CoinPeople.com

Coin Shows on Shop At Home TV

joanjet

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I watched a little of it last night but it just gets tedious for me watching the drone on endlessly about boring common coins. Though I did get a kick out of them challenging us to find VG or better walkers for less than $4.99 each (I was at a local show last week and one dealer had a whole tray of them for $3.00 each).

I love it when they bring out the state quarters and act like they are selling coins minted by God Himself. Just cracks me up.

Yet that is good business so from a business stand point, you can't blaim them.

I like it when he pulls a state quarter out of his pocket that looks like it had been laying and run over in the road for a month. Then he says this is the quality of coin that most people are collecting.

My heart skipped a beat last night when they were quickly running through a series of excellent quality rare coins (bust dollars to double eagles, funny how they rush through those but spend half an hour on a roll of BU 21 Morgans :ninja: ) but they had an HR wire rim Saint, for $20K, abd the graphics on the screen said MS-64 (PCGS) which is about a 35% discount to the value of that coin, but alas it was just a typo, as the coin was actually graded MS-61, which is only worth $15K to $17K. I wonder if I called and demanded the MS-64 as advertised what they would have done?

Shop at Home currently has a deal for an entire set of Silver Eagles BU for $299.00 - this is part of their weekend deal. That price goes away on Monday unless it sells out. They have the exact same set on their website but with an Intercept album thrown in for $499.00. Am I missing something here? Does anyone think that the $299 price is good? I am thinking about buying it, but would appreciate some opinions. Thanks.

$299 isn't a bad deal on a complete set of BU SAE's, in my opinion. I have been thinking of doing an SAE set myself but my budget entails that I will probably do it a coin or two at a time. :ninja:

As far as the replated steel cents...I too think they are worth very little from a collector standpoint.

Shop at Home currently has a deal for an entire set of Silver Eagles BU for $299.00 - this is part of their weekend deal.  That price goes away on Monday unless it sells out.  They have the exact same set on their website but with an Intercept album thrown in for $499.00.  Am I missing something here?  Does anyone think that the $299 price is good?  I am thinking about buying it, but would appreciate some opinions.  Thanks.

what is an "entire set"?

redbook (some prices are high im sure) says between $250 and $1300 depending ifon the mints, P being the higher. Looks like your big boys are a '93 P ($185), '94 P ($200)'95 P ($175), and a '95 W is $3500 :ninja:

Souunds like a good deal to me and if you are happy with it this it was a great deal!!! ;)

-Bobby

what is an "entire set"?

redbook (some prices are high im sure) says between $250 and $1300 depending ifon the mints, P being the higher. Looks like your big boys are a '93 P ($185), '94 P ($200)'95 P ($175), and a '95 W is $3500 :ninja:

Me thinks those sound like the proofs. ;) The set that she got is a complete set of Uncircs. Still not a bad deal, though. I would have paid about the same at one of my favorite online dealers. I might have got a little better at a local dealer IF he had a complete set which is always iffy. Ebay is showing BINs at higher than $299.

Thanks, guys. It was for an uncirculated set. They said tonight that each coin should be MS-67 or better. I am collecting a slabbed set right now, one coin per month in an MS-69 grade. Yes, I screwed up on the pennies, but I did not hear them mention that they were reprocessed. From now on, if I am interested in something from these guys, I will listen to the pitch and then find the item online and "read the fine print" as it were. It's too late for me to send the pennies back, I bought those months ago, but I have until January - because of the Christmas holiday - to send SAE's back. And I will if I do not like them.

I just think it is funny that they have the exact same set on their website as well for $499 w/the album. If I worked there, I would at least remove that item until the lower priced set was sold out, wouldn't you? I think I am going to send them an e-mail and see if I get a response. I have affectionatly named them the "Coin Shysters."

;);):ninja:

They had a different sidekick on there this morning when they were selling a BU roll of 21 Morgans yammering on and on about these "100% silver dollars." I know it's a technicality, but if your selling .900 fine coins, they cannot be 100% silver! Ugh!

Your $299 set of silver eagles sound like a pretty fair deal, maybe a few dollars over. You figure the 96 is the key at about $38 raw, most of the others are in teh $9 to $13 range, except for the 97 at about $18, and the 86 at about $15, add in the album for $20, and it's pretty reasonable.

Well they have to have a deal in there somewhere! the old "Bait & hook" trick, then they will set you-up on the other items!!!!!!!!They also most probebly already went through them for the high-grade ones and send them off to get graded higher and then sell you the coin for 50 times more!!!!!Bait& hook....... :ninja:

Your $299 set of silver eagles sound like a pretty fair deal, maybe a few dollars over.  You figure the 96 is the key at about $38 raw, most of the others are in teh $9 to $13 range, except for the 97 at about $18, and the 86 at about $15, add in the album for $20, and it's pretty reasonable.

I can understand if they sell a lot of those sets. Not too badly priced and buying the complete set at one time is nice.

< I just think it is funny that they have the exact same set on their website as well for $499 w/the album. If I worked there, I would at least remove that item until the lower priced set was sold out, wouldn't you? >

It's called marketing. You have a bunch of a slow moving item at a given price. So you put it on "sale" at that same price or even higher and show a "regular" price that is considerably higher. People think they are getting a bargin and the things fly out the door. Even if you are charging more for them than you were last week. The whole shop at home program is set up that way. That is why you will constantly see them comparing their price to some outrageously high catalog price. It is to convince the gullible that they are getting a bargin. Well in this case they can compare it to their own high regular price.

< They had a different sidekick on there this morning when they were selling a BU roll of 21 Morgans yammering on and on about these "100% silver dollars." I know it's a technicality, but if your selling .900 fine coins, they cannot be 100% silver! >

It depends on how it is "punctuated" Are they selling "100% silver" dollars? (meaning the dollars are made of 100% silver which is false.) Or 100%, Silver dollars? (Meaning that there are no dollars in he group that are not made of silver, which is true.) Same words, but two totally different meanings and the only difference is the tonal inflection on how you say it or whether you put a slight pause after 100%.

This is why I say when people claim that they have heard them making false statement that you have to be VERY careful in noting EXACTLY what they say. They are very good at skirting the line of legality and they are trained in exactly what to say and how to say it to stay just on the edge of legality,

That's an even more interesting way of saying it. From that you can't which one they mean. It allows them to say it so that the unknowledgeable will assume it refers to the purity of the coin, but if they are ever called on it they can claim it just means that they are silver and not clad. They have a truly clever script writer. I think we should break his kneecaps. :ninja:

I always get a kick out of watching the overpriced stuff they peddle on the Canadian version of this; Certainly catered to non-collectors, and furthermore those who don't have a clue about values. My favorite part is when they put up the diferent Canadian cased dollars(50% silver), which mostly catalogue around $7.00 Canadian. Most of them are the 1970's, then they get the "bait and hook" by telling you a fact like, "If you were to buy the current issue of the cased silver dollar, you would pay $40.00" (or some where around there), per cased silver dollar. They fail to mention the ones they are selling are 50% and the new issue ones are 90%. Makes me want to upchuck :ninja:;)

Every mint or proof set they have, I'am sure they all have been gone through for high grades, there sellin off the commons getting there money back, they are purely after the cammeos and high grades period, then they have them graded and make a KILLIN on the 67-70 grades.! :ninja:

Archived