CoinPeople.com

Safes

Mark Stilson

1) I can decode a basic masterlock in about 10 minutes.

2) Check out that long crowbar bend!

3) If I had a safe, I wouldnt be able to bolt it down anywhere except the garage because of the cheap supplies they make suburban houses with these days.

1) I can decode a basic masterlock in about 10 minutes.

How the heck can you go about decoding a master lock? There are way to many combos to go through in 10 minutes...and I doubt you can just use a stethoscope to it and listen for clicks like they do in movies...

so please, do share. :ninja:

How the heck can you go about decoding a master lock? There are way to many combos to go through in 10 minutes...and I doubt you can just use a stethoscope to it and listen for clicks like they do in movies...

so please, do share. :ninja:

Alright. So basically the masterlocks have a mechanical flaw that lets you narrow it down to 100 combinations. 100 combinations? That's a ton? No. Not compared to 64,000!

Basically, you turn the dial and pull the bar out simultaneously. Eventually you'll find a point where the bar is pulled out and you can't turn the dial. There are 12 of these sticking points.

Now, of these 12 points - 7 of them are BETWEEN two numbers... say BETWEEN 29 and 30.

The other 5 are ON a number - say 5, 7, 15, 25, 35.

Now, look. Of those 5 numbers, all but one ends in the same DIGIT! Look above, they all end in 5 except the number 7!

So, you found your last number of the 3! 7!!!

Now, simple math narrows it down further.

Integer divide 7 by 4. What do you get? 1 with a remainder of 3. The FIRST number also has a remainder of 3 when divided by 4. For example: 3, 7, 11, 15, etc. There are 10 of these number!!

The SECOND number will have a remainder of ONE when divided by 4. (Just add two to the previous number's remainder.) For example: 1, 5, 9, 13, etc.

There are TEN of those numbers!

So now you have 10 possible first digits, 10 possible second digits, and 1 possible last digit. 10*10*1 = 100 combinations.

Sounds like a lot, but when you can do each combination in a minute or less, that's not a lot of time. I've retrieved many of old locks that were unusable.

PLEASE only use this for legal purposes - like if you lost a combination or something.

Alright. So basically the masterlocks have a mechanical flaw that lets you narrow it down to 100 combinations. 100 combinations? That's a ton? No. Not compared to 64,000!

Basically, you turn the dial and pull the bar out simultaneously. Eventually you'll find a point where the bar is pulled out and you can't turn the dial. There are 12 of these sticking points.

Now, of these 12 points - 7 of them are BETWEEN two numbers... say BETWEEN 29 and 30.

The other 5 are ON a number - say 5, 7, 15, 25, 35.

Now, look. Of those 5 numbers, all but one ends in the same DIGIT! Look above, they all end in 5 except the number 7!

So, you found your last number of the 3! 7!!!

Now, simple math narrows it down further.

Integer divide 7 by 4. What do you get? 1 with a remainder of 3. The FIRST number also has a remainder of 3 when divided by 4. For example: 3, 7, 11, 15, etc. There are 10 of these number!!

The SECOND number will have a remainder of ONE when divided by 4. (Just add two to the previous number's remainder.) For example: 1, 5, 9, 13, etc.

There are TEN of those numbers!

So now you have 10 possible first digits, 10 possible second digits, and 1 possible last digit. 10*10*1 = 100 combinations.

Sounds like a lot, but when you can do each combination in a minute or less, that's not a lot of time. I've retrieved many of old locks that were unusable.

PLEASE only use this for legal purposes - like if you lost a combination or something.

When you say legal, by who's standards? I'm just trying to clarify, I'm not insinuating that... I.. myself would do anything that would be in the gray area but .. I ... have.. a friend. :ninja:

I was considering buying a nice gun safe. I could store all of my good coins in one big ol' box. But for the cost of the safe, I could buy about two century's worth of safe deposit box fees, so ... :ninja:

I have a pretty good safe in my house but when the value got past a point where I was comfortable, most of my metals went to a safe deposit box.

The premise of the video, that knowledgeable burglars enter your house with no time or noise constraints is probably an extreme rarity. I'm not expert here but I think that burglars sufficiently skilled to defeat the safe shown and having the time to do so are very rare.

Archived