CoinPeople.com

Numismatic books

Sir Sisu

In this case "kleiner" simply means "small". The term is a little misleading since even this small catalog has almost 600 pages ;) As for the order in which the coins appear, well, the Jaeger (the "Bible" for post-1871 German coins) does the same thing. Makes it easier to see which coins are part of a certain series - but sure, if you want to look a piece up, the order by denomination makes more sense.

Fortunately the Schön catalogs have the Jaeger numbers (for German coins) and the KM numbers (for other coins) too. What is also nice, by the way, is that Gerhard Schön is an active member of some German coin forums.

Christian

I am proud to own the "Deutscher Muenzkatalog 18. Jahrhundert" 1984 by Gerhard Schoen with autograph (not for me :ninja: ), found on an old book store in Munchen

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just bought this little book, thought I would share. Very informative, a history and how its done regarding minting coins by Shire

3de9_1_b.JPG

Coins and Minting: Shire Album No. 106

Cooper, Denis

What's the time frame on the history?

Ancient to modern and in between...although it is a small little book, it packs a lot of info in it and covers many of the different historical methods, from hammering to modern presses and many in between as well as photos, diagrams of different old style presses and how mints were set up at different times in history. Nice little book. I had hoped it would be more of a 'how to' to do it yourself minting but I am not at all disappointed that it turned out to be a history of minting through the ages....even my wife who isnt into coins at all started reading it and enjoyed it and was impressed at how much info was packed into such a small book and loved the old illustations, photos and diagrams.

Jetons, Medalets & Tokens, The Low Countries and France by Mitchiner. I lowballed this on eBay and won it. Now I need to ante up and get Volumes 1 & 3, :ninja:

For Russian medals lovers I'd highly recommend 5 volumes by Mr Diakov. It has become a real classic reference . I believe he's now finishing up volume #6. The reference beautifully printed and easy to navigate through . Both in English and Russian (English translation is somewhat sloppy in some cases).

The Oldman.

I just picked up my first coin book. The Official Blackbook Price Guide to World Coins, 2007......

Just got home from picking it up..... now to start looking through it..... :ninja:

L Forrer, Biographical Dictionary of Medallists (9 vols., 1904-1930, reprinted 1987)

G Kienast, Goetz II: A Supplement to The Medals of Karl Goetz, Volume II

I have four other copies of the Kienast book but they are tough to get a hold of so I grab them when I can.

Both lots were won at the recent Charles Davis auction.

L Forrer, Biographical Dictionary of Medallists (9 vols., 1904-1930, reprinted 1987)

G Kienast, Goetz II: A Supplement to The Medals of Karl Goetz, Volume II

I have four other copies of the Kienast book but they are tough to get a hold of so I grab them when I can.

Both lots were won at the recent Charles Davis auction.

What do you do with the extra copies?

Magic, Myth, and Money: The Origin of Money in Religious Ritual. by William Desmonde (Free Press of Glencoe, New York, 1962)

An odd little book involving a Jungian analysis of the origion of money in religious symbolism. (Don't ask why, it had to do with my interests in symbolism and Celtic coins.)

Coins and Power in Late Iron Age Britain. by John Creighton (Cambridge University Press, 2000)

I think he (and others) stretch the evidence with entoptic analysis, but there is plenty else to interest me.

Celtic Coinage: New Discoveries, New Discussion. Edited by Philip de Jersey. (BAR International Series 1532, Oxford, 2006)

Interesting collection of papers, my main interest is in several studies of Roman influences on Celtic coins.

Just bought the '04 Redbook for $0.01 off Ebay :ninja: Yeah I know it is a year old but for the price I couldn't pass it up.

I just got the 2007 Red Book. it's spiral bound and looks like it will last as long as I need it.

Interesting fact, when silver bullion is $13.99 per ounce any pre 1964 American silver coin is worth 10X it's face value, just for melt. Every 1964 Roosevelt dime is worth a Buck.

GEMSTOCKS

What do you do with the extra copies?

I'm currently holding on to them but will probably sell them in Germany. They are very rare over there and sell for $300+ per copy.

I also have both volumes of Kienast's working copies...a spendy set to say the least. I felt that since I have ownership of the copyrights for both books then I should own his working copies too. Both volumes will be "refurbished", combined, and integrated into my website where everyone can read them and view the medal descriptions with high-res images.

Not coins but notes. Picked this up at the non-profit used book store for $1...

donlonbookaoz7.jpg

I don't collect notes and know very little about them, but this is loaded with some nice pictures and info.

One day I would like to get this note as a complement to the Bison coins.

donlonbook2aq6.jpg

I don't imagine I could get these 1979 prices though...*sigh*

• 2 months later...

I haven't exactly kept up to date, but I did acquire Michael Mitchiner's Jeton's, Medalets & Tokens, Volume 2 The Low Countries and France.

Francis Paul Prucha's Indian Peace Medals in American History

but the most interesting came by accident today as I scanned a used bookstore that was new to me.

Matthew Boulton by H.W. Dickinson, Cambridge, 1937. It is a science biography, history volume with a chapter on Coinage and the Soho Mint. An appendix includes a Memoir of Boulton by James Watt written in 1809. Some foxing, but it looks like a decent biography.

• 3 weeks later...

A few new acquisitions.

For my French collctions:

Historie du Roy Louis le Grand par les Medailles by Claude-François Menestrier (Chez I.B. Nolin, Paris, 1693)

For my numismatic history (and David Bowers) collection:

Virgil Brand: The Man and His Era, Profile of a Numismatist (Bowers and Merena, 1983, Hardbound, signed)

Abe Kosoff: Dean of Numismatics (Bowers and Merena, 1985, Hardbound, signed and numbered)

An Inside View of the Coin Hobby in the 1930s: The Walter P. Nichols File (Bowers and Merena, 1984, Softbound)

The Norweb Collection: An American Legacy (by Michael Hodder and Bowers, Bowers and Merena, 1987, Hardbound, signed, numbered).

and finally, for my general library:

The Early Paper Money of America by Eric P. Newman (3rd Edition, Krause Publications, 1990)

• 1 month later...

My latest purchases are as follows ;)

Roman Silver Coins - A Price Guide

by Richard Plant

Collectors Bank Notes 2006

(Treasury and Bank of England)

by Chris Perkins

British Armed Forces

Special Vouchers

by TEA Van Elmpt

The trouble I had finding the last book LOL

:ninja:

* Handbook of Ancient Greek and Roman coins -- by Whitman

* The official Red book Aguide Book of Flying Eagle and Indian Head Cents

By Rick Snow- Autographed

*The flying Eagle and Indian cent Attribution guide Vol 1, Vol 2, Vol 6

in the Binder By Rick Snow- All three Autographed

*Looking Through Lincoln cents by Charles Daughtry - Hope fully will be Autographed

also * High Profits from Rare coin investment by Q. David Bowers

* The Collectors HAndbook

* the PCGS numbering System 16th Edition

* The PCGS Population report july 2005

• 2 months later...

Comitia Americana and Related Medals: Under Appreciated Monuments to Our Heritage

by John W. Adams and Anne E. Bentley

Published by George Frederick Kolbe, 1997

Beautiful book on a wonderful series. Its worth it for so many reason. but the photograph of Washington's original set of Comitia Americana medals in the original box commissioned by Thomas Jefferson is fairly special in and of itself.