Vfox's Vfinds

Vfox

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Little birdie whispered in my ear that Vfox will be finding something new in his mailbox soon. :ninja:

Does Banivechi happen to be that little birdie? ;) Or would that little birdie be you? ;)

I got a couple proof sets, and a nice 59 proof quarter, although after I took these shots I noticed a little spottiness on the obv. :ninja: I also got a very nice gift in the mail from Dave! ;)

4mkmt5u.jpg

6ft40ee.jpg

6g9h9af.jpg

65z0ygn.jpg

535ihau.jpg

4kmg286.jpg

• 1 month later...

I got a handful of new coins today in exchange for selling off a friends collection for him. He even GAVE me the 1983 doubled die reverse, which blew me away because I've always wanted one, but never wanted to spend the money on it! So I guess for doing it for him, he gave me all kinds of awesome coins! Woot!

Anyway I am hoping Jeff can help me out here, I have two 1834 bust halves, both have experimental edges (a small half inch or so of reeding followed by a single star) and both dates appear to be slightly different. I couldn't figure out what's what, so hopefully someone *cough*Jeff*cough* can help me out.

I also got a flowing hair large cent, but I can't tell if it's a 1794 or 1795, either way I like it. :ninja:

525vh3p.jpg

5y2balc.jpg

4ouaxoo.jpg

4zc46x1.jpg

5zedhfk.jpg

4u1lh7q.jpg

And finally the crown of my lincoln collection.

66e4jyh.jpg

Wow. You've either got some fantastic luck, or the right contacts. Sometimes, there isn't much of a difference between the two. :ninja: A fantastic collection no doubt. And now I understand why Scottishmoney is so fascinated with women on banknotes. Those Banc Eireannais are lovely! Foreign things are always so much more interesting than our own currency, simply because we see and use it everyday. The older American coins and notes in this thread are beautiful as well, but when I find them they're usually well outside my price range.

I've enjoyed browsing this thread immensely. Thank you so much for sharing. ;)

I'm glad you enjoyed checking out some of my stuff ElleKitty, and don't think you can't get stuff like this cheap. I've had many great deals in the past 5 years or so on some really hard to find notes and coins, and it's all because I've been patient and searched the web basically everyday for new listings on here, on eBay, and Heritage. Be patient and those great old things will find themselves with you as some point. :ninja:

Be patient and those great old things will find themselves with you as some point. ;)

:ninja: Thank you for those words of wisdom, sensei.

Love the lincoln. I personally would rank that as the number 2 double die onthe top lincoln DD list. (Yes, I know the '72 and others are more drastic and famous but this is the king of the DDRs!)

Also love the other cent. i'd say 1794. Is there enough detail to ID the coin as a Sheldon variety and figure it out that way?

vfox,

I won't be able to do an attrubution on the halves until the weekend, but I will see if I can do a little research on the experimental edge tonight. I thought they were mainly used in 1830-32, but I could be mistaken. In any case, we'll know more on the varieties this weekend (I like the look of the first on better). A photo of the edge might help too.

Thanks Jeff, if anyone would know on here, I knew it would either be you or bustchaser (who I haven't seen for a bit). The first half is dark, but still has lustre hiding in the devices, it's a nice coin. I'll get an edge photo up tonight hopefully.

As for the large cent, I can't really tell offhand what the date is, and it's scratched a bit around liberties head. I'll try and get some better photos tonight. And I love the 83 DDR, it's one of those coins I've wanted for a really long time. Now I just need to buy the G-4ish 1914-D he has and I'll only need 3 more coins! :ninja: (09-S, 09-Svdb, and 31-S) ;)

Oh, one more thing is a book of 1938-1964 Jefferson nickels WITH PROOFS I have to figure a price on, all coins are great uncs, so I am afraid of how much it's worth, lol. But I will hopefully be able to get that as well, which will finally give me a reason to get a dansco, lol.

