CoinPeople.com

Lowest coin mintage issue that you have?

gxseries

Just wondering how low can one possibly get. Unless you have a trial coin, low mintage coinages are somewhat difficult to get hold of, or if you get hold of one of those "remote" island coins. :ninja:

My lowest ones are here:

Soviet Union 1991 25 rubles Ballerina PROOF

901720.jpg

Mintage of just 3000, but actually the total mintage is 30,000. It is just that 3000, i.e. 10% were minted in proof and the rest were minted in uncirculated condition.

Russia 1993 5 rubles Ballerina uncirculated

905447.jpg

Mintage of 6000, but the total mintage is 8000. 2000 is the number struck for proof and this is the uncirculated version.

Soviet Union 1991 10 rubles Ballerina uncirculated

901721.jpg

Minted in crappy gold, i.e. 14k or 585 gold, mintage is strictly 6000. Who knows why the Leningrad mint decided to mint in such gold, but that is definately the first and the VERY last when they minted such "lolgold" coins.

What are yours? ;)

I do not have one but there are several coins made at 99 maximum

and 5 ounces of pure gold by monaie de paris

They sell at high premiums

:eek: monnaie de paris is notorious for doing this. Right now, even the Russian mint is issuing crazy limits of just 100 for kilo gold coins. If I remember right, the Aussie mint issued some very low mintage for the kilo platinum coins. (around 40-50???)

As well as some mint bizarre moments, (that is if I still remember right), the Canadian mint minted two different of "one-of-a-kind" gold coins, which were auctioned off for some charity event.

Anyone else with more interesting stories? :ninja:

ana1969.jpg

Not a coin but a medal, only 400 minted.

I have several coins that are under 5,000 mintage. My rarest coin however is one of which about 4-5 examples are known:

davidii2nd4d.jpg

David II of Scotland AR Groat, what is unusual about this coin is that there are 7 arcs in the tressure around the monarchs portrait, there are usually 6 arcs. In a 1968 catalog there were two known examples. Now there are believed to be about 4-5 and this is the nicest one.

I have a silver dollar sized coin that was released in the fall of 2001 by New Zealand which would commemorate the Queen of Englands visit. Only 1400 were minted and the trip was cancelled due to the 9/11 terrorists attacks in New York. They went ahead and released the coins due to the date and the Queen finally made the trip the next spring. Tried to buy a second coin about 60 days later and they had already gone from $45 to $90 so I still just have the one!

....  My rarest coin however is one of which about 4-5 examples are known:

davidii2nd4d.jpg

David II of Scotland AR Groat, what is unusual about this coin is that there are 7 arcs in the tressure around the monarchs portrait, there are usually 6 arcs.  In a 1968 catalog there were two known examples.  Now there are believed to be about 4-5 and this is the nicest one.

Whoa.......that's pretty impressive!

My lower mintage is this Portugal 10 centavos 1915 "proof" (sorry about the pics, my scan hates "proof" coins):

gallery_37_89_15881.jpg

gallery_37_89_24513.jpg

Mintage: 1 known (so far, i'm pretty sure there's more...)

Modern circulation: a Portuguese 200 Reis from D. Maria II - 1943, with 1181 pieces minted.

Commems: Some Belarus coins...

Jose :ninja:

My lowest mintage proof issue is an 1863 Dime with just 460 pieces made.

My lowest mintage business strike would have to be the 1796 Half Dollar with an official mintage of 3,918 (which also includes 1797 dated coins).

My lowest mintage commemorative coin is the 2000-W Library of Congress bimetallic $10 with a mintage of 6,683 pieces.

As for world coins, its hard to tell since most of my older stuff does not have any mintage history to go by. For those I do have mintage figures for, my 1931-R Italy 50 Lire shows only 32,000 pieces minted.

Dunno i never really bothered with mintage figures. Most of the stuff i have the figures are not known anyhow, and even if there were the survival figures would be more important.

I figure some of the Anglo-Saxon stuff i've got there can't be more than a few hundred surviving as they don't turn up on the market much. Of course all this can change should they find a hoard of a few million of them stashed somewhere... yes this has happened before.

Of one coin there are only a dozen or so specimens known of that particular moneyer. But others may exist unreportred and many may yet to be found.

Of modern issues, well i've got nothing lower than several million, that i know of.

• 1 month later...

Accidently I broke my record of 2400 today

An established Parisian coinshop went on ebay and thought ten feedbacks with 10 euro coins was enough to start selling very rare coins

Well I was the only bidder at 5% over melt

Coin is in Krause at the end of the section for France because it is a Piedfort of Hercule 50 FF silver coin but in gold only 100 pieces made and wrapped in cellophane and with a numbered and inbossed certificate and an original box

The cellophane is showing lettres of the certificate but I am going to leave it in place

In the middle is Hercules with his lion hide as only garment

Left is Lady Liberty with the Phrygian cap ( freed slave symbol) on her staff

Right is Lady Egality with the measurement tool to measure plain positioning

gallery_97_64_12287.jpg

Archived