Would you buy a replica?

Drusus

Would you buy a replica?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy a replica?

• No, I would not buy a replica coin
    • Yes, I would buy a replica coin
    • I would and HAVE bought replica coins

In a perfect world I have no problem with replica coins...my only problem with them is that replica coins are often sold to people who will turn around and try to sell it as authentic.

When I buy coins, I dont want a replica...I would never buy a replica. I might buy fantasy coins...but never a replica. If I cant afford the real deal I just dont have it in my collection. I have asked around to fellow collectors and none collectors alike and nobody I have discussed this with said they would want to buy a replica. The makers of these replica coins must be making money or they would not be making them...so who is buying replica coins in the amount that would keep people in the business of making them?

Would YOU buy a replica coin? Have you bought one?

I have a few replicas of large cents. These are coins that I would never buy, even if I hit the lottery. But the replicas are neat to inspect as I really like the designs.

While I would not buy one, I don't see anything wrong with it for those who are happy collecting such things.

I have a very well made full size replica of a 1915S Panama Pacific $50 Gold Piece, the round version.

To own a real one would cost $150000, and I can leave it out and laugh when people ask if it's solid gold...

Otherwise I own no replicas. I don't even use Sweet and Low in my coffee... :ninja:

Most replicas are pretty ugly.

GMM however made really nice quality early American replicas that I do own.

Antiquanova makes some pretty decent ancient copies and you see many of thier coins being resold on ebay by 3rd party sellers.

Depends on what you mean by replica. I have some restrikes of French medals sruck at the Paris mint. Technically, they are a replica, technically they are struck by the Paris mint and are therefore an official issue. I have some relicas of colonial era coins that fall within the so-called dollar series, again replicas but not ones that would ever be mistaken for originals. I have some cuff links somewhere with replica Greek gold coins, a museum purchase very many years ago. None, however, purchased to fill a hole in my collection.

I voted no. I agree, there is nothing wrong with collecting them or having one in your collection but I seem to be a purist. I'd rather leave a gaping hole in the 1894-S spot in my barber dime collection to remind me the collection isn't complete to my standards.

I bought a couple for the Mrs as she wanted to turn them into rings, they were Alexander The Great Tetradrachm LOL no way would i have let her do that to a real coin :ninja:

I voted no.

Anyone can buy anything they want or can afford. If replicas are the only way to fill a need, then buy them.

Now, if someone were to gift me a nice replica, then I would smile and say, 'Thank You', and I would appreciate their thoughtfulness.

corky

I have no problem with replica coins as long as they are marked. Otherwise I consider them counterfeits.

I have a nice pile of well, and not so well made replica coins, I enjoy them for a few reasons.

First off, I can carry them around in my pocket and show them to people interested, but only unusual or rare date ones.

Secondly, I am an artist by trade, and I view replicas like I view a print of a painting or a copy of a sculpture, as I said as long as they are marked, all is well.

Thirdly, (is that a word?) I occasionally use them in jewelry I design...they are cheaper than using real coins, look nice, reduce my initial cost, and my final pricing. (Most people like that! haha)

Lastly, I only buy copies when they are dirt cheap, interesting, unusual (Or extremely crude, which I find amusing), or just plain fun.

I DO NOT however, use copies to fill holes in my albums, they are novelty items and are not meant to fill that O-so-important gaping hole in your album.

Figured since I just got a replica. The La Grange Chicken House token. It was cheap enough and was bought just a few miles from La Grange. Yes, but as far as one to fill a slot in my Morgan collection no. I still would love to get one of the real tokens they auctioned off when they closed it.

As already noted this depends on what you mean by Replica. There are copies, replicas, counterfeits, fakes, etc. For example there is a growing market for really great counterfeits lately. If done artistically and with fairly accurate metalic details, they are bringing in some high prices. Oddly enough if the counterfeit is of a not to expensive coin, the counterfeit will be valued higher by counterfeit collectors than the original.

Many copies are stamped or engraved with the word copy on the reverse and are never as well made as a counterfeit. Seldom sold for any decent prices similar to just fakes.

