CoinPeople.com

Talk me out of this.... Or into bidding

bobbycoin

I don't know, I mean if you knew for sure he didn't search through it and pull out the good stuff then sure, probably a good deal. I've found that most lots like this on ebay have had anything nice pulled out, I mean, if they are smart enough to post on ebay and look at feedback then he is smart off to do a search on the coins in there and see how much they are worth alone.

I don't know, I mean if you knew for sure he didn't search through it and pull out the good stuff then sure, probably a good deal. I've found that most lots like this on ebay have had anything nice pulled out, I mean, if they are smart enough to post on ebay and look at feedback then he is smart off to do a search on the coins in there and see how much they are worth alone.

A good point, another thing I noticed in his past auctions is that he has sold nice coins before... so its not like he doesnt knwo what they are/could be worth.

Im still in debate. Got a few hours to ho-humm

-Bobby

I'd be more worried about what lurks underneath the nice ones on top!  Could be a few silver dollars and a bunch of wheat pennies!

He makes a good point. Kind of like those grab bags. People say they are unsearched and contain 2-3 wheats. Check the feedback and they are 8-10 wheats of the most common dates.

Then again.......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=8330512261

The buyer seemed pretty happy with this box.

Tough call Bobby. Wish we knew exactly what to tell you.

....and prob not gonna be worth $400

Thats my biggest worry.

I sent the guy an email just to see what he would say if at all:

"Hello, I believe that I want to bid on your auction for the box of coins. I have a favor to ask. Can you first give me the dates of at least 2 of the Morgan dollars that are in the picture and also grab a handfull of coins and let me knwo the dates on those? This will help me deside how much I would like to bid. Thanks."

-Bobby

Going by the pic, I wouldn't do more than $150 conservatively, $200 as a gamble.

BTW, I don't see a feedback from the current high bidder on the last lot. There's a good chance he's just one of the gambler types.

A responce:

"Hi, I looked at them and 3 of the morgans on top are 1889 1891 1897 and then the other coins I looked at are 1876 1899 1904 1908 thanks, Steve "

Well I was hoping he would have the consideration to tell me what coins he pulled out but no.... and the dates he gave me sound like common IHCs. So my guess would be about $40-$50 for the 7 coins.

I think Im leaning away from this one... but still tempted

-Bobby

What keeps me going back and looking at this auction is the fact that the box it is in is not a small box.... Let me try and hotlink the pic:

2a_1_b.JPG

I would def say there is at least 400 coins in that box. Im just wondering how many would be worth the $1 a piece I would end up paying for them.

-Bobby

At its current price, my advice is don't bid. If the box was full of big chunky silver I might consider. (I like big chunky silver. :ninja: ) However, look at how the coins have been positioned on the top. A few big silvers (lots of surface area) and some others are spread out flat on the top, almost as if to hide what is underneath. There might be some goodies in there but personally, I would balk at it.

Babe.....I dont want to steer you towards the no here, but just be careful....I know you know more about these sorta things then I do....but $400.00 Dizzles for a box 'o coins, just sounds like an awful lot of money to me.

Looking at some of his feedback and seeing what the auctions were, he bought most of this stuff from other ebay members and odds are has already pulled anything he wants out. I would bet underneath is mostly junk. One of the auctions he bought 20 Morgans for $163. In the auction notes it says from the seller...Here are 20 Morgan dollars with some problems....

I wouldn't even bother with it.

If you assume everything underneath is just wheaties, that is probably about 25 rolls worth, which would be about $25. On top you can see probably $90 in silver dollars, plus $9 in walkers, $10 in barber quarters, $5 in seated quarters and $10 in mercs, so to me the worst you could do is get $149 in coins for $400 (remember, this is a worst case scenario). It's possible to get your money's worth, but there would have to be something worthwile underneat (keep in mind a cigar box can hold a lot of coins!).

Whenever I see auctions like this, I think of the auctions I have seen for the chest full of wheat cents that someone found in an attic. Someone did a calculation once and if the chest was actually full, it woyuld have weighed so much that it would have come crashing through any ceiling ever made. :ninja:

I treat these kind of auctions like I would buying $400 worth of scratch off tickets. You don't know what you are going to get before you scratch it. You might win thousands, you might break even. But, the odds are, you are going to come out of it with less than the $400 you went in with. ;)

Then again.......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=8330512261

The buyer seemed pretty happy with this box.

Tough call Bobby. Wish we knew exactly what to tell you.

well if you look at the guy that seemed happys feedbacks, looks like the guy sells some decent/nice coins, i saw he sold a nice gold coin.

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...erid=steves7617

that is the guy that bought one of those boxes, look at the stuff he sold...

I think human nature and curiosity makes it impossible to believe that anyone would ever "find" a big box of silver coins in the attic and then sell them on eBay without ever searching though them to see if there was anything really valuable. It is even less likely that a collector/dealer, which this guy obviously is based on all his eBay purchases of coins, would buy/find a bunch of coins and then turn around and sell them without knowing exactly what he had. My guess is that he buys lots of coins on eBay and elsewhere, takes out what he wants, and then sells the leftovers in lots like this.

I'm not saying he's a bad guy....just bid accordingly.

I know the auction is done and Bobby didn't bid, and thankfully win, but who keeps there collection in boxes like that? So disorganized, coins clanking together. Plus he says the boxes are old and falling apart, how many of these lots does he have?

My bet, like many others posted, is your looking at the best stuff on top. Good job staying away Bobby, esp at $400.

Archived