CoinPeople.com

Coins on Stamps

mmarotta

Yesterday, searching for stamps with mathematics themes, I also bought several Greek stamps with ancient Greek coins on them. In fact, there were a few from other nations honoring old coins. Monaco, if I remember, honored a 10 Gros from the 16th century.

I am going to follow up on this for myself. I think it makes an interesting topic for an article.

Anyone else?

Also struck during the reign of Trajan (c.100 AD)was a coin from Samos honoring Pythagoras (British Museum Catalog: Ionia, Samos 237). The reverse shows Pythagoras touching a globe with a wand. This same theme appeared on coins struck for the Roman emperor Septimius Severus and his wife, Julia Mamaea (c. 200 AD), well as for the emperor Trajan Decius, and his wife, Etruscilla (c.250 AD). Since the globe appears without a deity such as Sol or Jupiter or the emperor, we can assume that these globes represent our planet. And, indeed, unlike Anaxagoras, Pythagoras really did assert that Earth is a sphere.

– “Ancient Coins Prove They Knew It Was Round”

by Michael E. Marotta.

Coin reads: "Pythagores the Samian"

Wow Mike that rules.

I remember Russia used to print stamps as a temporarily "coins", which Tane has some excellent examples.

While I can't think of coins on stamps, I can think of one example, which is the French stamp being "glued(?)" on a coin. I can't remember what it was but maybe someone can tell me?

Right now I will check through my stamp collection... I am sure I don't have much. :ninja:

This article (in German) mentions and shows a few examples of stamps as coins:

http://www.gietl-verlag.de/rundumssammeln/...uch_gs-066.html

The stamps depicted above are from Russia where (according to the caption) they were printed on cardboard, with a text on the back. They were issued and used as money during WW1. Then there are regular stamps in plastic capsules that were used like cash.

As for coins depicted on stamps, here is a nice and very recent example from San Marino:

http://www.aasfn.sm/2000/zoom00/Le%20monete_di_SanMarino.htm

... and here is a list (4 pages) of stamps with coin themes:

http://www.kosel.com/de/sh/muenz.htm

Chris-"who-cares-about-stamps?-"tian :ninja:

" Pythagoras really did assert that Earth is a sphere."

Yes Pythagoras had it right, but somewhere in the 2000 years between him and Columbus some fanatic(s), changed it to flat. Seems "reinventing the wheel", happens throughout the age. It is still happening.

Here's the ones I can find in my (deeply hybernating) collection of stamps:

Image 1600x1200, 1.2 MB

Due to poor lighting the colors are quite off :ninja:

This thread is about stamps on coins.

In my collection I have a few stamps that show older stamps.

And here in the Netherlands, we've got a series of coin-like tokens as well that show stamps. I have two of them, but can't find them right now.

Back to topic :the very last stamp that was issued here in the gulden era, was a 12.75 gulden stamp. It's minted ( ! ) out of 0.999 silver and shows us a part of the 1950-1980 gulden and a part of the 1982-2001 gulden :

postzegel%20gulden%20zilver_large.jpg

Don't forget the IHC $.13 stamps.

Thanks! and thanks to CCQ for posting the image.

Thanks also for the images from Morocco. I will make a point of stopping the stamp store this afternoon and fetching the Monaco Commem and I will look for the Morocco, etc., posted here.

Thanks, Tabbs, for the Münzen auf Briefmarken link. These newest issues will be tough today because my local stamp store has not kept up its marketing, but only adds from collectiions it buys. Consequently, it has nothing much from from before 1990.

In 1991, the US Postal Service honored the 100th anniversary of the ANA with a stamp commemorative Numismatics. Did any other nation issue a Numismatics commemorative?

Thanks also for the images from Morocco.  I will make a point of stopping the stamp store this afternoon and fetching the Monaco Commem and I will look for the Morocco, etc., posted here.

Michael, if my memory serves me correctly, those were issued in the late 1970's or early 1980's. I got them from a relative who had been there on a vacation. I have two stamped ones too, I'll have a look if there's a date visible (and understandable :ninja: )

OK, I had a look, the green one with the square coin I also have a stamped specimen of, it's stamped 20th of May, 1975 or 1976, can't read the last digit very well.

