CoinPeople.com

How much do you spend...

Tiffibunny

Have to admit, this is a great post!

I set aside $80 a month in cash, and when I have $500 or $600, off to the local coin store I go. Inbetween, if I see something I like (which is usually under $100 an item) I PayPal for it using my credit union savings.

But there is a big show coming up in Saint Louis in May of next year that I am saving for. I hope to have $2k or $3k to take with me to that one.

Did you go? I hear it was a super show.

My output of money for coins varies massively. There are numerous coin shows, coin shops, hobby stores with coins and flea markets full of coin dealers and I go to mostly all of them. There are many times when I spend nothing and many times when I spend way to much. Example is last Sunday at a coin show I blew over $2,000 on just 2 coins. Many times like today I went to a coin show and a flea market with coin dealers and spent nothing.

I have gone several months with out purchasing and Once i have spent around 2000 in a month but as a whole i do not have a budget and MAybe 50-75 a month

Since most of the coins and medals I am actively looking for are under $100 and fairly scarce I'm just buying them as I find them.

Did you go? I hear it was a super show.

Ah Art, the CSNS in Saint Louis. Well, it was great. Now you have to temper that

with the fact that I have only been to the local Springfield coin show in the past,

so this was my first experience at any kind of a regional show. But it was for me,

a success.

I was able to meet several WINS members there: Joe Garbarini, of Maryland Heights,

Missouri, WINS #9, David Noble, of Saint Louis, Missouri, WINS #204, Ray Larson,

of Nevada, Iowa, WINS #20, John Mundwiller, of South Saint Louis, WINS #525,

Meir Sapir, of Tel Aviv, Israel, WINS #588, John Baumgart, of Chicago, Illinois,

WINS #???, Jason Craton, of Seattle, Washington, WINS #5. It was a great time to meet

everyone and talk about our favorite subject… food! No, wait, numismatic related of

course. But Joe did put on a great reception on Thursday evening that did include great

food and good drink, but soft and hard.

I was able to pick up some coins, a 1916-D Winged Liberty Head dime, a 1913 and

1931 Bust Half and a fourth issue fractional currency 50 cent with Lincoln portrait.

So I did good.

The show was in the convention center attached to the sports arena where the Saint Louis

Rams play football, so even though it is downtown, right near the Mississippi river, it is

easy to find and get in and out of. My Garmin GPS unit came in very handy for navigating

the streets of Saint Louis.

There is a script show in Saint Louis in the fall that I plan on attending, but that will be out

by the airport in the Hilton convention center.

So overall, Central States was a very good experience for me. Plan on going back.

I don't have a budget. Because I would not stick to it if I had one. If I have the money and I like the coin or need it to file a slot in an album i'll buy it. So far this month I have spent close to $700.00. Some months I spend more some months I spend less.

My budget this year has shrank quite a bit, but I am still able to get some killer items now and then for cheap. I spend about $20 a week on average right now, but since summer has started again I will hopefully be able to budget in $50 a week. But then again I have a lot more bills this summer, and the PA state grant was cut off because I've used it for 4 years already, so I need to save a bit more. At this rate, it's buy what I like, when I see it, IF I can afford it. :ninja:

• 1 year later...

I don't have a budget as such but my average monthly spending amount is another story... :ninja:

I can only imagine what Clive spends in a month on coins. Whew. I had gone for more than a year with no purchases at all so I'm overdoing it a bit. But my normal monthly thing would be 30-50 dollars but I need to save for the annual sets from the Mint, especially this year.

I'm so far behind in my own personal collection that I need to budget in four more sets for the year so far. My budget is not necessarily how much money as it s how many sets/coins. I try to get at least 1-2 sets monthly for my birth year collection.

I go through cycles (Contract work so when I have work and when I don't) I have spent nothing for about 3 months but since I started 2.5years ago I have spent around $8000AUD I am about 2 months off another big buy so maybe another few thousand.

I am much more limited by my time to scan and sort my collection since the vast majority is not that expensive.

My budget never really rose all that much from 2007, lol. Although I got that nice 1859 Indian head cent the other week, normally I still spend about $50 a month if I can fit it in, but school and bills take priority over everything. I've actually sold more coins in the last year than I purchased. But hey, no use in hoarding everything, right?

Archived