Vfox

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got myself a key date mercury......paid $12 for this one LOL! And a bunch of great notes including my first N African $1 note.

2le1353.jpg

49ivv2t.jpg

2j5gv2s.jpg

2n82d04.jpg

47d1x8p.jpg

3z7r2o5.jpg

Nice one Vfox. If you noticed Vfox, the so called 10,000 rubles aren't really rubles but instead called "billets" or a ridicious name like "tokens". There was a time when the Soviet Union broke up and the rubles were very unstable, forcing people to buy either US dollars which is pretty much illegal but it happened or a scammer, (can't remember his name) just advertised that his "stocks" are worth a lot. Obviously people bought his story, bought plenty of his paper money and tada. It crashed one day.

Nice one Vfox. If you noticed Vfox, the so called 10,000 rubles aren't really rubles but instead called "billets" or a ridicious name like "tokens". There was a time when the Soviet Union broke up and the rubles were very unstable, forcing people to buy either US dollars which is pretty much illegal but it happened or a scammer, (can't remember his name) just advertised that his "stocks" are worth a lot. Obviously people bought his story, bought plenty of his paper money and tada. It crashed one day.

Yeah, I was told something like that about them, although I didn't know any history on them, so thank you for that bit of info! I was surprised at how many people actually purchased those stocks, and how the people who issued them basically sent the companies into HUGE debt before running with the money. I guess like any good pyramid scheme, you gatta have something people want.

Great Unc 1895 Red Indian just walked into (and promptly out of) my coin dealers shop today. I'll get some better pics later, my camera died lol.

34hdk4n.jpg

4dqarv8.jpg

Some better shots of the indian head cent, and a off-center 1795 large cent I just got, an interesting silver bullion engelhard set, 1/10. 1/4. 1/2, and 1 ounce rounds, a Colorado state quarter from change with a nice rim cud, and finally a 1927-S quarter I found in change, but for some reason never looked it up....and now I know it's one of the key dates!!!

43q0w0x.jpg

42mm29t.jpg

2r3ux42.jpg

3y3n5tg.jpg

3y5chtk.jpg

42k5hf8.jpg

2co050m.jpg

479f6vm.jpg

WOW to all of those!

1) The indian head is gorgeous

2) I wish I could hold that '95 in my hand

3) I never find anything interesting in change : (

4) See no. 3

WOW to all of those!

1) The indian head is gorgeous

2) I wish I could hold that '95 in my hand

3) I never find anything interesting in change : (

4) See no. 3

Thanks muchly!

Actually I got all of those pretty cheap (especially the two I found at work lol). I only paid $30 for the indian head, which there is one on eBay for around $80 now in Red 64+ (which I feel this coin is), which will most likely hit around 100 by the time the auctions over.

Obviously $0.25 cent for a key date standing liberty is just rediculous lol, and same for a nice cud error like that state quarter. Cool thing about the 25-S is that it is a strike-through. The pillars of freedom (or whatever they are called) show onto the reverse at the tops of the eagles wings!

As for the 1795, I paid $56 for it, which is actually more than I should have, but I really wanted a off center large cent, and I figured, "eh, why not". Ones in that condition can normally be had for less than $50, sometimes in the $30 range if you're lucky.

This is by far the best large note I've ever owned! I couldn't pass it up for the price, it's a great crisp, never folded au/unc. The corners are not super crisp, but heck, for what I paid I could care less. 1899 Black eagle.

WARNING||LARGE PHOTOS||

4c7umip.jpg

2wcpv5s.jpg

My one dollar bill collection! I just got most of these out of an old timers collection, some (35 star note and later) found in change. But anyway, I'm going to finish up a 1900's currency $1 collection. All I need is the national currency 1918, and a 1928 red seal small size. (At least I think that's the only ones I'm missing from 1900 on.)

2utjhjl.jpg

29wpt3r.jpg

3y6bpj4.jpg

30rvbqt.jpg

Thanks guys, I'm really happy with the Hawaii note, has a rather low serial number. It's the first one I've ever owned.....come to think of it....other than the black eagle, and 35 silver certificate to current, I never owned any of the others! The 1880 is a hard to get note, at least at a reasonable price, this one obviously has seen better days, but oddly the paper is crisp, just brown and kinda brittle, hence the tape. Must have been store in an envelope or something.

Well the black eagle is an FR. 228, which I think it pretty common but still an interesting signature combination. The 1880 Legal Tender is an FR. 30, also a pretty common one but any note that old is just plain cool! The 1917 is an FR. 36 and the 1923 is an FR. 40. The 1923 silver cert is an FR. 237, a very common signature combo. All told, an awesome set of $1 notes!

Well the black eagle is an FR. 228, which I think it pretty common but still an interesting signature combination. The 1880 Legal Tender is an FR. 30, also a pretty common one but any note that old is just plain cool! The 1917 is an FR. 36 and the 1923 is an FR. 40. The 1923 silver cert is an FR. 237, a very common signature combo. All told, an awesome set of $1 notes!

To be honest I know NOTHING about notes other than dates/value. Signatures are beyond me, besides a barr note lol, and the FR (im not sure what that is lol) I'm a bit lost.

Thanks for the info though Jeff, you seem to know your stuff on those! :ninja:

• 3 weeks later...
To be honest I know NOTHING about notes other than dates/value. Signatures are beyond me, besides a barr note lol, and the FR (im not sure what that is lol) I'm a bit lost.

Thanks for the info though Jeff, you seem to know your stuff on those! :ninja:

Thanks for the kind words. The Fr. # is the Friedberg number, from the Friedbergs' book on currency. Every US note has one, and it's an easy way to identify the notes and whether it might be a rare variety. Signature combinations are less important on modern notes, since all the same series have the same signature combinations (i.e. all series 2003 $1 FRNs have Marin and Snow, etc.). On earlier issues, the signatures could change even though the series remained the same, such as the series 1899 $1 silver cert, which were actually issued into the teens I believe. Coin World's Paper Money Values has a neat resource for getting Friedberg numbers here: Coin World's Paper Money Values. This will not help much with the rarity of the notes, so for that I generally look at the PMG population reports or the Heritage auction archives. Hope this helps!