Vfox

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

Got some stuff from Bill a little bit ago, and I've been super lazy updating this and my omnicoin lol. I got a 1910 & 1911 lincolns, and the 1&5 cent canadian animal coins but too lazy to scan lol.

2s9t285.jpg

2s1acxs.jpg

450pag3.jpg

44a2xyb.jpg

2h8a16g.jpg

4gg5a1c.jpg

• 2 months later...

I've added some new things to my omnicoin, and I got lots of things but never really had time to put any of it up. Here are a few highlights though.

53othg9.jpg

4v3qstz.jpg

4vi2hzq.jpg

4tav9s5.jpg

5zei81i.jpg

5z5wuar.jpg

63wuix2.jpg

5z2pc2q.jpg

6h3u39f.jpg

4yjbx95.jpg

4z06h5e.jpg

5xqltev.jpg

This ones a counterfiet, all three I own have a distinctive die crack in the sun, under the horse. These are very muddy looking fakes, but still neat to have.

4tut2xk.jpg

54djziq.jpg

And now for stuff I've been doing in school.

I've always been saying I've wanted to make my own coins, well now I have. And quite a few. In my ceramics class I made 1,150 single sided press molds in the style of the Thaler above from 1780(or whenever it was made, since it's a bullion coin now). And last year I made a set of dies and started stamping coins in copper, silver, brass, and 3 in gold for my metals class, to honor my hometown of Adamsville. I made just under 80 metals ones, and 20 have been sold to various people, the rest I still own.

Anyway, some pics:

67hydza.jpg

66wt5dl.jpg

Some that have been glazed: I placed 500 glazed ones all over my campus, the rest are going to be glazed and messed with over the summer.

5xoky14.jpg

And my metal coins, all hand stamped, all hand made in a 17th century Spanish/English style:

6bwrlma.jpg

6f832pu.jpg

54iksow.jpg

4md3s0n.jpg

New reverse pattern for 2007:

4t8qws9.jpg

Triple struck to be goofy. :ninja:

6fos02b.jpg

Vfox what can I say those are great :ninja: the triple struck one makes my eyes go funny LOL & I like the cheques mainly for the designes on them or are they called cachets ;)

;)

Very cool! The metal coins, are they hammer struck? If so, how many blows? I've only seen modern ones in silver, but I imagine harder metals like copper or brass might be a challenge. How do you make the planchets? I've seen some that are cut our of a band of metal which were thin, like some of yours appear to be. Very cool stuff!

Very cool! The metal coins, are they hammer struck? If so, how many blows? I've only seen modern ones in silver, but I imagine harder metals like copper or brass might be a challenge. How do you make the planchets? I've seen some that are cut our of a band of metal which were thin, like some of yours appear to be. Very cool stuff!

These are not hammer struck, they are actually roll pressed. It's a similar method to how the Spanish pillar 8 reales were made. As for the planchets, a heavy duty sheet metal slicer, and 12-18 gauge metals. I normally use 14-16 for them, but I've used lots of scraps to make some, so they are really thin, some almost 22 gauge. The silver ones are actually struck over Engelhard rounds that were rolled smooth. The edges are either clipped, or clipped and hammered to give them a more traditional look. As for copper and brass being harder than silver? When it's annealed you can bend 16-18 gauge copper and brass in your hand like it's a hunk of thick wax. 14 Gauge and below you may need to use 2 hands lol. If you think I'm kidding, take an old english penny and get it red hot, quench it in water, and have at it. :ninja:

I've had a lot of fun using these dies to make these coins, they are distorted, and nearly twice as big as what I started with because of the pressure, but still usable. I am trying to use them until they break, and make some with the broken dies just for kicks. ;)

And I got some new additions today!

4km4rcy.jpg

628rl8z.jpg

This ones two heads of 18th century (late 1760's-1780's ish) soldered together. I don't know why they used two different heads....or why they did it in the first place.

4tjhyk7.jpg

526ihdi.jpg

6bxyvj6.jpg

4ku076h.jpg

And I finally got a REAL 1910 Mexican peso, and for a great price, plus, check out that color!

54eeuzp.jpg

54cdtz9.jpg

A nice Xf-Au 8 reale.

63igk1e.jpg

67rwqqv.jpg

A little 5 centavo.

6cg04jn.jpg

4lgpx1x.jpg

A small German Hamburg 1 dreiling.

674vwjb.jpg

4q5mov6.jpg

And some provisional Mexican currency.

54nsbqh.jpg

Thats a great looking Peso (1910) that you got there & same goes for the Provisional Gov notes, I have seen Provisional Gov stamps before but not the notes so many thanks for that ;)

:ninja:

That 1910 peso is simply superb!!! I am extremely jealous!

You would be even moreso if you knew what I paid. :ninja:

Got a few more today. Some of the coppers where from the $0.25 bin, love cheap colonials. :ninja:

6bo41gz.jpg

6ba15ol.jpg

This one was a little more, lol.

6chahbp.jpg

67zn788.jpg

505wacy.jpg

52bkqxt.jpg

4xq5b2v.jpg

4tpkowk.jpg

67galqf.jpg

4uvludv.jpg

Got some German bonds and a nice broken banknote with a gutter fold error on the right. Cheap and great looking, I am really getting into broken banknotes. I have about 20 different ones, and never paid more than $30 for a single one. For currency from the 1850's how can you go wrong at those prices?!

Anyway:

66wflfd.jpg

5xolze1.jpg

525849e.jpg

5066bya.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I picked this stuff up off ebay recently, I got this $5 note at a rediculously low price, put it this way, it was cheaper than a fill up at the pump.

68k7o28.jpg

6gjvzh3.jpg

And my first 2 and 4 cap and ray reales from Mexico. Now all I need is a 1 reale, and a half reale, and I'll be set because I already have a few quartillas, well....I guess I do need a copper octavo too though.

549dieo.jpg

4kjzne1.jpg

6gtzv3p.jpg

6f97qrd.jpg

Another cheap colonial, not the $0.25 bin this time, but pretty cheap regardless.

4ldkhht.jpg

628wsgk.jpg

And finally, I had a customer come into work and sell me this. It's funny, I had no clue what it was worth, and just told them the rough silver value, well I ended up buying it for a dollar over silver. I think I may have paid a little high, but that's okay, it's the first one I've ever owned.

62isrnm.jpg

6ch6g6h.jpg

I also picked up some old newspapers at fairgrounds yardsale. The guy said he literally had a large room full of 300 year old - current newspapers. He wouldn't give me a name though because he was selling them for someone else and didn't want him bothered. Which is a bummer because I wanted some of the ones from the 1600's. Oh well, I got these anyway.

First one is 1810

4mcct28.jpg

520wz1v.jpg

5zda8ad.jpg

689ha8p.jpg

4vrkcd0.jpg

63rbdqr.jpg