CoinPeople.com

Latest Banknote purchases.

Guest Aidan Work

eheh :D the 100 mark and the following 20 pounds i have been hunting for quite a while (long queue of other notes with higher priority)

but finally!

935363A.jpg

935363B.jpg

also 'Man' has been covered.

:bhyper:

I like this Manx note a lot, thanks for sharing.

I also have a soft spot for your C.I. notes having been to Jersey dozens of times. :bthumbsup:

I'm greatly enjoying this thread so please keep up the brilliant purchases.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The only thing I perceived to be “off-color” was the hue of the figure in question. I’m certain Dave was

speaking only in jest.

As constanius stated it is Zephyrus. What is not shown in the cropped photo are his very large black

feathered wings. He resembles more an angel of death than a spring wind.

The trio of lovely dancing ladies, from which the damsel on Mau Mau’s note is taken, “are believed to be derived from ancient images of the Three Graces and may be the symbol of Liberality.”

Quotes from my Uffizi Gallery guide. Stunning painting, beautiful museum.

Balaji, at what part do you take offense? Are you Hindi, Italian or Zombie?

It is Zephyrus, with puffed cheeks, he represents the west wind the bringer of light spring and early summer breezes. I assume he is depicted blue to indicate cooler winds as opposed to summer's hot southern breezes. The nymph Chloris, who he is grasping, is associated with spring, flowers and new growth "as she talks, her lips breathe spring roses".

Ah, yes, the root of our word 'Zephyr' for describing wind. I often forget about the classical Greek/Roman mythology referenced in artwork and older writings. I used to know more about the Greek/Roman gods, but that was "back in the day" and it's pretty much all gone. I do not remember Zephyr or any other wind gods, though. I do only remember seeing faces blowing on old maps - none of them blue though. Thank you for the explanation.

Usually, I enjoy the posts on this forum, however, the above post was in poor taste. I realize no malice was intended instead perhaps humor was, unfortunately off color and it speaks of general ignorance and stereotypes. BTW, there are no Hindu gods to be found in Classical Italian art.

Seriously?

I am sorry that you took offence at my post.

Actually, they are FRBNs, Federal Reserve Bank Notes, they are the same format as National Bank Notes from series 1929, but were issued by the Federal Reserve Banks. These notes were secured by US Treasury Bonds on deposit with the Treasury and were redeemable in "lawful money" while the FRNs of series 1928 were redeemable in gold or lawful money at the Treasury or Federal Reserve, and were not secured by bonds. This was the general security required by national banks that chose to issue National Bank Notes, and unlike today when the Fed print FRNs to buy Treasury bonds (we call this debt monetization, i.e. money printing from thin air) these bonds at the time the National Bank Notes were issued were payable in gold coin, so the banks that issued the paper notes could actually redeem them for hard money, and not more paper.

JT, that more paper is now "hard paper" :hysterical:

BTW I love the Italian 100.000 Lire, it is one I want myself. I own several rarer Italian notes, but the 100K is one that has alluded my clutches so far. What an "awful" thought - beauties from classical art on banknotes. :evilbanana:

Very nice Italia MauMau :bthumbsup:

I'm waiting for the newest notes too :clapping:

ty :), go go go ! let us know !

That's one fine Italian note there, MauMau.

ty , love it myself too :D trying to expand as much as i can the 'italian' area

so planning other arrivals from january-february

There are some pretty nice babes on the painting. :oops:

i agree :D botticelli had a good taste for women

I'm planning to add a few notes from Ghana and a few MPCs this coming year. I always enjoy this thread and certainly wish I could contribute a bit.

Looking forward to you posting some notes Art1.2 But first you'll have to suffer through these. I got this set because they are new and I wanted a complete set (I have the Pound denominations already). But I think the colors are bad, the design is too dense and the whole coloring is too muted. But hey, I guess I can't complain until I get my own money printed, can I?

South Sudan - New Piaster notes - 5, 10 and 25 Piaster denominations.

mjax0.jpg

They are a departure from the brighly colored notes we see from many places lately. Of the three the 5 Piasters is the nicest for my tastes.

I like the architectural contrast on those notes Dave. Please why two different banks? Do they have a central banking establishment with subsidiaries or some such thing?

I like the architectural contrast on those notes Dave. Please why two different banks? Do they have a central banking establishment with subsidiaries or some such thing?

Yes. They are similar to Hong Kong and the Hong Kong-Shanghai Banking Corporation (HSCB) and Standard Charter Bank (SCB)issuing notes there. In Macau, there is no governmental banknote issuer, but two commercial banks are granted the authority to do so. They are the Banco Da China (Bank of China) and the Banco Nacional Ultramrino (the Portuguese bank with branches throughout the world and it's old possessions). Being an old Portuguese posession, the notes are printed in Chinese and Portuguese. As in other places, older notes may have been from other issuers besides these two. I have one small denomination note I posted earlier this month issued by the Kee Kwan Motor Road COmpany. That company is still in business providing transport between mainland China and Macau.

Yes. They are similar to Hong Kong and the Hong Kong-Shanghai Banking Corporation (HSCB) and Standard Charter Bank (SCB)issuing notes there. In Macau, there is no governmental banknote issuer, but two commercial banks are granted the authority to do so. They are the Banco Da China (Bank of China) and the Banco Nacional Ultramrino (the Portuguese bank with branches throughout the world and it's old possessions). Being an old Portuguese posession, the notes are printed in Chinese and Portuguese. As in other places, older notes may have been from other issuers besides these two. I have one small denomination note I posted earlier this month issued by the Kee Kwan Motor Road COmpany. That company is still in business providing transport between mainland China and Macau.

Thanks Dave. I did not know any of this. So the banks issue the notes under government authority. Value and trade-wise they are completely interchangeable - is that correct?

Thanks Dave. I did not know any of this. So the banks issue the notes under government authority. Value and trade-wise they are completely interchangeable - is that correct?

That is correct. The same goes in Hong Kong for their banknotes from different banks, Scotland for their different banks, Ireland for theirs, etc.

The UK has some different notes issued for places such as Jersey, Guernsey, Isle of Mann, Gibraltar, as well as Scotland and Ireland, that all have seperate notes. While these are pegged to the GBP, I've read in forum threads that the notes are not accepted in other locals, except where they are close by, ports, etc. where exchanges are readily made for their local flavor of currency. I believe this is due mainly to the familiarity of notes and fear of fakes floating about from too many different types.

Different notes from different banks, or issued in different locales makes for neat collecting though! More expensive, sure, but more fun as well.

That is correct. The same goes in Hong Kong for their banknotes from different banks, Scotland for their different banks, Ireland for theirs, etc.

The UK has some different notes issued for places such as Jersey, Guernsey, Isle of Mann, Gibraltar, as well as Scotland and Ireland, that all have seperate notes. While these are pegged to the GBP, I've read in forum threads that the notes are not accepted in other locals, except where they are close by, ports, etc. where exchanges are readily made for their local flavor of currency. I believe this is due mainly to the familiarity of notes and fear of fakes floating about from too many different types.

Different notes from different banks, or issued in different locales makes for neat collecting though! More expensive, sure, but more fun as well.

I can see where it adds to the challenge of putting a set of notes together. That's fun.