Expanding the collection

syzygy

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Missed these updates. You are right, the reverse on the Canadian halves is awesome. Have about 10 of them in my collection currently and always searching 50% off boxes for more.

The Thaler is lovely in many different ways. The reverse and toning really make the coin what it is.

Excellent purchases.

• 4 weeks later...

These three were all relatively inexpensive, "interesting coin" category buys.

Mexico

1796 one real, Carolus IIII

913758.jpg

My only coin from Cuba. Still haven't done much in the way of cataloging a 'country collection', but this one will be included there.

Cuba

1920, 5 centavos

KM #11.1

913756.jpg

An extremely well traveled half penney - Oh the hands this one has seen!

Great Britain

1730, Half Penney, George II

913757.jpg

Most of the coins I purchased at this last Baltimore show were those to work on filling my Jefferson and Lincoln sets. Both of my folders have S-proofs and I still have a long way to go - but I am making good progress. Here are a few examples...

913927.jpg

913926.jpg

913928.jpg

913929.jpg

Spain 1871 5 Pesetas

KM #666 .900 silver

Madrid (six-pointed star)

914446.jpg

If you are familiar with the Spanish coins of this era, you know that the date on some coins is nominal and the actual date is in the stars. That is, these 5 pesetas can be 1871 / 73/74/75. The second digit on the second star on this one, however, defies identification.

1871cusp5.jpg

I have looked at this with a glass at every angle and I cannot make out a second digit - it's like it was never there! This is surprising as they are incuse and there is not that much wear on the coin such that it would be completely obscured.

Luckily, Krause lists only a single SD-M (which is what this one is) and that is for 1871 - so this is, in fact, an 1871.

I keep plugging away at my Jefferson set and added a few this week, including these two. I hope to have the collection complete by year's end or sooner.

This 1938 is a golden-toned beauty.

jeff1938np7.jpg

As you might expect, I have been examining a lot of Jeffersons while working on this set. I am particularly noticing the advances in the die work and strike with the more recent issues. Look at the detail definition on this 2000-S proof - pretty impressive, in my opinion.

jeff2000sproofsmyw2.jpg

jeff2000scustepsld2.jpg