CoinPeople.com

Worldwide Ebay Strike on 18-25 Feb 2008

see323

The ebay fees are increasing. It affects both Ebay sellers and Ebay buyers. It will cost more to sell and it will cost more to buy.

I am sure most of us here sell and buy banknotes through ebay.

The sellers and buyers are gathering for a worldwide strike this coming 18 to 25 Feb 2008.

See Youtube :

See CNN : http://money.cnn.com/2008/02/07/smbusiness...t.fsb/index.htm

I haven't listed anything in a few weeks... where usually I keep it stocked... Its just becoming not worth it any more... Im gonna take the time and money I was spending on e bay and put it in my website. With a google adwords campaign and a complete site redesign... will i still list some stuff on e bay??? prob.. but not nearly as much as I have been.

Thats corporate greed for ya...

I can understand and respect the fact that Ebay and Paypal want to make a profit on the services they sell. But we dont need to be paying their CEO millions of dollars a year. They hike up their rates becuse they want more money.....

After a disappointing results situation with eBay, I think I will just sell directly off of my site and see how that does ...

... Im gonna take the time and money I was spending on e bay and put it in my website...

If you haven't got one yet, put in a link to your ebay items to your own sites. I always try to use a sellers personal site (if I know of it) rather than Ebay because of Ebays hefty fees. It's too bad, but it's evidently what Ebay wants.

Hm. Figures. Well, I've also received coupons, business cards, etc. with websites in with the shipment stating that there are slightly lower prices on the personal sites, so where there's a will, there's a way. Good luck, whatever you wind up doing.

It really makes it a bit harder for a bankntoes collector - there's not a singe place in the town I live in that sells anything but junk or too $pendy for me US banknotes. I rely solely on the Internet to get my stuff, but I'm starting to find more and more on sites other than Ebay.

I like ebay...they have a great exposure to buyers, a great many sellers and they remain probably the cheapest way to sell to a large amount save on a forum like this or on ones own site...I like most of the changes as well.

They cant win with a lot of people...they keep costs down and keep a largely hands off policy (buyer beware) and people will complain, they charge a bit more and look to rectify problems and be more alert and people complain...

I just got a feedback form asking me about my experiences on ebay and I couldnt lie, I have had very few bad experiences and none that I couldnt work out and move on from with little problems. All the sellers I deal with on a regular basis are still there with great feedback scores.

The no neg from sellers aspect is a smart move. How many times have YOU given a business a feedback card to rate you as a customer....never I would say...its not haw REAL business works. They have balanced it out nicely so sellers do have recourse and are rewarded for good sells and negative go away.

A week long boycott won't really effect eBay. It's the same as boycotting 1 oil company because of the price of gas. Even if everyone in the US boycotted every gas company. Eventually your car will need gas and you will buy.

I wish there was another site that was a better alternative, hopefully in time there will be.

All true!

I have never had a bad experience with Ebay either, and I've sold only a couple things, so I can't complain about their increased prices on listing items to sell. But If I see someone has their own site, I try to use that one instead - though there are a few that are hard to use and are horrible to even look at, so I use their Ebay listings instead.

As far as the boycott itself goes, I don't think there are too many people that will do it. Like Brett said, it's the same as boycotting the gas companies. Does nothing but put off going there for a short time.

In the end they will never be able to please everyone, there will always be people who have a problem with something that grows very big and successful. Because you cant please everyone there will always be people who will have them in the crosshairs. If one finds a better alternative, all the scammers and a-holes will find that alternative...and they are the ones that truly ruin ebay. That alternative will grow large and will have to try to please everyone and will then have people bitching about how awful THEY are. As mainly a buyer, I wont say I find great bargains there but I find it a good market place. My main problem with ebay are more often other members (a few sellers I have experienced) who dont treat selling there like a business, people who have terrible customer relations.

But my #1 problem with ebay is sniping and the fact it is not a real auction...in a real auction nobody can snipe in the last few seconds (or these days 5 people)...thus you always have a chance to change your mind and put in another bid. I think someone needs an online auction system that is time based....but if a person puts a bid in in the last 5 minutes...the auction extends another 30 mins to an hour to allow the other bidders a chance to bid again :ninja:

whats funny is I just saw a guy who sells here and there complaining about his coins not going for much on ebay, a guy who has said before that he snipes last second...this is one reason why stuff sells cheaper these days...

I dont know how many time I have been the only bid for 5-6 days, then a person comes in a snipes it last second and after 5-6 days of looking at the item in my list...I probably would have been willing to bid more after that. I know a lot of coins sell very cheap because nobody will bid on something until 5 seconds before the end of the auction.

I like ebay...they have a great exposure to buyers, a great many sellers and they remain probably the cheapest way to sell to a large amount save on a forum like this or on ones own site...I like most of the changes as well.

They cant win with a lot of people...they keep costs down and keep a largely hands off policy (buyer beware) and people will complain, they charge a bit more and look to rectify problems and be more alert and people complain...

I just got a feedback form asking me about my experiences on ebay and I couldnt lie, I have had very few bad experiences and none that I couldnt work out and move on from with little problems. All the sellers I deal with on a regular basis are still there with great feedback scores.

The no neg from sellers aspect is a smart move. How many times have YOU given a business a feedback card to rate you as a customer....never I would say...its not haw REAL business works. They have balanced it out nicely so sellers do have recourse and are rewarded for good sells and negative go away.

How much is it going to be then? I only ask as I have a load of Doctor Who videos (yes oboslete technology but there's about 60-70 stories yet to be released on DVD in the UK so they still sell) I want to sell off for cheap but if it's going to be too dear I won't bother.

However I agree, I've never had a problem with Ebay at all, been a really good site IMO.

I've tried to sell an extra rare set of 1 and 10 Reichspfennig 1945 E on ebay and after 3-4 days my auction was removed because of "offensive (nazi) item". Hmmm. My coins were the only coins with swastika listed in the history of ebay? As a seller, my strike on ebay is 4-5 months old.

I've tried to sell an extra rare set of 1 and 10 Reichspfennig 1945 E on ebay and after 3-4 days my auction was removed because of "offensive (nazi) item". Hmmm. My coins were the only coins with swastika listed in the history of ebay? As a seller, my strike on ebay is 4-5 months old.

You've probably been the victim of some idiot who has nothing better to do & reported the item FNAR. The UK site seems to have coins with the Swastika on them, maybe it's a regional thing?

Do you still have them? I have been looking for examples of those, they are much scarcer than the Berlin coins.

I have been on eBay since 1999 and have had very few problems.

In the first three years I made enough money to buy an Audi A4, my dream car, and wouldn't have it were it not for eBay.

I have also found many great coins there and have even made some friends.

I haven't sold much in the last year or so due to the higher fees and very little spare time due to a new job.

EBay may not be perfect but it's still pretty good.

Now would be a good time to have a competitor jump in. What do you think?

there are lots of competitors, I use plunderhere.com no listing fees and a somewhat large community. It's definitely growing there!

Archived