Vfox's Vfinds

Vfox

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Funny thing about newspapers up to the time of the civil war is that they will last a long time, they were printed on rag paper with a lot of cotton in it. Immediately prior to civil war wood pulp based newsprint took over, because it was a lot cheaper to manufacture. And the paper itself is much more fragile. At one time I myself collected newspapers occasionally, the earliest I have is one from 1743, but my favourite is one from Philadelphia printed in 1791 that recounts the flight of the French royals from Paris.

I hope you have a small gas tank from the looks of that FRN! Nice reales, I have a 2-reales but it is not the cap and rays design, but the piller design dated 1776, not bad for a dollar, but that was a long time ago!

I paid $11 and some odd change :ninja:

And the 2 and 4 reale, I also only paid $11 for the pair. A few months ago I also picked up 2 half reales, one was the pillar type, and the other was the (I forget his name) guys head. The pillar type was holed, but I still got it because it was only $3 for each.

On occasion I do get some good deals, off ebay or from dealers, it kinda all depends how patient I am.

$11 is definitely a good price for that note!

Only is all my large sized notes could be purchased for 2-3 times face, in that condition, lol. :ninja:

• 4 weeks later...

Got few new things today, some currency as well, but I'll have to image that later.

First off:

I think this is a half penny, not really sure, never owned one of this type before.

4xolwg2.jpg

4mte15e.jpg

A brilliant Unc 1 Kreuzer, it may be brown, but it still shimmers bright!

4p97xv7.jpg

4zvidyb.jpg

A pretty nice 1860 large penny, best one I've owned so far.

4y4u9hh.jpg

6cor42t.jpg

And finally another Funf mark, 1914.

61mwth5.jpg

4t6wyux.jpg

Nice pieces, the British coin from 1724 the denomination depends on the size, but I think it looks more farthingish in my opin. These coins were struck, but they appear to have been cast, they are referred to as "dump" farthings because of the small thick size of the coin.

nice :ninja: im just starting into english pennies an ur 1860 large penny is really awesome ;) i'm tryin to get 1 penny from each king/queen so far i got Elizabeth, George VI, George V ;) (only 3 x< hard to find some in gr8 condition x<) the George VI 1 has a slight toning ;). anyway again nice find ;)

dude i would only say a few words x< UR THE KING OF FINDING COIN'S AT BARGIN PRICES XD

Haha, well, I do get lucky sometimes, I do my best to give more than a dealer would if I buy from an individual, but from ebay, I am a low-balling king, lol.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a few hundred world notes over the last month. All crisp uncs, all great notes, brilliant colors and just awesome! Also some pics of the couple polymer notes I have aquired.

6fenb03.jpg

6c5zdlc.jpg

6h3fw9k.jpg

5ywl4i9.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I got some stuff today, I'll post pics tonight. :ninja:

*EDIT*

Ok here is what I got recently.

First is Marvins half of a trade I did with him:

A nice 2007 Euro set

6ewmixe.jpg

And also a gift from him, a set of 5 pfennig's from German 1915-1922! Very cool!

4kdzfo8.jpg

Next up is a version of a German coin I've wanted for a long time. I paid a Vf pricetag for this, and the pic online looked like a Vf-Xf, when I got it though, it was a great Unc, a little toning aside a great gem.

5zbc5za.jpg

6freaub.jpg

Next is a Canadian bank token:

4vezwhx.jpg

6697zih.jpg

Next is a pair of 2003A $1 FRN's with a matching repeater and radar serial number.

67x704l.jpg

Finally keeping in line with all the colonial junkers I've been buying lately, a George II half penny, and a rather nice George III half penny.

5y9zui1.jpg

4xl40a9.jpg

6gy8p45.jpg

6fjblue.jpg

And finally a few coins my dad gave me which he found in a creek bank by an old burned out covered bridge in the Maryland area. He was digging for Native American artifacts when he came across these three, oddly enough he didn't find anything else. Not like he needs more arrow heads, lol, he has so many I'm surprised his house didn't start to sink into the ground, haha. I guess that's what happens when you are a novice archeologist for 40 years, lol.

First was a farthing, I think it's a 1821:

6ajjh3q.jpg

67hzvr5.jpg

Next was a George III half penny from 1773:

4y0qzy1.jpg

4q6vq15.jpg

And finally a 1723 "dump" half penny:

4qyff2c.jpg

6bo3jgp.jpg

Nice pick ups vfox.

Hate to be the berear of bad news, but the George III halfpenny is a counterfeit. Probably a contemporary counterfeit. These are often refered to as evasion pieces coin. Still interesting in its own right though.

Nice pick ups vfox.

Hate to be the berear of bad news, but the George III halfpenny is a counterfeit. Probably a contemporary counterfeit. These are often refered to as evasion pieces coin. Still interesting in its own right though.

Ya think so? It's 6.99g, so it's a little heavier than the two Machin Mills I have, both at 4.5-5g, but a little lighter than most other half pennies in the 7.5-8.5g range....so I don't know really. I don't think it's a new fake though, I've had plenty of those, and this doesn't look a thing like them. Do you have any other information on these kind of things Hussulo? I didn't pay much for it, and I honestly like owning old counterfiets, so if it is, no prob, at least I know for sure then. :ninja:

With these, the counterfeits are more interesting than the real coins. We all know who made the real ones, but not the counterfeits and they might have even been made in N. America.

I did a little research on what Hussulo said, and that matches with what I figured it is, if it wasn't a real half penny. Which is cool because the real ones are, well, somewhat boring, so I completely agree with Scottishmoney on this. The fakes, either made here or in England are some of the more interesting coins in the colonial era, mainly because most people just accepted them without even caring. It wasn't until the 1780's when a huge flood of these came to America that people really started to take a second look. The Machin Mills varieties are interesting because they were 100% made in the US, but I can't seem to find good information to check if this one is one. The only reason I don't consider two of mine English counterfeits that I mentioned earlier is because of the weight, date, and lack of detail both have. This one on the otherhand is probably an English counterfeit if it isn't real, because it is only .5g-1g under-weight, while the other two I mentioned are 3g-3.5g under-weight.