Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Art!

The pick of today's arrivals.

Henry III Class 3a, Nicole on London.

42982Hen3a1.jpg

83877Hen3a2.jpg

Very aesthetically pleasing and an outstanding portrait.

--------------------------

Another rare Henry III mint penny, this time, class 3b, Nichole on Shrewsbury.

46572Shrews1.jpg

1667Shrews2.jpg

10353PandM1.jpg

87527PandM2.jpg

Philip and Mary Base Penny. 1554-48, m.m. halfrose and castle. With a crucifix motif over the rose, perhaps to reflect the religious tension. A very interesting countermark on a relatively scarce coin.

Because I didn't see portraits on the base penny, I assumed it was from the Cromwell era. Wonderful piece though! It's fascinating to look at and think about!

Many thanks for your comments chaps, much appreciated.

Two in the post today. Neither win prizes for beauty...

27662Rich1.jpg

69980Rich2.jpg

Richard I Shortcross penny, bought for the portrait, Class 3. Circa 1192. Spink 1347, having a hard time with the moneyer and mint as Shortcross pennies are not my forté.

83130Wilton1.jpg

24122Wilton2.jpg

Henry III Voided Longcross penny, Willem on Wilton. Scarce mint in reasonable condition, worn dies. Class IIIb.

• 3 weeks later...
Very nice coin, good portrait, and very old too! ive got a few centuries to go back before I get anything this old!

You wait until you see what should arrive in a few days! :ninja:

A few of my latest purchases.

William II/Rufus, cut halfpenny. Cross in Quatrefoil type, Thetford mint with either Folcaerd on Burhard as moneyer as only RD showing. A scarce monarch.

10628Rufus1.jpg
66280Rufus2.jpg

Henry III, Irish Voided Longcross penny. Davi on Dublin, Class Ib, outstanding condition. Has to be in hand to be appreciated.

27929Irish1.jpg
29050Irish2.jpg

Henry VI, Pinecone-Mascle Issue Groat. Calais mint on an unusually thick flan.

84890Henry%20VI%20Groat1.jpg
61435Henry%20VI%20Groat2.jpg

Henry VI, Rosette-Mascle/Annulet Issue Mule. Calais mint with a stunning portrait. Not a common mule at all.

17205Henry%20VI%20Halfgroat1.jpg
72514Henry%20VI%20Halfgroat2.jpg

What a haul, YeOldeCollector! All look wonderful. Did you conquer an auction house recently?

Thanks George. Surprisingly not, although I do have a few auctions pencilled in for the summer... :ninja:

• 2 weeks later...

I received a copy of this book yesterday;

iyjzmu.jpg

"The Identification of British 20th Century Bronze Coin Varieties" and must say that it is one fantastic book! Not only is it concise but it is really easy to use. As a hammered coin collector I am far from familiar with 20th Century Bronze varieties but this book has made a difference and I've been looking at coins I have kept away for years in the hopes of uncovering their varieties.

It is described as "a newly published book covering the varieties of 20th Century bronze coins, from the smallest one-third farthing up to and including the brass threepenny bit. There are 145 pages of information and identifiers to enable the collector to swiftly and definitively identify their coins with 139 photographs showing the features that distinguish each type for a particular denomination and year. Not just the major varieties are covered, like the 1926 ordinary and modified effigy pennies. Also included are the minor types. For instance, there are descriptions of the 13 types of 1902 Low Tide penny and the two varieties of normal tide penny of this year. The book also covers the varieties of the decimal bronze coins. In writing this book, the author has investigated many sources of information concerning bronze varieties and has brought together all the disparate information concerning them into one informative manual, which will be invaluable to the collector."

All in all a superb book which I would certainly recommend. I can put you in touch with the author if you're interested in acquiring one yourself, just let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

Hawkins1.jpg

Hawkins2.jpg

Hawkins3.jpg

Hawkins4.jpg

This book caught my eye. A second edition of Hawkins' "Silver Coins of England", 1876, leather-bound hardback.

Plenty of line drawings which is my main interest as the academic material is a outdated now. Nonetheless, it's a lovely book and even looks nice with its gilt decoration.

Edward Hawkins, F.R.S., F.A.S., &c.. Keeper of Antiquities in British Museum. Now that would have been one splendid job! A hefty book running to an excess of 500 pages.

I am jealous of your informative library :ninja:

The varieties book looks especially useful - though, are most of those varieties worth much more than normal?

Fascinating material any roads, I've no doubt.

Matt, I love old books but to own an old book which has a use is much more rewarding. As for the varieties book, it depends on the varieties as some make the coin worth more whilst others do not affect the value. Let me know if you do want a copy and I'll put you in touch with the author.

Where'd you find it, Clive? Is there a sizable chance that you own coins he used to make the catalog?

eBay! :ninja: Most of my library comes from eBay; just a shame that the postage can be crippling...

I highly doubt it as Mr Hawkins' was Keeper of Antiquities at the British Museum and so would probably have used coins that are in the British Museum's collection and they rarely part with pieces. Although I do know that a couple of my coins have featured in various other publications, I know of none in publications of this age or older.

Yeah. I don't know if it is us that make this thread so well-viewed. Something about your signature or your website directs a lot of people too. There aren't many words in this thread that would bring google searches here.