CoinPeople.com

Future commoratives?

Dockwalliper

I was reading up on coin legislation that pending in congress and was wondering. How many of these would people really want to purchase?

Here is a list of some of the commorative coins that may be in our future.

Revolutionary war and war of 1812 battlefield commorative coins. $5 gold , $1 silver & clad half dollars.

American Disabled vets for life. $1 coins

NASA 50th anniversary commorative $50 gold 1oz. and 9 different $1 silver(one for each of the 9 planets)

Robert M. La Follette Sr. Commorative coin.

U.S. Army infantry, National Infanrty Museum and soldier Center commorative.

Model T Ford and 100th anniversary of Highland Park plant commorative.

Star-Spangled Banner and War of 1812 Commorative $1 coin.

Civil Rights act of 1964 $1 coin.

Mothers day Centenial commorative $1 coin.

Circulating quarters program to honor D.C., Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, U.S. Virgin Islands & the Northern Mariana Islands.

200th Anniversary of abolition of the Transatlantic slave trade.

Hudson-Fulton-Champlain Quadricentenial coin.

Any takers?

I might go for the Model T, Army Infantry and War of 1812 commems, though that last one seems odd, why add the Revolutionary war, since that's somewhat past isn't it? The revolution ended more than a quarter century before the War of 1812. And that was wasn't much to celebrate, what will they have an obverse of the capitol being burned to the ground? On second thought that might not be so bad!

The War of 1812 has a special place in my heart......They burned Buffalo to the ground too. The Brits practically marched down my street on the way to Buffalo.

It went something like....We sacked Queenston so they burned Buffalo. That pissed us off so we burned York(now Toronto) so they burned Washington. You might think we lost on the exchange but when we burned York we swiped the fittings and riggings to outfit our lake fleet that won us the Battle of Lake Erie.

So that's what that funny smell in Buffalo is! Here I always thought it was just the Love Canal! :ninja:

But seriously Doc, I'm down for most of those -- I especially await a 2009 S VDB Wheatback Cent of original composition to be widely circulated with a mintage of 484,000,000 -- that would be so freakin' cool!

Robert M. La Follette Sr. Commorative coin

They could do one for Joe McCarthy too, and cover both ends of the far out political spectrum in the USA. This year is the 50th anniversary of the end of the McCarthy era, which is a commemoration in and of itself, especially for those he victimized.

And since Pluto is no longer considered a planet why 9?

because eight will "earn" less money!

i might be interested in the civil rights act coin ... and the extended state quarters series ... but that's it.

i wish we could get out of the business of doing private fundraisers this way.

Accd to the paper this morning that Sackie buck bill passed, so now we will have Aboriginal American Commemorative coins. Zowwie I am just so excited I could soil my breeches. :ninja:

What a waste. But I understand why the government does it, create money that doesn't circulate. Pure profit.

I would really need to see the designs before I can pass judgment on them. If someone had told me that I would one day pass up on buying a Thomas Edison silver dollar, I love Edison but the design was ugly, but I would end up buying a John Marshall dollar I would have been rather surprised.

I hate the wyoming quarter, may as well have just put an image of their license plates on the coin! Utah is ok, but as a train nut, the first thing I notice is neither locomotive has a tender, so I would anticipate that an explosion is imminent.

I'm attending the FIDEM congress in Colorado Springs and one of the lectures was delivered by a US Mint artist/sculptor. He discussed (and showed examples) of good and bad elements in coin design. Most examples were from the state quarter series although other commemoratives were included. The quarter designs are a particular problem for them because the state committees have a big say. Wyoming is a good example. I don't think they would have chosen the bronco design, but it was a must. The particular speaker designed and sculpted the Nevada quarter (he showed an alternative design that was his vote--not his own design) and sculpted the Idaho quarter (he did not support the state outline, but again it was mandated). The mint director spoke at the openning ceremonies and discussed his desire to revitalize American coin design based on today's culture, arts, etc. He discussed the issues involved in making changes when much of what they do is dictated by legislation and conservative (I'm talking cultural and artistic conservatism not political positions). Change comes slowly.

I asked about what would bet reflect their direction (since the quarters are bounded by the state design committees) and they discussed the Jefferson nickels. The Keel Boat reverse was a product of the Artist Infusion Program (artists can compete to be included in AIP, if selected they are taught the principles of coin design, and they can then compete for coin designs for new coins), the rest in house designs (awarded by competion). They discussed the facing Jefferson as an example of wanting to move away from traditional designs and do something new. Another example is the Statue of Liberty on the reverse of the presidential dollars. All coins have to have "Liberty" on them. The Statue of Liberty meets that requirement without using the word. The obverse of the Washington dollar is the product of a new, young artist. It was entirely sculpted on a computer using a program called FreeForm that is just now being adopted in the mint (introduced about a year ago). When you are limited to a total relief of 70/1000s of an inch between highest point and the field, its a challenge to model a coin. The next generation of designers have new tools to make their work easier if the they can can conceptualize their design on the digital screen. The program gives them control over the total elevation the have to work with, so they can draw and design within the limits of production requirements.

The presentation was well done and very informative. I think the Lincoln cents will give us a good idea of the direction they are headed with new coin design goals. The commemorative series is interesting, but since I don't collect it, I am less interested in what they do and more interested in how they do it.

So that's what that funny smell in Buffalo is! Here I always thought it was just the Love Canal! :ninja:

But seriously Doc, I'm down for most of those -- I especially await a 2009 S VDB Wheatback Cent of original composition to be widely circulated with a mintage of 484,000,000 -- that would be so freakin' cool!

Can anyone tell me if this is for real, because if it is I would have to get a few in 2009!

Circulating quarters program to honor D.C., Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, U.S. Virgin Islands & the Northern Mariana Islands.

I also hope this comes about as it will make one beautiful Proof set with the quarters, dollars and pennys. 17 coins in all....WOW!!!

Archived