Replicas on the other hand can be in the form of a coaster, plate, clock face, etc. Many of the replicas in the shape of a metalic glass coaster used to sell for about a dollar. Now I've seen them at coin shows for about five dollars. Those replicas are becoming a collectors item. About 5" accross. I had many but gave to a kid.

by replica I mean:

1. a copy or reproduction.

2. any close or exact copy or reproduction.

of the type you see marked replica...a close reproduction of a real coin type. Not the novelty large / small coins, clock coin, etc..etc...not illegal counterfeits...coins made to look as close as possible to the real deal sold as a replica.

by replica I mean:

1. a copy or reproduction.

2. any close or exact copy or reproduction.

of the type you see marked replica...a close reproduction of a real coin type. Not the novelty large / small coins, clock coin, etc..etc...not illegal counterfeits...coins made to look as close as possible to the real deal sold as a replica.

No, I have no interest in replicas. But, I have knowingly bought counterfeit coins and will continue to do so as they come available. As Just Carl said above I will oftem pay multiples more for an interesting comtemporary counterfeit then I would have for a genuine coin of the same date/grade.

A friend once asked me, philosophically, whether it would make any difference whether the diamonds she was wearing were fake or real, IF SHE WERE UNABLE HERSELF TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE. She didn't understand how people could spend so much when they themselves weren't able to tell the difference between the fake and the real thing.

If one accepts (and that's a big if) that such quality "fakes" could actually be produced, I of course replied that I would simply be driven to learn more and more about how to distinguish one from the other. I have no interest in replicas of coins or medals; I want the real thing because I want somehow to feel I possess the history along with the beauty. I am happy however to have replicas of paintings, prints, engravings, etc.....

A friend once asked me, philosophically, whether it would make any difference whether the diamonds she was wearing were fake or real, IF SHE WERE UNABLE HERSELF TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE. If one accepts (and that's a big if) that such quality "fakes" could actually be produced, I of course replied that I would simply be driven to learn more and more about how to distinguish one from the other. I want the real thing because I want somehow to feel I possess the history along with the beauty.

MY thoughts exactly. If I bought a replica I would feel like I just spent money I could have put to the real thing. Luckily I love all kinds of coins, tokens and medals so I am happy with a cheap authentic coin as well as ones that are more rare or outstanding.

For all of those who said no, I have to ask, "You would never buy an 1804 dollar? The King of All US coins and you still wouldn't buy it?" Crazy :ninja:

I do have a few GMM copies of the Athens owl series from the dekadrachm on down. If I ever did buy a dekadrachm I certainly wouldn't leave it lying around like I do these. I also have a few replicas that I bought from some German museums. These aren't great and I think they were mostly impulse buys at the gift shop.

I'm curious. I've seen quite a few "replica" coins being sold in museums and whatnot and they look fairly convincing. However, anyone with experience...even a little...would be able to tell the real ones from the copies...but none of these "replica" coins are stamped with anything to distinquish them from the originals. Most of these are colonial and prior coin series. I am wondering how they can get away with it? Or rather, are they doing something that they should not be? Does the informational packet that accompanies them constitute a valid "copy coin" statement?

I'm curious. I've seen quite a few "replica" coins being sold in museums and whatnot and they look fairly convincing. However, anyone with experience...even a little...would be able to tell the real ones from the copies...but none of these "replica" coins are stamped with anything to distinquish them from the originals. Most of these are colonial and prior coin series. I am wondering how they can get away with it? Or rather, are they doing something that they should not be? Does the informational packet that accompanies them constitute a valid "copy coin" statement?

If you are talking US museums then it seems like they should be stamping copy on the items to be in full compliance with the law. The only excemptions I see are replicas made by governments.

Hobby Protection Act

Sec. 304.3 Applicability.

Any person engaged in the manufacturing, or importation into the United States for introduction into or distribution in commerce, of imitation political or imitation numismatic items shall be subject to the requirements of the Act and the regulations promulgated thereunder.

It appears they should be marked, I'll have to take a closer look next time I go to a museum. I am somewhat curious of the meaning of the above section. I am not well-versed in legalese, so I may be wrong in my thinking. But if you knowingly buy counterfeits/imitations/replicas/copies/whathaveyou, that you are not required to have them stamped copy or whatever as long as they are never intended to go into commerce. It's either the muddy wording, or an huge loophole in the HPA.

Archived