CoinPeople.com

Vfox's Vfinds

Vfox

Jeesh, it's been a while! I've gotten quite a few things but have been so busy lately I haven't been able to photograph any of it. But I had a few spare moments, so I thought I'd give a few highlights real quick.

I'm planning on completing a set of large cents, at first by style, but I ran into this little hoard so maybe by date from the classic head on.

Anyway:

6kym8ub.jpg

8evl5ig.jpg

82stsef.jpg

This one I actually found in a bag of wheatbacks, I think it's a end of the sheet strike because the last 1/4 of it isn't struck, and half as thick. The bad part is, it doesn't have a complete date, so your guess is as good as mine.

71f2wm1.jpg

6lai4gx.jpg

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That collection I've been selling for a friend. I've been able to get some really great coins from the collection in exchange for any fees I might have charged, there is also a G-ish 1795 large cent with a few scratches encirculing the bust in the lot as well. All of those large cents have issues however, only 1-2 are clean, but I still like having a stack like that, lol. I could just imagine a roll of 50 of those, haha!

He is the guy that just gave me, for no reason, a BU red 1983 DDR lincoln; blew me away with that one, lol.

• 5 months later...

Been a while again. Here are a few new coins I've gotten.

Russian 5 kopek. This thing is like a brick lol.

okos4y.jpg

jua99v.jpg

Prussian Germany 1913 3 mark 100 anniv. of the defeat of Napoleon I think. I have both the 2 and 3 mark of this one year type now, woot. This picture looks a little washed out, but the coin is a nice Unc.

2ewzll4.jpg

2d7w8z.jpg

I forgot to upload this one on this for some reason. 1586 Taler Saxony Germany of the Albertine line. This was the replacement of the 1580 that was stolen from me years ago.

23vffj5.jpg

2mdlbex.jpg

I'm not really sure what this is for, silver jubilee something or other. 1897 Swedish 2 kroner. I really liked the old style design though, so I picked it up at the coinshow this past weekend.

o6i9ab.jpg

eiqtyx.jpg

A few more:

This is so small, the cent is a size comparison. These are nicknamed The Panama Pill, lol. Neat, and thicker than two pennies stacked together!

i3ynw7.jpg

167trv8.jpg

1812 1 reale minted in Lima, Peru. I love these beat up silvers. I am working on a typeset of 8 reales starting with the pillar type...3 monarchs for the pillar (Philip V, Ferdinand VI, and Charles III) , then Charles III bust, and Charles IV and IIII styles and Ferdinand VII.

16la7np.jpg

2r4lwqx.jpg

I gatta be honest, I know nothing about this coin but I thought it was really neat and oddly cheap so I snagged it up. British West Indies I think.

2affib5.jpg

35ip4m1.jpg

1828 13 star obverse half cent. It has a dig above the bust but was hella cheap and has an overall nice look.

nvs653.jpg

2aeyoew.jpg

1897 50 kopek. I never owned one before and got this cheap at the show, it has some nice edge inscriptions.

x5t6o7.jpg

nwg7qu.jpg

The 1/2 cent gets all the more interesting when you look at especially the reverse and notice the multiple examples of repunched letters, most notably the N in cent. Also notice a couple of fissures that must have been forming in the die above the H and A of Half, the start of die cracking.

Yeah the half cent certainly has some life to it.

Thanks for looking up the value, I paid $4 for it so I don't feel bad at all, lol. And honestly I'd buy it at 8 without a second thought, it's a lovely design. Anyone have anymore for sale? Lol :ninja:

I also got a 1/2 duit and a 1 duit VOC coinage set in VG-ish condition for $4, I thought it was also a decent price for a pair of coins over 200 years old. I'll get photos up a bit later.

Okay here are some more coins I've gotten recently.

First off:

8 reale Zs (Zacatecas) Mexico mint, Assayer R.G. 1821 Ferdinand VII (26.04g)

This is a really interesting coin because of the crude look to it, it's not even close to round like the Mexico city mint's coins normally are.

140ztqe.jpg

akfhio.jpg

8 reale PTS (Potosi) Bolivia mint, Assayer P.J. 1814 Ferdinand VII with graffiti obv. (26.85g)

3169s9l.jpg

4v1mvd.jpg

1790 VOC 1 duit

16ab885.jpg

2u4sltf.jpg

1790 VOC 1/2 duit

2ntk28w.jpg

2hd600p.jpg

Colonial era half penny I can't really make much out on the obv. George III 1787 possible Mochin Mills (6.88g)

15plm52.jpg

2l8yjrk.jpg

neat 8-reales, are those chop marks or graffiti?

Graffiti unfortunately. I may end up turning this one into a jewelry coin so only the reverse will show anyway. I don't have to use solder though, I'd hate to do that to a nice coin, just a form of bezel instead.

Don't you love those summer paychecks? Anyway, some more stuff and a shot of my little pile of Spanish colonials.

8 reale PTS (Potosi) Bolivia mint, Assayer P.J. 1808 Charles IIII (carlos/carolus)(27.14g)

sy6ruu.jpg

2elrw53.jpg

Spanish 2 reale with Portugese crest top of shield. I still have to research this one.

The S below the shield is probably Philip IV (Philippus)1621-1665. It could be a later issued cob under Philip V though. Like I said, more research is needed.

4rani0.jpg

9laeip.jpg

1795 (maybe, hard to make out last digit) large cent.

