CoinPeople.com

Well, did anyone win a Reiver coin yet?

AuldFartte

I didn't :lol:

I only bid on two lots (early copper) and I got clobbered.

They went for much higher prices than I expected :ninja:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't tried any lots yet but things seem to be going for strong money so far. Tomorrow I will bid on my first lot. Even if I don't win anything, the 3-volume auction catalog Heritage sent me is a keeper.

I didn't even bid ---- yet. I have a friend who's at the sale and will bid live for me if I can justify spending the kind of money that's being spent.

The EAC has their annual convention in Palm Beach in May. They have a huge auction of Half and Large Cents at the meeting. I had wanted to save for that. I'm sure there'll be a few marked-up Reiver coins there.

Blown out of the water on the 3 large cents I bid on...but I am currently the high bidder on all 4 halves on which I have bids--all of which are currently under half of my maxes.  Wish me luck.

Absolutely. Please let us know how you do on this.

Blown out of the water on the 3 large cents I bid on...but I am currently the high bidder on all 4 halves on which I have bids--all of which are currently under half of my maxes.  Wish me luck.

Good luck !!! :ninja:

Just placed a last second snipe on one of this afternoon's lots. Lets see if it holds up at the floor auction.

Well, there was a nicely toned 1829 half that I was bidding on, and it's now being bid higher than my 1830 half which I believe is a superior coin. There are several common Saints I considered adding to my set, but they are now being bid a full grade ahead of the slabbed grade (which in itself may be a bit generous). There are MS-63 coins going to MS-64 money and MS-64 coins going for MS-65 money! In this sale, I am only bidding on coins I'd want in my collection, and that's not working out well. Perhaps there are bargains for those who only want a coin from the collection, but for me I'd rather not waste $50 or $100 on a coin I don't need just for the pedigree!

Yipee! :ninja: Got me a Reiver trime! See linky below.

Paid a small premium over book but if it looks anything like the pics, I did OK. Somehow this one sold for less than a non-cameo version of the same date & grade.

Of course now I have to sell the one currently in my type set. Should cover most of the cost of this one.

1866 3CS PR64 CAMEO

GPNYC: That trime is gorgeous !!! :ninja:

Congratulations!!!

I put in 2 stupid toned money, flush your money down the toilet, bids on a couple of them.... both lost. Amazing,, but I'm glad that I now have absolute proof that there are folks out there more foolish than me.

Lots of what I'd consider ugly coins in the collection,,, can't believe they are getting premium's. Neat to watch the money go around in the tidy bowl though.

Yipee! :ninja: Got me a Reiver trime!  See linky below.

Paid a small premium over book but if it looks anything like the pics, I did OK.  Somehow this one sold for less than a non-cameo version of the same date & grade.

Of course now I have to sell the one currently in my type set.  Should cover most of the cost of this one.

1866 3CS PR64 CAMEO

That trime is sweet!

I just threw in 2 bids on Reiver Barber Halves.It would be neat to win one or the other,even though Reiver was known for other coins. I also have bids out on ebay for stuff which also closes today.On Friday my wife bought a dining room set for $4ooo plus.Did I tell everyone that I'm on Disability for a broken hand? Talk about collector insanity. :ninja:

http://coins.heritagegalleries.com/common/...91&Lot_No=29137

Here is my winner! I don't think this coin is VF35.However IMHO a VF35 should go for $130-140.The market has spoken which is why this coin went for what it did.I'd grade it VF20 which to me is worth about what I paid for it.When I sell it hopefully the pedigree and NGC VF35 will pay off for me.A month ago I never heard of Jules Reiver.He was a great collector and said to his son to sell each coin individually to spread them out to many different collectors as possible.He wrote coin books and gave lectures and was by all accounts a good person.Add to this he was a WWII veteran and you have a nice pedigree.Clever marketing? Maybe.Every time I hold this coin I will take a certain amount of pride above the fact that IMHO it is overgraded.Thats what coin collecting is all about.

Archived