CoinPeople.com

What did you do in 2005

ovrundr

2005 was my first year collecting coins. So I guess starting with US coins was the best way to start, since I at least know what most of them look like. But I did branch out a bit.

So, My first year of coin collecting:

Complete set of US dollars from 1897-Present

Ikes, SBA and Sacagawea complete with proofs un-circulated

Morgan set short 10 coins; I’ll let you guess which ones.

Peace set needs a couple upgrades but it’s complete

SAE complete but only a couple of proofs

Lincoln set missing 14 wheats - circulated

Complete set of Jeffersons - circulated

Complete set of state quarters including proofs

50% complete Canadian dollar set including Commemoratives

Australian Lunar Silver dollar set 99-06

I think I did ok for my first year. What did you do in 2005?

Have a great 2006 and I hope all of buys are good ones.

:ninja:

I wrote the cover story for the May issue of Numismatist, "Proof Double Eagles: Rarity and Perfection."

I wrote the cover story for the October issue of The Celator, "Copper Owls: the Emergency Coinage of Athens 406 BC"

The monthly "Internet Connections" column for the ANA moved to a "theme" format instead of just randomly surfing the Web.

I published four issues of the MSNS MichMatist on time and close to budget, winning new advertisers. I also maintained the website, www.michigancoinclub.org

I bought

NINE Central Mining Company notes (Eagle Harbor, Michigan) a 1, two 5, five 10, and a 15

ONE Erie-Kalamazoo Railroad note a 5

TWO Bank of Washtenaw Notes a 1 and a 2.

for an article I am writing about Wildcat Banking.

I bought

History of American Currency by William Graham Sumner

History of Money and Banking in the United States by Murray N. Rothbard

A Report on the Suffolk System -- this was a great catch. The Suffolk System was a clearning house in the "wildcat" era. The report is often cited by various papers published for the Federal Reserve Banks, and was heavily copied in Rothbard. However, finding the actual report took some effort. I got it from two places: I bought printouts from the Michigan State University Library and from the Adam Smith Institute in London.

I wrote my second article for the Celator, on metrology. Better than my first I think, it should be in the February issue.

I bought and sold a lot of coins

I hopefully found my collecting direction

I bought quite a few more books

I came up wit way more ideas than I have time to implement

I joined Coinpeople

So, My first year of coin collecting:

Complete set of US dollars from 1897-Present

Ikes, SBA and Sacagawea complete with proofs un-circulated

Morgan set short 10 coins; I’ll let you guess which ones.

Peace set needs a couple upgrades but it’s complete

SAE complete but only a couple of proofs

Lincoln set missing 14 wheats - circulated

Complete set of Jeffersons - circulated

Complete set of state quarters including proofs

50% complete Canadian dollar set including Commemoratives

Australian Lunar Silver dollar set 99-06

I think I did ok for my first year.

:ninja:

That is an awesome first year.

Congrats.

Well I joined this place to start and made a few friends because of it.

Started to really get back into coins. Made a few purchases that have already been WELL worth it.

My knowledge of coins in general has expanded a lot. I'll probably never learn so much about coins in a short period of time ever again.

Started my type set!

Added a good....oh.....200 coins to my collection.

Guest Stujoe

I started (re-started) seriously on my US type set. Filled in a bunch of holes in my main set. Went to a couple of coin shows. Blew up one of the largest coin collector forums on the internet. Started a number of new coin websites. Bought and read a number of good coin books. Started a major re-organizing and re-focusing of all my collections. Started to get all of my coins into Dansco albums. And probably a few other things I don't remember. :ninja:

In 2005 I've:

-won the CPI 5 competition ;)

-bought many Sadagura coins (more than 20...) ;)

-found (bought) the best 4 romanian numismatic books :ninja:

-decided to put one part of my coins (the non silver ones) in 2 x 2's. Very expensive decision... :lol:

- acquired more than 2000 coins from over the world

- expanded my numismatic site

- participated at 6 major numismatic shows in Romania

- stayed in touch with Coinpeople even from Germany...

Rest in peace 2005, you were a good year!

added many many coins to:

My Dutch collection

My US type set

My Canada type set

My UK type set

My Dominican Republic type set

My birth year collection (1966)

My Bimetallic collection

Did a project in the Dominican Republic

Set foot on ground in Cuba for the first time, hence added all the currently present coins of my Cuban type set :ninja:

Aquired some coin books:

2006 Red Book

English Silver Coinage by P. Alan Rayner

and several thing I've kinda forgotten

Did a project in the Dominican Republic

Set foot on ground in Cuba for the first time, hence added all the currently present coins of my Cuban type set :ninja:

I would like to go to Cuba sometime to work on my Cuban type set too. But I cannot come back to where I live if I do.

It was a great year, mainly because of the people right here ;)

I sold my Dansco US Type Set so I could start another, more selective one. I sold my US Half Cents and Large Cents in order to add to my British interests. I won one of the British PCI contests. I made a ton of new friends here. I re-evaluated my entire collecting strategy and made some decisions regarding the type of coins I will collect in future.

And, I think quite importantly, I learned a lot from you folks. Thank you :ninja:

I would like to go to Cuba sometime to work on my Cuban type set too.  But I cannot come back to where I live if I do.

I wonder how that would work with dual citizenship

Organized the majority of my collection (went through almost all of the film canniters, zip-lock baggies, boxes, etc where I had all sorts of loose coins that I have accumulated through the years- with magnifying glass in hand I kept the best sample and placed them in 2x2s and the rest in my Junk Jar.) Also devised how I will organize my collection:

-Type set of world coins in notebooks (additional dates in 2x2s in boxes)

-Date sets of main collecting areas in notebooks

-Silver circulating type collection in notebook

-Silver crown/dollar types in coin trays/airtites

I still have to go through my Finn and US coins and then I will be done with my orgainizing!

At the tail end, I attended my first coin show. It was very small, but quite fun. My dad took me so we could just walk around and look for my birthday.

I would like to go to Cuba sometime to work on my Cuban type set too.  But I cannot come back to where I live if I do.

sure you can. you apply for a license from treasury (maybe it's homeland security now?!?) and you go. or you don't and travel instead through a third country and you pay a civil penalty if you are caught.

and, of course, if you only spend money that was never USD while in your posession then you're not in violation.

sure you can.  you apply for a license from treasury (maybe it's homeland security now?!?) and you go.  or you don't and travel instead through a third country and you pay a civil penalty if you are caught.

and, of course, if you only spend money that was never USD while in your posession then you're not in violation.

It is bad enough going to Ukraine, Russia etc. I get to use my passport in some more still commie countries in a couple of months so I guess I will get my commie country fix :ninja:

In '05 I enjoyed expanding the number of online friends I had made here in '04, mourned the passing of this great site for the short time it appeared to be done for, and rejoiced mightily when Anton and Tiffi saved the site from obscurity.

Thanks to Stu, for creating this great site and to Anton, Tiffi and everyone else for keeping it alive when the hackers nearly ruined Stu's creation. In '06 whatever happens, I'll surely enjoy the hobby and the buying, selling and trading that keeps me interested in learning, and will be thankful for CP and for all the members here who make this a worthwhile site.

Archived