CoinPeople.com

Expanding the collection

syzygy

I have always wanted a coin from Carson City, but a lot of them have some pretty hefty price tags. Most often one grabs one of the seated dimes - they seem to be about the most reasonably priced CC coins. Well, I have been looking and I couldn't locate one that I wanted (believe it or not). Got these two instead.

I know this quarter one has seen a great deal of duty, but I think its charming. Amazingly, some letters in Liberty are still visible!

1876cc25qs0.jpg

This half has less wear but has taken a few shots.

1876cc50dg9.jpg

So now I have some CC coins.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All are handsome! I really appreciate how you can see the differences between an early die state (2005-s) and a late die state (1978-S) right next to each other.

All are handsome! I really appreciate how you can see the differences between an early die state (2005-s) and a late die state (1978-S) right next to each other.

You mean the shrunken head lincolns? I think of early and late die state as referring to coins struck with the same die early and late in that die's functional life. You are probably referring to the different designs the Lincoln dies have gone through - I think there have been several changes, but the most notable to me are the shrunken head (compare the 68 with the 05 - blech). Wonder what Abe would say :ninja:

1978sprfai2.jpg

2005sprffc1.jpg

You mean the shrunken head lincolns? I think of early and late die state as referring to coins struck with the same die early and late in that die's functional life. You are probably referring to the different designs the Lincoln dies have gone through - I think there have been several changes, but the most notable to me are the shrunken head (compare the 68 with the 05 - blech). Wonder what Abe would say :ninja:

Of course there are slight design modifications in the almost-30-year's date difference. And of course they aren't from the same dies. But, based on my experience, you can see that the 78 was minted later in the production than the 2005:

1) the sharpness of the mintmark in the 2005 vs the less-sharp 1978 mintmark.

2) the concavity of the field near the rims on the riverse on the 1978 vs the levelness of the field on the 2005

3) the same phenomenom i seen immediately below the steps on the 1978.

4) the design also seems much crisper on the 2005.

Now, i've seen in other threads on CP that field concavity near the rims is found on late-die-stage coins - that explains points 2) and 3).

In fact, Matt gives a nice explanation of that here.

Cool, eh?

Of course there are slight design modifications in the almost-30-year's date difference. And of course they aren't from the same dies. But, based on my experience, you can see that the 78 was minted later in the production than the 2005:

1) the sharpness of the mintmark in the 2005 vs the less-sharp 1978 mintmark.

2) the concavity of the field near the rims on the riverse on the 1978 vs the levelness of the field on the 2005

3) the same phenomenom i seen immediately below the steps on the 1978.

4) the design also seems much crisper on the 2005.

Now, i've seen in other threads on CP that field concavity near the rims is found on late-die-stage coins - that explains points 2) and 3).

In fact, Matt gives a nice explanation of that here.

Cool, eh?

Yes, that is interesting. I notice that CONECA has a new site called Variety Vista where it looks like they will be going into depth on illustrating die stages of various varieties - see here for an example.

Nice additions! At first I thought "wow! A 1922-D! How rare!" and then "A 1914-S! He's got two of the biggest rarities there!" Then I realized....

It was fun while it lasted.

• 4 weeks later...

Some more additions to the Lincoln Cent collection...all from the Baltimore show.

1911slj7.jpg

1924dgs0.jpg

Found 5 proofs that I needed, including these two.

1991saf2.jpg

1995syd1.jpg

As completion of this set grows closer, I am thinking about what to do with the last few holes. That is, the 22 no D and the S-VDB are going to be a real test of my collecting comfort levels. Moreover, I don't like the idea of the 22 no D even being one of the holes as it is variety of the 22-D as I understand! I don't like the idea of buying copies at all. I picked up a couple of blank planchets for $1 each and I think I will use those...at least for a while.

blanktk4.jpg

Re: the 1914D and 1922 no D

Hmm.. are there no examples of each <$500 in any grade? I can't remember the values off the top of my head. I'm seeing some nice ~$150 1914-Ds in G4 on Heritage. Kinda cool to settle for such a low grade.

1922 no D in G4 for ~$500.

Re: the 1914D and 1922 no D

Hmm.. are there no examples of each <$500 in any grade? I can't remember the values off the top of my head. I'm seeing some nice ~$150 1914-Ds in G4 on Heritage. Kinda cool to settle for such a low grade.

1922 no D in G4 for ~$500.

Here's what I have yet to get:

1909-S VDB

1914-D

1922 Plain

1931-S

1970-S small date

1974-D

2004-D

2007-D

Proofs

1994-S

1996-S

1997-S

1999-S

2007-S

This album has coins from my 'original' Lincoln collection from circulation when I was a kid (from 2 old blue Whitmans). So, I upgraded to an Intercept Shield album w/proofs and it's been a major focus this year.

The proofs and the second group are easy (don't ask me why I haven't found a 74-D in change yet, I will and the 07-D will show up as well).

Of the keys, I will eventually get the 31-S and 14-D - probably. The S-VDB is another story and, of course, every one wants one - regardless of grade - but it is not out of the question, just not in the stars for this year. I don't think I will ever get the 22 no D - it is incredibly over-priced as far as I am concerned and it shouldn't even have a hole in the album. Until we make our own albums though, we have to deal with what they give us :ninja:

• 3 weeks later...

I have taken the plunge and embarked on another new collecting area.....

peace1926avt9.jpg

I have always liked these and have been buying a few here and there for a while. I put a couple up on the grading challenge thread. Yesterday I bought a Dansco and a few more.

I even like them well circulated.

peace1923dyv8.jpg

This one (at a junk bin price) was too nasty and as much as I really don't think it's a good idea dipping circulated coins, I did dip this one. Some may say I ruined the coin, but I don't think so. Here's the before and afters...

peace1926sax0.jpg

peace1926sdippeddf9.jpg

...and one more circulated one...

peace1934nz5.jpg

I have taken the plunge and embarked on another new collecting area.....

I have always liked these and have been buying a few here and there for a while. I put a couple up on the grading challenge thread. Yesterday I bought a Dansco and a few more.

Welcome to one of my favorite series. Don't you dare beat me to a complete set! I've been patiently waiting for a gorgeous specimen of the key dates for years... and i've been waiting for the budget too.