folded the notes in half or in quarters to fit in our wallets.

930308A.jpg

I know France had a short period of time for redemption of the Franc notes, but I believe those last issues of the Franc can be redeemed until next year. I think I had one of those 500FF notes when I was there back in 1993, but after that I never took anything larger than 200FF when I changed money. I had saved several of the new 50, 100 and 200FF notes from the last series, but I wished I had kept the large sized Montesqui 200FF from the previous series - it was a cool note. It is kind of funny, every time I have been to France I have bought up loads of stuff and then turned around and sold the most of it for some crazy reason. At least I have kept all or most of the stuff from the other countries I have travelled in or lived in for awhile.

My vault teller at one of my bank's branches had been saving these for me since just after my previous visit last week:

IMG00046-20110921-1951.jpg

They came in from a lady that had found them at home and was trying to spend them around town but everybody refused to take them! I have never owned a USN $5 with the red seal before, let alone gotten one from the bank. I churn up Series 1928, 1953, and Series 1963 $2's occasionally and did get the '66-A $100 last year. But this is a first.

Nice Find! Always love finding small head money, let alone red seals!

On the French notes, the larger notes like this one and the Montesquieu were only redeemable for 10 years after they were demonetised, so the 500-franc I have was redeemable until 2007, the Montesquieu until 2008, the 100-franc Delacroix until 2009, and the 50-franc de la Tour until 2005. The only one I have that is still redeemable is the old 20-franc Debussy which is good till February. After that, all francs are kaput! By the way, I have an extra Montesquieu if you want it.

Nice Find! Always love finding small head money, let alone red seals!

On the French notes, the larger notes like this one and the Montesquieu were only redeemable for 10 years after they were demonetised, so the 500-franc I have was redeemable until 2007, the Montesquieu until 2008, the 100-franc Delacroix until 2009, and the 50-franc de la Tour until 2005. The only one I have that is still redeemable is the old 20-franc Debussy which is good till February. After that, all francs are kaput! By the way, I have an extra Montesquieu if you want it.

It's weird to think that soon all FRFs are toast, with Feb, as you mention being the last redemption date for the last notes. I recall when the coins went out several years ago, the bimetallic 10 francs all of a sudden were available in bulk for nothing (I guess they sold some back to coin dealers after the redemption date passed instead of scrapping them all)

Yeah, I still have a bunch of coins from my trips, I love the sower on the 5-franc to 1/2-franc, and some of the other interesting commemorative designs for the 1- and 2-franc. I think I only have one of the bimetallic 10-franc coins left as a souvenir, but loads of the smaller coins, even a few 5-centimes! Seems like the Banque de France will make a windfall on the euro conversion!

When I was changing money I would buy the 100FF coins that are silver if I saw them in the window. I kept hearing that they would be worthless - well lets see who had the last laugh. Silver even with the fall today is still worth a lot more than it was then. The coins are worth a lot more than face value. They had demonetised the 50FF coins from the 1970's and I can remember buying them for like 30-35 FF each. I think I still have them all somewhere. I know I saved one of the Marie Curie coins. I know I saved some uncirculated Debussy 20FF notes - I like his music.

I never saw any when I was in France, they are about the same diameter, but the 2 1/2 guilder was a little thicker with a lettered edge instead of reeded. Plus the Dutch coin was worth about 50% more than the French, when I was there the 5 franc was worth about $1 but the 2 1/2 guilder was worth about $1.50, so that might have played a part.