The IHC 13c is probably among my fav US stamps due to it's small size. I think it was one of the 2-3 types that were tried (small, 150 to a sheet) in 1978 before the rate change to 15c.

Anyways, here's another US goodie from only 3 years earlier:

th_a23dc_scan0006.jpg

In 1991, the US Postal Service honored the 100th anniversary of the ANA with a stamp commemorative Numismatics.  Did any other nation issue a Numismatics commemorative?

Is this one? Mine is not cancelled. I bought it from the post office the year it was issued.

US stamp

Here is the only other one that I have that is remotely related, a Finnish 1.50FIM stamp. It does not have a coin on it, just an older banknote.

Finn stamp

There is also a US two stamp pair for Coins and Commerce that shows four coins on top of part of a horseblanket note. I know one of the coins is the reverse of a Liberty double eagle, and there is a seated quarter, and I believe a morgan dollar. Sorry I don't have a picture.

Found it I was wrong it was Banking and Commerce and the background was the panagraph lathework seen on the borders of US banknotes but not an actual note. The fourth coin was an Indian Head cent.

1577-78-1.25.jpg

There is also a US two stamp pair for Coins and Commerce that shows four coins on top of part of a horseblanket note.  I know one of the coins is the reverse of a Liberty double eagle, and there is a seated quarter, and I believe a morgan dollar.  Sorry I don't have a picture.

Found it I was wrong it was Banking and Commerce and the background was the panagraph lathework seen on the borders of US banknotes but not an actual note.  The fourth coin was an Indian Head cent.

1577-78-1.25.jpg

I've always really liked that stamp.

• 3 weeks later...

I remember that I saw in '80's a serie of romanian stamps about ancient coins (Greeks or Dacian).

And right now it is in use a serie of stamps with the new Romanian coins, 2005 issue.

It's a very interesting website:Coins on Stamps (hu)

Tiffi beat me to it. Yes, this is very useful and important site. Even though it is in Hungarian, it is fairly easy to navigate. They use use common English names for countries -- Germany, Hungary, Switzerland, etc.

Hello! ;)

It's a very interesting website:Coins on Stamps (hu)

:ninja:

Have to agree with the others. That's an interesting and nicely done site.

Dear Friends!

My name's Attila, I'm from Hungary. The Coins on Stamps (hu) website taht is mine. My Englis is wrong, sorry!! :ninja:

I collecting stamps from the world with show coins or banknotes. If you have seen wathever stamps, what not available on my web-site, please send me an e-mail!

I'm interested in some US stamps, with show coins.

I can to pay with PayPal.

Can you send me this kind of stamps? Thank you!!

Sincerely

Attila

Here is a link of the catalogue that I got that features coins on stamps. I got to see the stamps but unfortunately those are too pricy for me - you will understand why if you see the catalogue. Sorry I hadn't had the time to crop the picture.

There should be three coins featured there if I am not mistaken.

Warning: it is 371kb!!!

http://img303.imageshack.us/img303/3111/sg2006catpg206zs.jpg

Enjoy! ;)

P.S. the site http://gportal.hu/portal/kovasati/ is just great!!! Well done lala96!!! :ninja:

Here is a link of the catalogue that I got that features coins on stamps. I got to see the stamps but unfortunately those are too pricy for me - you will understand why if you see the catalogue. Sorry I hadn't had the time to crop the picture.

There should be three coins featured there if I am not mistaken.

Warning: it is 371kb!!!

http://img303.imageshack.us/img303/3111/sg2006catpg206zs.jpg

Enjoy! ;)

P.S. the site http://gportal.hu/portal/kovasati/ is just great!!! Well done lala96!!! :ninja:

Thank you!

Gold stamps....It's a wow!!

...unfortunately it's very expensiv for me! ;)

I collecting "simple" post stamps. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Mike! ;)

Yours letter is arrived! Excellent, thank you!

But an international post to mishandle. :ninja:

OK!

I'll send for you Hungaryan stamps, that you write me.

I updated Coins on Stamps (hu) web-site.

Sincerely

Attila

Archived