CoinPeople.com

Well, did anyone win a Reiver coin yet?

AuldFartte

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
All my bids were trounced so bad I'm about to cry me a Reiver... :ninja:

Me too. I put in a couple of bids at a full grade above the certified grade (redbook prices) and got beat by 1 bid increment on both.... nuts !,,, glad I didn't win them, would have suffered from bidders remorse for months had I won them at full bid. Guess I'll stick with non-peti.greed coins of equivalent of superior condition and save a few hundred also.

There was a nicely toned 1829 half dollar in there, graded AU-55, and I bid almost as much as I paid for my 1830 half (the one I entered in the PCI). Keep in mind my 1830 was a slightly better die marriage (R-3) vs the Reiver coin (R-1) and I bid almost what I paid for my 1830 (which graded MS-61 by NGC). The coin ended up going for double my bid, and the person who bought it posted photos on the NGC forum, and all I can say is that I'm happy with the coin I own and would have been very disappointed had I won that coin with my lower bid!

Me too.  I put in a couple of bids at a full grade above the certified grade (redbook prices) and got beat by 1 bid increment on both.... nuts !,,, glad I didn't win them, would have suffered from bidders remorse for months had I won them at full bid.  Guess I'll stick with non-peti.greed coins of equivalent of superior condition and save a few hundred also.

Good thinking. In 50 years everyone will be bemoaning their bidding failure in the great bahabully sale :ninja:

I was blown out on my bids in the Signature auction but I did manage to win one coin in the internet only session...a 1876 quarter.

Did I pay more than the coin was worth? Absolutely not. In fact, it is impossible to pay more for a coin than it is worth--AT LEAST TO YOU! If the price for it was higher than its worth to you then you would not have bought it.

Did I pay more than the "book value"? Absolutely...but that is a totally different thing.

I've paid premium to book value for coins that I really wanted before and understand/appreciate the AT LEAST TO YOU principal.... but dang!,,, somewhere the AT LEAST TO YOU principal reaches a point lunacy. In my mind the prices for the coins I bid on surpassed what a friend of mine called the bass boat principal.

In short, he said if your ready to stand naked in a cold shower and toss $20's down the drain for a solid hour, then your ready to buy a bass boat,,,, or in this case, IMO, one of these coins.

I ain't ready. Maybe after I hit the powerball I'd be ok with it.....or not.

In short, he said if your ready to stand naked in a cold shower and toss $20's down the drain for a solid hour, then your ready to buy a bass boat,

Better be careful. Some of us fisherman (and ladies) may take some offense to that :ninja:

Anyways, earlier today I saw a Reiver large cent on the Ebay. Went for a pretty penny too.....more like about 17,500 pennies!

Ooops, I thought this was the BassMasters forum. Guess I'm out of the closet,,, I admit it, I've been cheating,,, I,, uh,, I lo,, I love.... I love fishing too ! ................ AND I HAVE A DANG BASS BOAT BY NOW TOO IF IT WEREN'T FOR YOU (COINS). /in song/,,, Torn between to lovers, feeling like.....etc.

17,500 pennies on ebay, huh? I'm guessing buyers remorse, and would be surprised if the wallet was as big after the sale as it was before the purchase. Whatcha recken? I'd be interested in seeing the delta between the bounce from Heritage purchase to the ebay sale.

Got an ebay listing #?

Archived