CoinPeople.com

Which 2010 cent design do you like the most?

thedeadpoint

Which 2010 cent design do you like the most?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which 2010 cent design do you like the most?

• LP-13 - shield
    • LP-17 - eagle with arrows and branches
    • LP-02 - capital from front
    • LP-15 - eagle with shield
    • LP-01 - capital from angle
    • LP-17 - small eagle with banner over shield
    • LP-18 - wheat
    • NA-05 - bundle of arrows
    • NA-03 - Tree

Hi all,

Here are proposed designs for the 2010 Lincoln cent reverse. The images were taken from this article.

ccac170.jpg

Which design is your favorite?

I think the shield design would look wonderful on a copper-colored coin the size of the cent.

I voted for LP15. The shield is my next favorite. I can still remember how excited I was when they changed from the Wheaties to the Memorial backs.

I cast my vote for LP-15, since it strikes me as a design that is clean, balanced, fundamentally American, and will wear and age very gracefully. I'd say that LP-17 is my second choice for many of the same reasons, although the eagle would probably be too detailed to wear gracefully.

As for the others...

The white house designs are just too busy and would not wear gracefully at all.

The shield is ok, but just isn't that appealing to me. It would probably work as a medal, but probably not as a circulating coin.

I just don't like the bundles of wheat design, and the "One country, One Destiny" design looks too much like an 18th century coin for my tastes.

I voted for LP15. The shield is my next favorite. I can still remember how excited I was when they changed from the Wheaties to the Memorial backs.

I voted LP13. Everything is symbolic of something in our government. Wheat stalks are symbolic of one thing, arrows another, the eagle one thing, the shield another. First problem I have with LP15 is that the eagle is too similar to a dove. Although, symbolically, a dove may represent peace, we use a different symbol for that. The eagle is supposed to symbolize the characteristics and attributes of our nation. Our nation is to be bold and strong. The eagle in LP15 just does not define that for me.

Likewise, LP17 shows an eagle taking off in flight. The problem I have with that particular eagle is that the laurel and arrows are held TOGETHER by this eagle taking off in flight. That kind of symbolism is not what I would propose. I would rather see an eagle akin to that of the Kennedy Half Dollar, showing laurel in one talon, and arrows in the other, symbolizing our capacity for peace and our ability to defend it.

LP02 is a nice rendition that is conceivable for the cent, but LP1 is just not conceivable, in my opinion. It would require too much detail for the high capacity output. If such a design were to be minted, it would most certainly be weakly struck with very few coins showing the strong detail of the Capitol, and without such detail, would just be quite an ugly coin, in my opinion.

The eagle on LP16 is too serpentine, and LP18 resembles the back side of a turkey, in my opinion.

No comment on the dollar reverses.

All just my opinion. But I take coins for what they truly are...an extension of the country they represent.

LP18 resembles the back side of a turkey, in my opinion.

Great comments all-around but this one is my favorite! :ninja:

I don't know if anyone else noticed, but NA-05 has what appears to be a Native American cloth surrounding a bunch of arrows. I'm OK with it but I can see some people drawing bad conclusions about Native Americans.

I'll go with LP-17 over LP-15 just because the latter looks a little cartoony for my taste. I think both dollar designs could look really cool when they're actually sitting in your hand. Still hate the "$1" though.

I think both dollar designs could look really cool when they're actually sitting in your hand. Still hate the "$1" though.

I agree but I think those are just place holders since these are just designs intended for cent coins (I think(.

LP18 resembles the back side of a turkey, in my opinion.

Kinda like this....................

I don't care for any of them, most are take off of older coinage, the mint artist need to get some imagination and some talent, and what do any of these designs have to do with what Lincoln has done to unite and keep the nation as one.

According to them, that is what these design are suppose to represent, let keep it with a Lincoln theme, I could come up with something better in my sleep, OH, I already did...............................

20103.jpg

civil_war2.jpg

I like the shield design, but as for them wearing nicely, you must remember that modern cents do not wear at all, they get a few scratches, then the zinc corrodes and you are pretty much left with an unidentifiable mass. So what a design looks like when it wears is of little concern with cents!

Referred to as cent designs. I think since they are designs, you can ignore the "$" part.

Maybe. I could be wrong.

But, I think they just added the possibilities for the Native American Dollar Coins to this list by accident. Ergo the NA instead of LP in front of the design and the Indian theme of the two dollar denom coins.

http://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/nativeamerican/

Ciao,

Capt AWACS

I thnk you are correct Capt. and I also thing that LP-15, LP-16 and LP-17 would be more appropriate for dollars (or at least anything above a dime, call me old school, but I think eagles do not belong on the reverse of small denominations).

PS- I got the mail in and on the cover of the Coin World is the new pick for the 2010 cent, the flag reverse! Ugh.

2010_Lincoln_Cent_Design_10.jpg

I thnk you are correct Capt. and I also thing that LP-15, LP-16 and LP-17 would be more appropriate for dollars (or at least anything above a dime, call me old school, but I think eagles do not belong on the reverse of small denominations).

PS- I got the mail in and on the cover of the Coin World is the new pick for the 2010 cent, the flag reverse! Ugh.

2010_Lincoln_Cent_Design_10.jpg

WORST DESIGN EVER. No joke.

Archived