I'll only need 3 more coins! ;) (09-S, 09-Svdb, and 31-S) ;)

Oh, one more thing is a book of 1938-1964 Jefferson nickels WITH PROOFS I have to figure a price on, all coins are great uncs, so I am afraid of how much it's worth, lol. But I will hopefully be able to get that as well, which will finally give me a reason to get a dansco, lol.

1) You have a '22 No D?? :ninja:

2) I don't understand, you're considering starting a Jefferson set? or you have one?

Haha, well I don't consider the 22 no D a normal issued coin, but an error. So no, I don't, lol.

I have a full set of Jeffies without the proofs, but not all are brilliant uncs like these, so this is a major upgrade.

I did look, and there is no mention in the Overton book about the experimental edge being used in 1834 (though Kneass did redo the obverse master hub creating a lot of fun varieties that year). The only mention was that they were used in 1830 and 1831 and could have the lines either vertical or leaning left or right. This weekend I will try to do a full attribution on the coins and see where that gets us.

Ok, both appear to be large date-large letters, the first one appears to be an O-102 (R.1). The 3 in the date should be recut, but I can't tell from the photos. On the reverse there should be a center dot between crossbars 3 and 4. The second one appears to be an O-101 (R.1). Some of the numerals on the obverse may show signs of recutting. On the reverse, the stand of the 5 should be recut and the left base of E in America should be recut. Hope this helps!

For the most part I think you're right Jeff, there are a few spots I'm not sure about though. Mainly the dot in the cross bars, I assumed you meant in the shield, but neither coin has a dot as described. Also the E appears to be recut, but the entire letter, not just one side.

Basically the obverse of the first coin seems correct, but I'm unsure of the reverse.

The second coin seems about right, but the eagles head, appears recut, but could just be die shift. Also, the 5 appears to be not only recut, but backwards, checkout the top left side of it.

Here are some more photos, I hope they are of some use.

52m5b3t.jpg

4yj51km.jpg

5ytrwiq.jpg

4uk95k7.jpg

4uvr381.jpg

6bmuwc6.jpg

535cqrc.jpg

Those photos seem to match up to my expectations, as for the recutting, the letters were completely recut, but those areas mentioned are the main places to see it, so that doesn't bother me. As for the center dot, I think I can see it in your photo, it's in the upper shield, on the left side (remember a center dot is at the center of the coin, not the center of the shield). I am still befuddled on the experimental edge, I think I will ask on the NGC forums as there are more experts there.

I posted this with links to your photos on the NGC forums, and apparently in the Overton/Parsley book (later edition than I have) it does mention this edge on some 1834s. The other interesting thing is the apparent edge error in the photo, with OR over the HALF.

I posted this with links to your photos on the NGC forums, and apparently in the Overton/Parsley book (later edition than I have) it does mention this edge on some 1834s. The other interesting thing is the apparent edge error in the photo, with OR over the HALF.

Thanks for doing some research for me Jeff, it's appreciated. The funny part about the edgework is that they are both the same way, with the OR/ALF. I am curious if they used the same edge collar for all the experimental edges in 1834. In either case they are nice coins, I'll probably keep the nice one too, I wonder how rare the experimental edge on them is?

I don't think the edge is noted as rare for either the 1830, 1831 or 1834 and I doubt there has been much research done on them. I checked the NGC pops, and they don't even mention the edge on any of the years. The only date where it matters is the 1809, because there the edge is associated with specific die marriages, where on these later ones they are mixed among the die marriages for the year (here is the case in point, two die marriages, same edge). It may be the case that the same edge collar was used between 1830, 1831 and 1834 and that it had deteriorated to the point of OR/ALF like you see on yours. I am not sure though. PS- If you sell the other one, I'd be interested!

PS- If you sell the other one, I'd be interested!

Haha, you interested in a bust half!? Seriously though, if you want to pop me a PM we can work something out. If there is anything else a little more recent (barber on up) I have silver comin out my ears thanks to being the middle man in this collection, lol.

If there is anything else a little more recent (barber on up)

Ooh.. Barbers... I know that offer may not be extended to me, but PM sent anyway :ninja: