CoinPeople.com

Vfox's Vfinds

Vfox

For your last cash coin, look in Krause, 1800s Japan. Blank and Wave reverses are usually Japanese. (though can be from Annam / Vietnam or be pre-Qing Chinese)

Very nice 1/2c btw!

Thanks Ccg, I stopped in at Borders the other day (I don't own a normal Krause, just Spain and colonies one) and looked for the wave pattern. It does appear to be Korean, but I am not 100% sure. In any case it is only worth about a dollar or less, but it's still neat to me. :ninja: Which 1/2c btw? ;)

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I got another one today!

This is a one year type (1790) transitional half-reale of King Charles IIII with King Charles III bust. KM#71.

11.5mm, 1.6g, Mo Mexico City mint Mexico, Assayer F.M.

nn8v2d.jpg

2v1ow1l.jpg

Thanks Ccg, I stopped in at Borders the other day (I don't own a normal Krause, just Spain and colonies one) and looked for the wave pattern. It does appear to be Korean, but I am not 100% sure. In any case it is only worth about a dollar or less, but it's still neat to me. :ninja: Which 1/2c btw? ;)

The 1828 1/2c. I'm quite partial to high grade holed or slightly damaged pieces - nice to look at and fits the budget! Not to mention there's usually a story to tell.

The cash coin is listed in the '95 edition as C4.2, ND (1769-1860) Japan 4 mon. .30 VG, .50 F, 1 VF, 3 EF

Japanese cash coins are considerably less common than Chinese coins. Annamese (Vietnamese) are a bit scarcer, while Korean ones are rarely seen (though there are many that catalogue at $2 or less)

The 1828 1/2c. I'm quite partial to high grade holed or slightly damaged pieces - nice to look at and fits the budget! Not to mention there's usually a story to tell.

The cash coin is listed in the '95 edition as C4.2, ND (1769-1860) Japan 4 mon. .30 VG, .50 F, 1 VF, 3 EF

Japanese cash coins are considerably less common than Chinese coins. Annamese (Vietnamese) are a bit scarcer, while Korean ones are rarely seen (though there are many that catalogue at $2 or less)

Thanks for correcting me on that Ccg and for looking it up! I am also partial to half cents in similar shape to that one with a slight "problem". I paid around $35 or so for it, which was about $100 cheaper than the ones in worse shape without the small dig. I was happy to pay that for it, lol.

He's not the only one to have one of those 'fake Krause' catalogues. Mine must be similar and it's called "World Coins" - produced by Krause but just to make a few more dollars I presume...

Basically they are making money on it, but for someone like me who would rather spend $70 on a coin and not a price guide about coins I went for the $30 alternative that is within my collecting field. I am glad they made that book for right now, but I know eventually I will be forced to buy all 3 1600-current Krause guides.

Another update today, last one for a while though. Anyway I got shafted on ebay (see my coin forum crud rant for that) but I did get a good coin as well. Granted this thing is worn pretty hard it was very cheap for the type.

1790 4 reale Charles IV designation with bust of Charles III

12.77g (13.5400 is normal but this coin is worn hard and thin planchet near Carolus)

PTS mintmark Potosi Bolivia, Assayer P.R.

4 reales are always the hardest to find, much harder than the 8 reale for any type.

25yx44o.jpg

n65qaw.jpg

Okay so it's only been 4 days since my last update...this only took two days to hit my doorstep, lots faster than I expected!

Anyway...this is quite a screwball in the 8 reale series. It is the "Lima bust" version in the series and is basically a made up image of King Ferdinand VII the engravers made while waiting for the dies to arrive from Spain...Madrid I think...not sure about that though.

Here is what I have been told and read....if any of this is wrong please correct me, I really want to know as much truth about these coins as possible and the internet is flooded with falsehoods about them.

This was minted in Lima Peru in 1810 and is the second of the type deemed the "Lima bust" which started being minted after King Charles IV's death in 1808. This (1810) was the second year of King Ferdinand VII's rule and obverse dies with his visage had not yet arrived in Lima. Instead of using a posthumus design with King Charles IV's visage, such as was being done in Columbia and Guatemala, the head engraver made a obverse die of what he thought the king looked like. Obviously the description was a bit off compared to what the later dies that arrived in Lima looked like.

This type is rather hard to find in nice shape, this one is around a F-Vf but my grading is a bit sloppy with these because of strike issues.

Anyway:

8 reale, King Ferdinand VII "Lima" bust

ME mintmark, minted in Lima Peru under Spain, Assayer J.P.

26.50g 39mm

w02dtk.jpg

dm4d8j.jpg

Great coin! The design looks so primitive compared to contemporary designs but even earlier coins look modern. Know what I mean?? Thats what is fascinating about coins!

Great coin! The design looks so primitive compared to contemporary designs but even earlier coins look modern. Know what I mean?? Thats what is fascinating about coins!

Although I think King Ferdinand VII looks like a goon on this coin I do like the style it was done in. You can tell this was a stylized portrait made by someone without a clear picture of what they were going to create. I wonder if any sketches exist from the master engraver? The interesting part about it is that this is the second incarnation of this type of bust, the previous KM# 106.1 (mine is 106.2) was in a very similar style. The fact that the engraver redesigned the dies is interesting and I wonder what his influence was to do so.

