CoinPeople.com

Future silver and gold prices

jeniffer007

That is more or less what I would have expected. And it pretty much cements that I would be one collector in search of calmer waters. Possibly they would be found in the world or exonumia areas.

Really you need to get into ancients. The markup over bullion on Greek Tetradrachms is so high, you'll be quite safe from the speculators :ninja:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard so many stories about the craziness of that time. People were going into department stores and buying silverware and selling it for a profit as the price rose so fast it more than compensated for the department store markup! If we saw a huge spike like that again, without a commensurate increase in wages and other consumer prices, I would likely dump all of my bullion, maybe even my unc rolls of ASEs too! I would take the advice and trade for rarer coins that would more likely retain their value over time. I gotta bag full of Kennedys I'd gladly trade for a $3 gold!

MY personal opinion. Hang on to the silver coins. If it is a short deal and prices drops again you really have not lost anything. If it is sustained and there is an actual melt down even common coins may end up with a lot lower population.

I heard so many stories about the craziness of that time.  People were going into department stores and buying silverware and selling it for a profit as the price rose so fast it more than compensated for the department store markup!  If we saw a huge spike like that again, without a commensurate increase in wages and other consumer prices, I would likely dump all of my bullion, maybe even my unc rolls of ASEs too!  I would take the advice and trade for rarer coins that would more likely retain their value over time.  I gotta bag full of Kennedys I'd gladly trade for a $3 gold!

On one of the investment forums there is a guy who bought MS63 slabbed double eagle saints and believed they were investment quality stuff

He paid 15% mark up whatever that may mean

Gold went up 50% since he bought and he went to sell and found out he could only get 15% mark down

So 115 buy and he gets 135 sell so he gets like 20 out of a 50 rise loosing like 30 in commission

Just because he believed the salesperson that those MS 63 were rare

I do not think we will be able to trade up for rarer coins because they probably will go up faster then the "common" stuff anyway :ninja:

Archived