CoinPeople.com

Numismatic books

Sir Sisu

We took a day trip to the Fiskars forge over the weekend. Among the cafés and artists boutiques was a bookshop specializing in antiques/art/collecting/etc. I came across this book at a decent price (by Finnish standards) and had to get it.

Its starting point is modern nations and gives brief details of that nation's coinage history. A few small example pictures of each country's coins are given., often including historical maps when refering to past borders, empires, nations, etc.

This does not give major details of individual countries, but does offer a broad overview of world coinage. While Krause is fun to look at, this makes for entertaining reading. I know other similar type books exist, which may be more thorough. But for a general world view, this makes for fun reading.

The Coin Atlas. Joe Cribb, Barrie Cook, Ian Carradice. TimeWarner Books: 1999 (1990). 223pp. Paperback, 16cm X 21cm. ISBN: 0-316-72707-5.

gallery_6_9_4601.jpg

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just got my Large Cent Attribution Guide for 1840-1857 in today's mail. It's commonly called the Grellman book. Very neat book.

Here's a link to one on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...AMEBI%3AIT&rd=1

grellman.jpg

The Coin Atlas. Joe Cribb, Barrie Cook, Ian Carradice. TimeWarner Books: 1999 (1990). 223pp.  Paperback, 16cm X 21cm. ISBN: 0-316-72707-5.

gallery_6_9_4601.jpg

Did you notice, there is no mention of Canada or Turkey - except on the maps!!! :ninja:

Yes! I bought one and appart from the above I enjoyed it

Last one I purchased ( a few weeks ago) was "Papal Coins" by Allen Berman. Excellent book, well plated.

Wow, this is interesting.

I just came here from Amazon where I had ordered:

5 copies of the 2006 Redbook. One for me, one for the coin club, 3 to give to the local library whos numismatic material availability is poor and I am trying to help it out.

5 copies of the 2004 edition of The Official Guide to Coin Grading and Counterfeit Detection Edition #2. One for me, one for the coin club, 3 to the local library again.

1 copy of The Complete Guide to Buffalo Nickels, 2nd Edition. For me. I don't collect Buffalos, well, not yet anyway! :ninja:

9660339.jpg

I didn't buy this book but I did read large sections of it.

Very interesting...

This is the same book I received this past Christmas. A really good read.

Jerry

My "Dream Coin" is on page 45 - 1880 Flowing Hair Stella

US type coins by Q David Bowers. Highly recommended.

I've got an extra brand new one of these that's destined for my ebay store. Anyone want to get it pre-store pm me.

It's a terrific book. :ninja:

I received in the mail Saturday " The Fantasitic Story of the 1965 Canadian Dollar Varieties", which is a pamphlet-size reprint of an article from the Oct. 6, 1965 issue of Coin World. It has as about a dozen photos of the various diagnostics for the three known (at the time) varieties.

I've got a case and a half of RedBooks coming. They may be here sometime this week. I'll probably have a few extra for CP folks. Most of mine are the spiral bound. We use them for door prizes at the Coin Club and things like that.

:ninja:

Just bought the '04 Redbook for $0.01 off Ebay ;) Yeah I know it is a year old but for the price I couldn't pass it up.

That's a good buy no matter what the year. Congrats. :ninja:

• 3 weeks later...

Well it's not exactly new since i bought it a while ago, but;

Nicholas Mayhew, Sterling; The History of a Currency (London, 2000)

I've yet to read it despite the fact i've had it about 5 months. It is literally though a history of all the coinage acts and things right from the era Domesday Book (1080s) to the aftermath of the Second World War.

Includes such things as trade and mercantile activities, interest rates, exchange rates, import/export duties, financial matters and how they affected domestic and foreign policy. Some mention of the coinage itself, the first gold coinage of Henry III, the bullion shortages of the early 15th century, the shift to milled coinage. Bimetalism and the Gold Standard, fiat currencies. Decimalisation and the euro. No doubt mention will be made of the esterlings of the low countries and perhaps the Danegeld, although that is a little earlier than this book a few million silver pennies being paid to the Scandinavians regularly must get some mention somewhere. As will the coinage laws of Athelstan, one coin for the realm and the fierce punishments introduced for those found producing substandard coinage.

It should be an interesting read therefore.