CoinPeople.com

Future silver and gold prices

jeniffer007

silver is stable recently at $9.00 and above. in the future, gold is projected to hit somewhere around $600.00 to $800.00. that's means silver will follow gold movement. i think silver bullion related coins is also good to buy. like the modern commems dated 1983 to 1988. cdn bid price on these items increases. others like the american eagle uncirculated, and other privately or internationally minted silver coins. if you bought it few years back. silver is only around $3.00 plus. you should have earned a lot. i just bought some modern commems (near bullion value) for fun. i like to hold and play with it. toss and twiss. while other collectible coins. we just keep and seal it forever. can't even see them again.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People say $1,000 for gold isn't out of reach. I feel it will hit the mid to high $700's by years end, maybe even $800.

Not sure what silver will do. Of course it will go up but by how much, not sure. $13-15 a ounce wouldn't surprise me much.

I would not be at all surprised to see gold well over $1000 and silver over $50 over the next 5-10 years.

I hope so, as that is what i'm buying and collecting now! In my case, i've had a fun time collecting world gold so far, and the fact that gold may increase makes for a sound investment too! :ninja:

I think the short term price pressure on gold and silver is going to bring it up a bit more over the next year--let's guess 5%. However, I think in the mid-term (3-5 year) we will see about a 20% price correction downwards. Long-term (10 year) is a real guessing game since it is so dependant on other factors, but I expect it will climb back slowly after a price correction to about 10% above where it is today. Personally, I've only heard $1000 price predictions from folks that stand to make a lot of money if it comes true. Now, if the US housing market bubble bursts in the next year or two, it will be interesting to see if folks start selling-off or hoarding.

Let's not forget that during the boycotted Soviet Olympics of the 80's, for a very short period of time, silver price blew over 50usd, and inflation is not counted. Who knows how many Soviet silver olympic sets were melted down.

If you actually have rhodium, that is where good money was made if you bought it last year. It has tripled from 1k to 3k for an ounce and it may seem to hit 4 grand later this year. Fortunately, there isn't such thing as rhodium coins. :ninja:

silver and gold will continue to go upward until both reaches their target. gold $1,000.00+ and silver $25.00+/-.

if silver hits $25.00. american eagle uncirculated bullion coin should be around $28.00 to $30.00. that's the price of american eagle silver proof coin today.

modern commems silver dollars with capsule but wothout c.o.a., sleeves/boxes dated 1983 to 1988 only will be good too. it should be worth around $28.00 to $30.00.

silver proof five pieces statehood quarters commom one without sleeves and c.o.a. will also be trading around at $36.00 a set.

commom date u.s. silver coins dated 1964 and before per $1,000.00 will be around $18,500.00 to $19,000.00.

that's a good day dreaming. who knows?.

Jeez, silver at $50 an ounce would kill the collector collecting date sets of coins by making even the common dates worth a fortune just for melt value.

Yes it does. It also drives lots and lots of common date coins to the smelter. It can be a very unpleasant experience.

Guest Stujoe

A price much lower than $50 an ounce would force me out of much of the silver parts of my collection for sure. I am not sure what my price point would be as it would be a painful decision, but there comes a time when I would certainly liquidate my silver sets that I could not hope to finish at that kind of price (probably dollars, halves and quarters) and refocus my sites on other series in nickel and copper (probably in the World arena). My dimes would be safe as I only need a handful right now.

If you actually have rhodium, that is where good money was made if you bought it last year. It has tripled from 1k to 3k for an ounce and it may seem to hit 4 grand later this year. Fortunately, there isn't such thing as rhodium coins. :ninja:

My old high school has a 16g piece of that in their "metals specimens" set!

Before it came out about the hunt brothers almost the same worries were happening. I caught it and sold at 50$. Dropped out most of my silver bullion, but hung on to all the coins. In a way hoping for some coin melt. And the higher coin prices later. During that time the people who had silver made out good if they sold in time. A lot better per centage then gold. Prior to it topping out, a lot of people thought it was going to continue to rise. After silver made it to the twenties, to me coin collectors seemed to sit on their coins. At least higher mintage ones.

Yes it does. It also drives lots and lots of common date coins to the smelter. It can be a very unpleasant experience.

I have often wondered what would be the price threshold for that to begin happening again.

A price much lower than $50 an ounce would force me out of much of the silver parts of my collection for sure. I am not sure what my price point would be as it would be a painful decision

Silver hits $20 and my financial situation stays the same, good bye silver collecting and hello nickel clad!

Before you think about $50 silver and the sky falling for collectors, please remember that $50 in 2006 is a whole lot different than $50 in 1979! Back then, $50 was nearly 15 hours work at minimum wage, today it's 9.5 hours (even less in states with higher minumum wages). In 1979, the average price of a new home was $71,800 (or 1,436 oz. of $50 silver) but last year the average new home price was $295,100 (or 5,902 oz. of $50 silver!!!). To be a comparable price in terms of new homes, silver would need to reach $205.50/oz. which I could see putting a damper on collectors, but $50 in today's paper currency would not be such a big deal in my opinion. In fact, it might be a positive for collectors as more press on silver might create more demand (one of those conundrums of economics where higher prices increases demand, rather than reduces it).

Archived