CoinPeople.com

Numismatic books

Sir Sisu

I've just ordered my first book from Amazon and having read that i'm hoping like hell they don't lose it! £75 is alot to go missing... only another six weeks to wait before they can get hold of it and send it.

:ninja:

Don't know what difficulties shipping to the UK will add but I've used Amazon for many years and have never had a lost or damaged item. What did you order?

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well i've actually orddered it from Amazon.co.uk so it's not even coming that far.

I've ordered a copy of K. R. Potter's, Gesta Stephani (Oxford, 1976)

It's not like it's even a big book, but it's been out of print since the mid-80s i think. Original issue price was £10 and that was a fair bit of money in 1976! I don't think it's quite like £75 is now though...

I do have a copy from the Uni library sat here next to me at the moment... in fact i checked it out of the library for nearly a year at one point when i was doing my project at University. I'm thinking of extending this project and perhaps seeing if i can get it published. And University is really gonna want their copy back, unfortunately i leave at Christmas and thus the only copy i've been able to source anywhere i'll not longer have access to.

The cheaper option would have been to 'lose' the Uni's copy, declare it lost and then they would have charged me £10 for the book (which was the issue price), however i'm a] honest and b] someone else might need this in future. So i've had no choice but to cough up another £65.

Of course i could have photocopied the whole thing but that's illegal, so i won't.

I've just ordered my first book from Amazon and having read that i'm hoping like hell they don't lose it! £75 is alot to go missing... only another six weeks to wait before they can get hold of it and send it.

You needn't worry. Both myself and my postman were shocked that Amazon lost a package - it's never happened to either of us before.

Das Kabinett 4

Das Münzkabinett und die Förderung der Medaillenkunst

Künstlerbriefe 1900-1914

von der Jahrhundertwende bis zum Ersten Weltkrieg

Das Kabinett 5

Das Münzkabinett und die Förderung der Medaillenkunst

Künstlerbriefe 1914-1918

Medaillenedition im Ersten Weltkrieg

I just received Art Forms and Civic Life in the Lare Roman Empire by H.P. L'Orange. This was recommended on the Byzantine yahoo group. I was inquiring about the reasons of the change from realistic portraits done in profile to the more abstracted facing portraits used in the later Empire. So hopefully this will shed some light.

Numismatist's Traveling Companion,

Numismatist's Topside Companion,

Numismatist's Downtown Companion, and

Numismatist's Countryside Companion

To go along with my Numismatist's Bedside Companion and

Numismatist's Lakeside Companion

• 2 weeks later...
I received in the mail Saturday " The Fantasitic Story of the 1965 Canadian Dollar Varieties", which is a pamphlet-size reprint of an article from the Oct. 6, 1965 issue of Coin World.  It has as about a dozen photos of the various diagnostics for the three known (at the time) varieties.

I saw that book on eBay and would have bid if the other books weren't included with it. Nice.

• 2 weeks later...

I have received Byzantine Coinage by Philip Grierson, he was a former advisor to the Dumbarton Oaks for Byzantine Numismatics. It's a very nice little volume with a basic overview of Byzantine coin types and some very helpful notes. Only 68 pages in total so it's a nice intro for Byzantine coins. I don't have the Berk so I'm not sure how they compare.

I didn't know they made them leather bound. Never seen one, in fact. What do they run?

I think I remeber those from Barnes and Noble last year. I may be wrong, but I thought it was around $16.95.

I didn't know they made them leather bound. Never seen one, in fact. What do they run?

I think the leather bound Redbooks run around $70.00. Also, they are larger than the regular redbooks. Page has wide margins. Info and pics are the same size as the regular redbook. They're very nice. I'm hoping to win one someday in one of our club thingys.

I think the leather bound Redbooks run around $70.00. Also, they are larger than the regular redbooks. Page has wide margins. Info and pics are the same size as the regular redbook. They're very nice. I'm hoping to win one someday in one of our club thingys.

You are correct, $70

http://www.whitmanbooks.com/Default.aspx?P...ctID=0794819524