If you compare Portugal's coinage from this same time period, or even Spain's mainland coinage to the colonial issues you can see a huge difference in quality control. This coin was even struck from a somewhat rusty die because there are areas that are raised off the coin that mimic rust spots I've seen on others. These are not to be confused with casting bumps like a counterfeit though, they have a different look to them. You also have to think about the tools at Spain's disposal in the colonies and who was actually in power during this time period. King Ferdinand VII had to relinquish power to Joseph Bonaparte (Napoleons brother)in 1808 just months after he started his reign, until 1813 when the Bonaparte's were ousted from power. So most of the colonies were a bit lower on the kings priorities and certainly only the colonies (which some didn't even know or care that Ferdinand VII wasn't upon the throne...pshh loyalists!) continued to mint 8 reales with King Ferdinand VII's image. The odd part is that Joseph actually revalued the 8 reale coin as 20 reales, (inflation much?) I am not certain of the reason behind it, maybe something to do with the way France's money was divided up.

The coin I have above is a bit different than most of the ones of this type I've seen. If you look at the front of the head there is a small sprig of hair that protrudes outward. This hair style existed on 106.1 but normally not on 106.2 and I have to imagine that the die engraver messed up and carved in an extra bit of hair similar to the first issue style. I am curious because it is not a die crack and certainly is on the die, it's an interesting die marker and I think I may see if I can track down images of others struck from this same obverse. I always liked a good detective story...lol.

Okay, I'm rambling a bit much....shh..quiet fox.

• 6 months later...

I haven't gotten much of anything in a long time. A wedding in July and school have torn my funds right out from under me. It's okay though, the coins will still be there when I get money again, haha...I hope.

I did get something today, regardless of my lack of cash. I got a roll of the District of Columbia quarters with Duke Ellington squattin at the piano. I must say, I hate this design. Seriously, this "fine art" committee has absolutely no aesthetic taste. Horrid. On that note, I will be keeping one of these stupid things for my album and the rest are going return-to-sender via the grocery store and vending machines.

I hope to have something worthwhile to update soon, cya!

A wedding!

Hah, yes. My fiancée Nicole and I will be getting hitched on 7/11...you know, like the mini-mart. :ninja:

We've been together for over 4 years and finally chose to take the leap. ;)

• 1 month later...

Wow, I actually got something for once!

First off is a nice low unc r/b 1907 Indian head cent.

121d8ia.jpg

16mjqt.jpg

Second is an Au or borderline unc 1859 Indian head cent. The reverse has metal that was pulled over the rim during minting and the left side of the wreath is weakly struck. Otherwise this is a really nice coin.

2hxndj6.jpg

bipauf.jpg

Great pics and even better coins! You and Tom postd some lovely IHC's lately. Now I kinda want to get an orange UNC of my own!

The good part about the red or red/brown Indian heads from the late 1800's early 1900's is that most can be had in unc for less than $40, some much less. A high end unc might break the wallet a bit however, hehe. :ninja:

Wow, I actually got something for once!

First off is a nice low unc r/b 1907 Indian head cent.

121d8ia.jpg

16mjqt.jpg

:ninja:

I don't collect American coins but this is a stunner!

The good part about the red or red/brown Indian heads from the late 1800's early 1900's is that most can be had in unc for less than $40, some much less. A high end unc might break the wallet a bit however, hehe. :ninja:

For serious? Jeez, I need to get a job and start collecting more!

• 1 year later...
I have an 1800 coin of this type in near perfect shape. I have had it for about 50 years as a gift from my uncle.

15floa0.jpg

10rmtdg.jpg

I agree with Ccg, the coin would be in decent shape but is riddled with small scratches. I would grade it around Vf-Xf otherwise but it is certainly damaged. I have had several in similar condition and never paid over $45 for them. Funny enough a dollar coin from the US in the same condition would likely bring over $1000.

It's a great coin. Looks like is was cleaned a bit. But between 1800 and now there were lots of potential pitfalls for that little guy including a massive melt by the US Mint. The low pricing, IMHO, is a combination of rather large supply vs. small collector interest.

It's a great coin. Looks like is was cleaned a bit. But between 1800 and now there were lots of potential pitfalls for that little guy including a massive melt by the US Mint. The low pricing, IMHO, is a combination of rather large supply vs. small collector interest.

I'm not sure I would put small collector interest as a factor in its low value Art. The main thing certainly, as you stated, is the overabundant supply of these coins that are still extant in the world. I however think most collectors would be interested in owning a large silver coin of such age at the right price. Every collector I personally know owns at least one 8 reale, every coin shop I frequent cannot keep them in stock, and they are very often sold online with fervor through Heritage and the like.

I personally love Spanish coinage from the mid 1400's to the early 1900's; it's been an area of interest to me for quite a few years.

Here is another coin I have as a gift from my father.

It's a small gold coin dated 1856.

It is actually in excellent shape but does not look quite as in good shape due to "zooming" on my scanner.

Any ideas on the pricing on this one?

It says California Gold 1/4 on the reverse.

I am presuming that means 1/4 dollar?

b3snxe.jpg

35c23v6.jpg

Here is another coin I have as a gift from my father.

It's a small gold coin dated 1856.

It is actually in excellent shape but does not look quite as in good shape due to "zooming" on my scanner.

Any ideas on the pricing on this one?

It says California Gold 1/4 on the reverse.

I am presuming that means 1/4 dollar?

b3snxe.jpg

35c23v6.jpg

It means 1/4 of a dollar, or...a quarter...either way you look at it. Unfortunately many of these so called gold fractional coins are really tokens made as souvenirs to tourists and made of brass which may or may not be gold plated. I have about two dozen of them, they are cheap...almost face value...if it had a true face value considering it is a token. If it does happen to be a true gold coin then I suggest getting it authenticated by a TPG such as ANACS or PCGS...the real ones do have some decent value.