CoinPeople.com

Expanding the collection

syzygy

Krause says the population of the Isle of Man is about 68,000. Seems like they have made that many different coins in just the last few years. In otherwords, they are a bit on the commercial side in the coin minting area. Still, I have always wanted a cat coin and so there is room in my silver hunk collection for this one.

KM #234 .999 silver, 1 oz.

1988imcrown5vd.jpg

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My newest indulgence and identification project.  I am thinking maybe 1600's European? Any ideas? It's about 19mm and appears to be silver.

unknownv7ic.jpg

Byzantine. Spinks has a full catalogue. Sorry, but I sent it back to the library only last week, so I can't help further! :ninja:

Byzantine. Spinks has a full catalogue. Sorry, but I sent it back to the library only last week, so I can't help further! :ninja:

I am thinking that this is from Venice 1200-1400. Check out the similarities with the AR Grosso coins here -> link. I am on the lookout for a cataloge and any further info.

My newest indulgence and identification project.  I am thinking maybe 1600's European? Any ideas? It's about 19mm and appears to be silver.

unknownv7ic.jpg

Looks like it might be Serbian.

It is a "banner" type.

Legend looks like it reads "UROSIUS | REX | S STEFAN", which would be either King Stefan Uros I Nemanjic (1243-1276) or King Stefan Uros II Milutin (1282-1321). These were made to look similar to the issues of the Doges of Venice, as the Venetian coins were introduced to the region during the 4th crusades of the early 1200's. If you notice, most of the Venetian pieces have DUX (Duke), vertically between the figures on the obverse. Yours, as most Serbian pieces, has REX (King).

Looks like it might be Serbian. 

It is a "banner" type.

Legend looks like it reads "UROSIUS | REX | S STEFAN", which would be either King Stefan Uros I Nemanjic (1243-1276) or King Stefan Uros II Milutin (1282-1321).  These were made to look similar to the issues of the Doges of Venice, as the Venetian coins were introduced to the region during the 4th crusades of the early 1200's.  If you notice, most of the Venetian pieces have DUX (Duke), vertically between the figures on the obverse.  Yours, as most Serbian pieces, has REX (King).

Yes! I did notice the R instead of D (or what sometimes looked like a P) that I was seeing on all the Venetian pieces - thanx much for the info!

• 1 month later...

Awesome, I've got to make me a cup too. Did you use one of the online picture services?

Awesome, I've got to make me a cup too.  Did you use one of the online picture services?

I had it done at one of those mall kiosks - I just gave him a couple of .jpgs and it only took him about 20 min. Probably could have have saved a buck or two doing it elsewhere but I saw him this weekend and made a note to go check it out after work.

• 1 month later...