11wac6u.jpg

d4fo1.jpg

My Spanish colonial issues, I really want this stack to grow! :ninja:

2mdh4ht.jpg

A few more:

This is so small, the cent is a size comparison. These are nicknamed The Panama Pill, lol.

Where did you get these great coins? Baltimore? Jealous.

Where did you get these great coins? Baltimore? Jealous.

Actually I got some from the York, Pa show on the 14th, my local dealer, and the 8 reales from eBay. So far I've gotten all my reales for under $60 but I'm fairly certain the Charles III and transitional 1789 and 1790 Charles IV/IIII issues will cost a bit more. The "Panama pill" seems to be a generally cheap coin, I think it was like $3.00 or something.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a reverse proof Kookaburra from 2000 recently. Nice design on these coins. I'll get some shots up tonight hopefully.

I got a reverse proof Kookaburra from 2000 recently. Nice design on these coins. I'll get some shots up tonight hopefully.

Okay here is my newest pile of stuff.

First off is my newest 8 reale. This one is a King Charles III 1786 offcenter on an oversize (41mm) planchet. Mintmark PTS (Potosi) Bolivia, Assayer P.R. Charles III (carlos/carolus)(26.74g) This coin has nice die clashes as well, notice the reverse "AROL" on the reverse near the bottom of the right pillar.

Now that I have the three easiest out of the way I have to work on the harder to find the transitional versions and all 3 pillar types and I finished the type set.

71my4y.jpg

zjcyo2.jpg

Next up is the Kookaburra ounce I was talking about. I really like this one, best in the series in my opinion.

2j3sh8x.jpg

famptt.jpg

Next is a British 1719 half penny of King George I. Looks like it was polished and retoned. This was a $0.50 junk bin find though so I'm happy!

20q051d.jpg

vowktg.jpg

Next is a British 1732 half penny of King George II. Another junk bin find. This one was in the 5 for a dollar bin! :ninja:

358ar7p.jpg

swx1zq.jpg

Next is another British 1735 half penny of George II, and another of the 5 for a dollar bin finds.

246m7mp.jpg

1ero6x.jpg

Next is a Japanese Mon from 1626-1769 according to the flip. I know basically nothing about it, but it was the first blank back one of these I've seen, and it was cheap so I grabbed it.

671c7d.jpg

348k66t.jpg

And finally a 1815 Canadian Prince Edward Island half penny token full of holes.

2r3bjhl.jpg

jzgz1t.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an Brazil under Portugal 960 Reis from 1815 struck overtop a 1814 Ferdinand VII of Spain 8 Reale minted in Santiago. I really like that nearly ever example of these coins are struck atop 8 Reales and what really gets me about this is that an 1814 8 reale from Santiago is worth 10 times as much as this 960 Reis. It's an interesting example.

xnrvo6.jpg

2rzrr46.jpg

Here is some detail of the host coin:

k4jebb.jpg

213kfgw.jpg

I've been busy. :ninja:

1811 Armored bust of Ferdinand VII

Mo (Mexico City) Mexico mintmark

Assayer H.J. 26.63g

This has strong central details but lacks a well struck edge, it is slightly oversized at 39.5mm so it could have been struck within a loose collar. I say this because the edge is missing the ◘o◘o◘o◘o◘o◘o pattern in two spots.

28kqcs2.jpg

zl9kq0.jpg

My newest in this run of 8 reales. This is just an extra, but I got it really cheap so I'm happy to adopt it. :ninja:

I am almost done on the bust 8 reales, all I need are the transitional of Charles III to Charles IIII (IV and IIII with Charles III bust) and the transitional of Charles IIII to Ferdinand VII (VII with bust of Charles IIII) and I have all the bust types.

1820 8 Reale of Ferdinand VII

Mint mark Mo (Mexico City) Mexico

Assayer J.J. 26.56g KM#111

10qdxu9.jpg

nohqq0.jpg

A few more things:

I got 30 of these Follis/Nummi type Byzantine age coins from Matt.

2vadogx.jpg

A 1801 King Charles IIII 2 reale from Bolivia under Spain (PTS/Potosi mint) Assayer P.P. 28mm 6.81g

2ir91j6.jpg

301n7rr.jpg

A double struck Netherlands E Indies 1/4 Stuiver.

nl4f4h.jpg

jp93yw.jpg

And I need help on this one. It's the only one like this I've ever owned and I don't really know anything about it. If anyone has any information I would appreciate it.

f1m8pl.jpg

29o1q38.jpg

Well....I finally got one of the transitional types....but it's been sea salvaged and turned into a brooch/pendant. Honestly I like how this was put together, I am making a chain to wear this on currently. I was thinking about removing the solder and added items but decided to keep them as is and find another one later that is problem free.

I have the other Charles III to Charles IIII transitional version 8 reale in the mail with Charles III head but IIII designation KM#108.

Now all I need is the somewhat rare Charles IIII to Ferdinand VII with Ferdinand VII designation minted in 1808-1810 in Guatemala KM#64. (Chile as well but is very pricey from there) And the Lima Peru "Imaginary Bust" Ferdinand VII KM#106.1 & 106.2 and I will have all the regular issue bust 8 reales. I could get some of the provisional Ferdinand VII military bust versions but I don't consider those a normal issue, just a royalist issue.

Anyway:

8 reale King Carolus IV (Charles IV) with King Charles III head. This type was minted 1789 and 1790 only. KM#107

26.84g a little small at 38mm but minted in Mexico City (Mo) Mexico, most from there are 38mm and not 39mm and are much more round.

Assayer F.M.

x3wwa1.jpg

s10ttx.jpg