CoinPeople.com

Safes

Mark Stilson

I know you would have to add time. This was in a open warehouse, not bolted down, and they had just the right tools for it. If it were tucked away or in a corner bolted down it would probably add a bunch of time to it.

Give me a lever and I'll move the world.

Some of the older safes from the late 19th and early 20th century are some of the best, very expensive and hard to find. When those were made, they were made with security as the emphasis and cost being no object.

I keep my coins in a shoe box in a room surrounded by bears, and the shoe box is filled with poisonous gases and an electric field equivalent to four trillion bolts of lightning. I miss seeing my coins :ninja:

I keep my coins in a shoe box in a room surrounded by bears, and the shoe box is filled with poisonous gases and an electric field equivalent to four trillion bolts of lightning. I miss seeing my coins ;)

Giving a new meaning to paranoid and over-protective...

:ninja:

Clive.

I considered buying a safe from my work, but the where all crappy models with electronic keypads and stuff :|

Right now all my coins are just scatterd on worktops. I can't even find a way to keep them organised!

Buy an album or a cabinet.

Check out these: http://historiccoinage.com/supplies.aspx

Clive.

to be honest i feel perfectly safe here in bahrain xD...even though 3 of my neighbor's have been robbed .. its cause i have 2 dogs here and since most robbers here are muslims who think that dogs are "unclean" so will avoid em >;) even though im also a muslim ..i think its stupid to think of dogs as unclean ..mehh anyway and my dad wakes up from the slightest noise .... another thing is ....most of the robbers dont know the value of coins here and think that stealing something valueless or hard to sell is a waste of time :ninja: and plus im awake about 3/4 of the time ....and the main factor ;) even if a robber does manage to steal my coin collection...good luck for finding all my coins ..... my collection is so huge i have officialy lost track of which coins i have and which i dont...and all are stored in diff places such as my book shelf my closet my small treasure chest......X( mehhh soon to add a coin cabnit also ..so may god help me in sorting all this mess out ;) i dont see a reason for a safe over here ...plus im 16..who will think that i collect something valueble >;)

All you have to do is look at RD's sig to see his hi-tech security...

As for LD, well... The ignorant robbers will think all of his coins are fake because they look too good to be true!

:ninja:

Clive.

All you have to do is look at RD's sig to see his hi-tech security...

ai and i test them personaly also ;)...have to go ice my ankle ...... xD nah just like LD said also ...but compared to a 16 year old teen my room is not that messy ..but my book shelf and closet are MESSY full of collage booklets and stuff and zippo lighters (i store em for my dad mehh ) and well books and cloth and pda and ...well every thing i can push in >:ninja: so the outter part looks clean xD

Even those expensive ones can be broken into in a similar manner. All you need are some tools that use gears to pull or push metal. It's like a reverse, manual jaws of life. Also, even cheap ones can be bolted to the floor, and filled with half a ton of weight so it can't be tipped over. Good luck prying a door open when you can't even fit a crowbar between to wall and the door opening! Just place it in a stategic area, with lots of weight, and lots of junk around it. Most wouldn't even bother with it and just steal your TV instead.

Once I get a collection settled down an am not doing much with it day to day, the safety deposit box is my preferred safe location.I can't put my books there though, but I think fire is more of a threat to my library than theft.

let's see:

- safe not bolted down

- safe in middle of room with sufficient clearance to be toppled over

- in these parts, burglars aren't so much interested in prying open metal boxes are they are interested in grabbing some valuable stuff and getting out

- they want something easily fenceable: the laptop or the unknown contents of the locked safe?

so i think i'm good taking my chances.

let's see:

- safe not bolted down

- safe in middle of room with sufficient clearance to be toppled over

- in these parts, burglars aren't so much interested in prying open metal boxes are they are interested in grabbing some valuable stuff and getting out

- they want something easily fenceable: the laptop or the unknown contents of the locked safe?

so i think i'm good taking my chances.

I have to agree. The Long bar used in the video alone would disqualify these theives in my house. I have no where near enough space to get that kind of leverage! I'd probably give them a coin for trying. lol. :ninja:

I have a pit bull,,, very protective and motherly to my kids,, I rub red pepper in her eyes anytime we leave the house for an extended period of time... keeps her pissed off for days. I give a single guy (with crowbar) a 20% of living,, 2 guys with crow bars probably have even odds.... but I'd guess they'd probably pick another house when they saw her come running showing nothing but teeth and tears in her eyes... :ninja:

I have a pit bull,,, very protective and motherly to my kids,, I rub red pepper in her eyes anytime we leave the house for an extended period of time... keeps her pissed off for days.

Is that not animal cruelty...?

ha,, sorry, don't want PETA on my doorstep.. yes, it was a joke. Don't even have a pitt, too dangerous for my taste,, just a loud yellow lab.. although she'd probably throw a total fit if someone piddled around her house in off hours.. very loud, but all bark. As far as topic is concerned,, I'd agree with what's been said with respect to calculated risk. I'm not going to invest 5k to protect 10k in coins,, especially since I believe that a real pro would not be in a hurry,, probably would know my schedule better than me, probably know the neighbors schedule, police routes, etc.. as well. I've always assumed that if targeted by a professional thieft ring or group,, I'm mudd, as well as anyone else who would be so unfortunate. I've see the boys at steel yards cut old hulls from tankers, 1-3" steel, like butter with the right tool,, these tools are also portable and would cut any safe I've ever seen outside of a bank in half within seconds.

I'd rank the smash and grab thieves that are illustrated with crack head thieves,, probably more interested in tv's, vcr's, plasma tv's, etc.. For these guys I have purchased a 700 dollar safe to slow them down abit and hopfully disuade them, bolted to floor, and in a hard to get to place in the house that would require a bit of egg hunting time and then get to it time. In addition I keep a readily available gun in home,, and am eager to try it out on anyone stupid or desperate enough to come by... not joking. :ninja:

I think the big big safes are for folks that probably don't represent the majority of us common collectors... now if your living in Beverly Hills and have 250k or more in valuables laying around the house...., then maybe.

For the rest of us:

Cheap value safes

Neighborhood watches !!

Home alarms

Loud dogs

Handy gun

Here are two videos I found that are pretty interesting and deal with this subject to a degree. In otherwords, don't use cheap locks, and don't use loose shanked locks.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/877709/how_t...o_a_combo_lock/

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/991194/dont_...ck_no5_padlock/

Archived