Expanding the collection

syzygy

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just on impulse, I picked up a 64 mint set - quite reasonably priced. This one was in a Capital plastics case (P & D with the cardboard insert). The P set, pictured here, has some interesting toning. The D set was toned to a much lesser degree. Funny thing this tarnish :ninja: The Lincoln is, unfortunately, quite spotted. The Jefferson is not too great either. The others, particularly the Washington, look pretty nice, in my opinion.

1964kennedyci6.jpg

1964washingtonem5.jpg

1964rooseveltdw7.jpg

1964jeffersontm6.jpg

1964lincolnrh4.jpg

• 3 months later...

This one was really more of an impulse buy than anything else. Still I am enamored with the wartime silver nickels.

1944dad3.jpg

It has some toning/tarnish that does not do much for the eye appeal. But, it does have a pretty good strike with some very decent step definition for the year (I think).

44dstepssj7.jpg

Still, I am a bit surprised at the grade - but toning should not influence the grade - right? :ninja:

44dslabgu9.jpg

After watching the incredible Ken Burns documentary "The War", I have a renewed interest in putting together a US WWII type set. If you look through some price guides, one could assemble such a set in F-VF at a very reasonable price and an MS set would not be out of sight. Further, if you don't mind some holes, the set could go into unmarked Dansco pages and make a nice album. Well, it's just a thought at this point.

After watching the incredible Ken Burns documentary "The War", I have a renewed interest in putting together a US WWII type set.

I thought in the same vernacular after watching his breakout series "The Civil War" back in the early 1990's, I pondered of the acquisition of a nice contemporary to that time selection of choice coinage. I had merely accomplished the cupro-nickel cent, and the three cent piece in nickel from 1865, though yet I will endeavour to acquire the 2¢ coin and the 5¢ piece in nickel as per my desire. Only very recently I have I occasioned the "greenbacks" from that era, a neat little type set of $5, $10 and the $20 from 1862.

The interesting thing about the WWII series is knowing participants in that, unlike the abstract of the Civil War. I can ask of my own Grandmother her experiences of that time, the memory of the attack on Pearl Harbour, the rationing, the steel cents of 1943 etc. One of my neighbours was a military governor in Bavaria right after the war.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
the 28 that will definitely be the umm 'toughest' ;)

Hey man, don't belittle my favorite series! :ninja: This is the series that got me into collecting and I'm close to completing a respectable set on a college student budget. The 28 and 34S are the only two I'm missing (besides either a 34D or 35S... can't remember, but they're not tough)!!!

• 2 weeks later...