CoinPeople.com

Framed banknotes as home decor?

superbeast1098

No banknotes. I have some sets of coins in frames that I got many years ago. There are about 6 IHCs, some Liberty Nickels and some Buffalo nickels. Always wanted one of those silver sets with the silver certificate and such.

Right now, it is just small US notes won from my best friend and my older brother on sports bets. There's a frame for each, with dates, teams, and scores written next to each. It's mostly for gloating purposes, though.

Forgot... I do have a 10 euro note in under a picture from my trip to Europe...

Cool idea, though. I may have more now that you've got me thinking...

I have a set of 8 uncut US $1 notes that I purchased from the BEP that I have been wanting to frame for some time. The reason that I have yet to frame it is: I am trying to devise a workable and stylish way to frame and mount it such that both sides can be viewed.

Just be careful how you do it as there are laws about how to legally copy currency (and the Feds get REALLY peeved when you just start making color copies of notes willy nilly). The collage I did was with color images of large denomination notes from the BEP website which all stated "Copy" on them, which for my purposes didn't matter since I cut them all into small random peices and then glued them onto an 8.5x11 piece of card stock mounted between two pieces of glass. I think the eagle from the back of a series 1918 $1000 note is at the center of the collage. I got the images here: http://www.moneyfactory.gov/section.cfm/5/42

I have a poster from the Pt. Towndsand Wooden Boat Festival that I made a frame for. I embedded a Greek Drachma with a ship on it in each corner. Also have a few llama coins for my wife that I will frame someday.

There's a few notes I've always wanted to hang on my wall. Problem is, I couldn't decide which side I wanted to show off!

My grandpa has an uncut sheet of $2 bills, framed, hanging in his office. Been there for probably 10-15 years and hasn't faded.

Thats why I bought the clear frame that you see in the first post..... That way, I can turn it around and display the other side. One thing I do like about that frame is that the notes cling to it, and the stay in place, so I dont have to worry about gluing them.....

I have a set of 8 uncut US $1 notes that I purchased from the BEP that I have been wanting to frame for some time. The reason that I have yet to frame it is: I am trying to devise a workable and stylish way to frame and mount it such that both sides can be viewed.

Has anyone ever found something to resolve this? One day after I have my coins in order I will tackle this. I am thinking of some type of hinged frame that can be moved 90 degrees from the wall and then the content can be spun freely (360) within that frame.

This past Christmas, i framed up to twelve notes in each frame, for four different friends. They loved it! I didn't pay any particular attention to countries or denominations, but more on just making it colorful and interesting, and tried to include a note from each continent. They make great gifts, especially for someone with a home bar.

That would make it interesting to hang up in a small buisness.... lol..... Just like when people frame the first dollar they ever made, and hang it up near the cash registers, only do it with foreign currency.....

It would make for interesting conversations....

KFC :ninja:

That would make it interesting to hang up in a small buisness.... lol..... Just like when people frame the first dollar they ever made, and hang it up near the cash registers, only do it with foreign currency.....

It would make for interesting conversations....

They do make for interesting conversation! I have been to a few places that have them displayed in different manners. There's a burrito joint here that has Central American notes plastered onto their tables and we always comment on them whenever we're there. I was in Juneau, AK last summer and there was a tourist shop that had a lot of foreign notes from their customers. It was fun to compare them to what I had in my collection. My wife also informs me that there is a restaurant near her office that has a support beam with notes stuck all over it. I haven't been there, 'cuz they only serve girl food - :ninja: Beansprouts and mayonaise - - Gimme the burrito anytime!

I have been to many places where world notes are displayed. I think it is really neat. One place was such that patrons could tack up there own note on the wall.

Places with coins are a bit more rare, but one of my favorite pubs/restaurants in Tallinn has a nice display of coins. This is a huge barrel on end (about 4-5ft) that serves as a bar table. There are 4 of these in the bar.

Tallinn124.jpg

Does anyone have any of their banknotes in picture frames around the house as decoration?

At least someone other than me, that is.......... lol.....

KFC :ninja:

I had a 5 Ruble note framed and gave it away to a friend who is interested in Russian history on his birthday. He's learning Russian also, so I thought it went with all that.

I had a 5 Ruble note framed and gave it away to a friend who is interested in Russian history on his birthday.  He's learning Russian also, so I thought it went with all that.

Sounds like you are a good freind... :lol::ninja:

Archived