CoinPeople.com

I hammered my own copper token over the weekend

Sir Sisu

There was an outdoor fair going on over the weekend in downtown Helsinki. I went one day with the family. Often at such events, and this was no exception, there is a stand where one can strike their own coins. Of course I took the opportunity as did my son.

The options were copper or aluminum- we both took copper. It is a decent chunk too: 3mm thick and 25mm diameter. Here is the result (as usual the actual thing is much better than the scan) and the equipment.

gallery_6_11_21390.jpg

gallery_6_11_8302.jpg

Did you etch the die yourself as well?

No, my etch-a-sketch skills are not that advanced. :ninja:

Now that's cool ;)

How often did you have to hit that thing, Sir?

was it just one strike, or did you have to do it more often?

Only once. In fact I hit it too hard. The clasps holding the top die came off, causing it to shift and give the coin a nice scratch on the side with the text.

Now, that sounds like a neat experience :ninja:

Did anyone think to 'over-strike' another coin? Seems to me a 2-euro piece would fit nicely...

That's really cool! Your son must have loved it. Is your picture an obv/rev of 1 or is it both? And which one is yours and which is your son's?  ;)

It is a photo of just mine: rev and obv. The hammer was a bit heavy for my son, so his resulted in a weaker strike. :ninja: