CoinPeople.com

A really nice hit...

syzygy

This morning, I headed down to the snack bar / cafeteria at work to grab a cup coffee. I have always exchanged a few pleasantries with the fellow behind the cash register. He has always seen me checking my change and after a few times he realized that I was not thinking that the change he gave me was incorrect, I was just interested in the coins. We usually exchange a few remarks when there are some new SQs and such, so he knows I am a collector.

Today, he says he has something for me...and he gives me....

this

Whoaaaa where did you get those?? At the bank, when he got his regular change...two rolls were of these...and he saved them for me. So, for $4 he made my day!

Then, at lunch, he says, wait, I found some more...and he gives me...

these

Yesssssssss I say, and hand him a 10-spot!

Now, I don't expect to find anything rare and I have already gone through most of them - about half are no dates and the others are common...but still, what a great hit!!

Looks like a collector, or ex-collector, or someone, was liquidating for face value. I am resisting any sadness with that and just figure that they have found another home.

Several years ago, back in about 1998, my wife and I were going to be travelling to Toronto Canada, too see "Phantom of the Opera" etc. Anyway, one day my 85 yr old neighbour comes over with a bag of coins to give to us. She said she had them for a lot of years, and she never got back to Canada to spend them, so she asked us if we would take them and use them for spending money.

There were numerous large cents, GV 5 cents, etc. The latest dates were in the late 1920's.

I gave them back to her, and told her that they were quite valuable, many of the cents were uncommon dates in nice grade, and that I would help her value them and buy them from her or sell them for her. Unfortunately we never got a chance too, it just never came up again and she died two years later. After that I can guess her family unloaded all her coins, banknotes etc for a pittance.

Oh Man!!! I dont know what I would of done if someone handed me all those coins. I didnt realize you could just go to the bank and get those.....although like Lost Dutchman said.....someones missing a few coins out of their collection. Nice Find though.....I do like the old old coins. Im not much of a collector as I have stated before, but I dont love to think about the history of old coins....who had them first, what they purchased with these coins.....so on and so on. Its fun :ninja:

Yeah...me either, only just now finally got one of the new Buffs in change, but as far as the old one....no. Before I met Bobby, IF I had gotten an old Buff I probably (no Im sure) I would of asked, "Whats this?" I just dont think I would of known that it was actual spendable money. Kinda sad, huh? :ninja:

Archived