YeOldeCollector

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cheers Steve, I have better Aeth Longcross pennies and so they look better than this one, still meets fine though.

Aye, is pretty impressive toning on that Novi Castri penny, notice how his left eye appears on the bridge of his nose...

Out of these last few I'd be inclined to go with the Aethelwulf as my favourite! :ninja:

• 2 weeks later...
I'm tempted to order a few more just to spend them, love to see people's reactions...

Strangely I was given a £5 coin in change in Tescos last year and, as it had been well circulated, I spent it in the same store, different check-out girl, with not a blink of the eye! Considering the continuing shortage of £5 notes, I'm surprised the mint is not pushing coins more. :ninja:

Mind you, a reduction of size would help!

209552950_o.jpg

209552967_o.jpg

Not in great condition but it is interesting nonetheless. The reverse legend appears to read CIVI TAN TOI TO(B/R), looks to be an imitation of Edward II as the obverse legend is jumbled and has no initial cross. The reverse should read CIVI TAS CAN TOR for Canterbury mint.

Well not necessarily, it could be a continental imitation. These were minted in various regions throughout Continental Europe such as the Low Countries and used as currency there. A merchant could have brought this back to England.

But I believe that this is a contemporary forgery due to the fact that it bears resemblance to the coins of the time with regards to legends. If it was a continental imitation the legends would be different to reflect the issuing ruler and mint.

The five pound coin is a base metal and so is same quality as the coins that are in circulation.

Take a look here: http://www.royalmint.com/store/BritishBase/EQ1.aspx

Considering the continuing shortage of £5 notes, I'm surprised the mint is not pushing coins more. :ninja:

during my recent trip i only received one five pound note in change ... it was pretty well used and i promptly stuffed it into my pocket and went on my way ... never to be seen again until i was on my return flight. if my limited (two weeks plus) experience is any indication it might be that both the five pound note and coin could go away ...

I have never actuially come across a £5 coin in change, not a single one...

As for £5 note, well I come across several every day. If they removed £5 notes then I'd have to lug around 2 £2 coins and a £1 coin or, more likely, 5 £1 coins. So I can agree with you about the £5 coin but certainly not the note.

I checked the Royal Mint website about the 5 pound coins. Interesting. I found the six pence and large cents they have for sale more interesting. Are these leftovers that were stored and are now being sold?

As for the sixpence and I assume large pennies, they are coins that the Mint has acquired and are trying to sell with a huge mark-up. They target collectors who do not know the true value of the almost worthless pre-Decimal currency.

The "Christmas Lucky Silver Sixpence", for example, is worth no more than £1, closer to 70 pence if that.

I was just wondering. We had the big GSA sales of silver dollars when the Mint found hundreds and hundreds of bags of silver dollars in the vaults and decided to clear them out in a big sale. Lots of goodies came out of that sale.

A guinea weight of William III. Looks to be the maker's initials to the right of the portrait. Circa 1696.

211488946_o.jpg

211488965_o.jpg

So this is an official circulating coin of that era? I ask because you're unsure of the initials. When did coin designs get standardized/regulated?

No, this is a coin weight. So a guinea would have been placed one side of the scales and this weight the other to test its authenticity before trade.

To be honest I feel that coin designs became standardised to a certain extent in the reign of Henry II, i.e. 1154. We do not see much variation of design throughout the reigns from then onwards. Henry II started off with the standard "Tealby" type, or cross and crosslets and went on to use the Shortcross penny. The shortcross penny was in use for nearly 70 years and then we just see longcross on most of the standard coinage from 1247 until 1603.

Tealby coinage, very poorly struck due to turbulent political events:

188957786_o.jpg

188957750_o.jpg

First appearance of continued longcross coinage, on an Henry III penny:

188957844_o.jpg

188957820_o.jpg

But in terms of complete standardisation then we are talking at the beginning of the permanent milled coins; so 1660.

All coins were regulated though, you could not just go out and make your own coin or put a random design on it. All coins were overseen by the moneyer, whose name was put on most early coins, but who would not have made the coin. So you could argue that coin designs have been regulated since the early Anglo-Saxon period (600) if not earlier. Up until recently in terms of British history, value was determined by the weight of the metal rather than the value assigned to it so designs did not play an important role until Edward VI's reign where we first see a mark of value.