YeOldeCollector's Olde Purchases

YeOldeCollector

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK, so an inch is the diameter of a Two Pound coin, i.e. 2.7 cm.

The date is 1893, so that makes it of Vickie's Old Head Coinage. I would grade this at a strong VF so you're looking at about £400GBP/$800USD or $785CAD.

The photos are slightly fuzzy, the coin could be an EF or even aUNC but I cannot tell and so would play safe with a strong VF.

Please do not hesitate to email me at Clive@HistoricCoinage.com if you have any further queries, I hope that I have been of assistance.

Cheers,

Clive.

BTW, IF IT IS AUNC, WHAT WILL BE THE VALUE. THANKS

BTW, IF IT IS AUNC, WHAT WILL BE THE VALUE. THANKS

aUNC would put the value at closer to £700/$1400

As for the Shieldback Sovereign, depending on the variety as there are several, you'd be looking at around £230/$460 for the most common variety.

Cheers,

Clive.

aUNC would put the value at closer to £700/$1400

As for the Shieldback Sovereign, depending on the variety as there are several, you'd be looking at around £230/$460 for the most common variety.

Cheers,

Clive.

YOU ARE WONDERFUL. MANY THANKS AGAIN. THESE ARE THE LEGACY. I IGNOR IT TILL NOW BECAUSE I AM A PAPER COLLECTOR. WOW WHAT A SURPRISE....!! GUESS I HAVE TO PUT IT AWAY NICELY NOW.....

Glad I could help, they are very nice coins which I'm sure anyone would be proud to own. Congrats!

Cheers,

Clive.

Glad I could help, they are very nice coins which I'm sure anyone would be proud to own. Congrats!

Cheers,

Clive.

One general question is '' how much the value of gold is effecting this kind of gold pieces? can you give me the kind of ratio in relationship to the rarity of a coin to the value of the gold.'' CHEERS again

Well I'm no gold buff, but as gold prices rise the prices of the gold coins are bound to as well, the opposite will occur when the gold prices fall. The higher quality coins will attract higher values and more so from investors as gold is seen to be a good investment when it comes to gold. As the investors wipe the market clean of gold coins, the ones that collectors own will become scarce and this will push the value up.

Well I'm no gold buff, but as gold prices rise the prices of the gold coins are bound to as well, the opposite will occur when the gold prices fall. The higher quality coins will attract higher values and more so from investors as gold is seen to be a good investment when it comes to gold. As the investors wipe the market clean of gold coins, the ones that collectors own will become scarce and this will push the value up.

thanks

What is the deal with the cross in the centre of the coin? Looks like it was double struck, as this should be a cross, but I see no doubling on the letters.

It was not double-struck, stycas are known to have other central motifs, for example a pellet, an annulet, a star etc... This one above has a star motif, not very common compared to the boring cross.

Wonder if some leftover and unsaved Pagan put the star on the die, instead of the usual obligatory cross of subjugation?

Maybe, just maybe...

:ninja:

That's why I love this series, there's so much variation and room for debate. Not to mention they are relatively inexpensive!

Two beauties arrived today from the States.

First up, a true Viking coin, from the Viking Kingdom of York or Jórvík where we know get York from. The Kingdom existed from 876 to 954, this example dates to around 900. An unusual coin in a superb grade, with a few minor edge chips. This was the Viking King Cnut, the coin reads CVN NET TI.

cunneti1.jpg

cunneti2.jpg

Secondly a coin from the Danish/Anglo-Saxon Cnut, more than 100 years further down the line. This is a Quatrefoil Issue, my favourite Cnut design as the others are a bit plain in comparison. This example's moneyer is Godwine at the Stamford mint, it is in as-struck condition with a superb portrait. This coin dates to around 1020.

godwine1.jpg

godwine2.jpg

Cheers,

Clive.

There are some days when I wish I had never parted with my early Nowegian penny (ca. 900) and two bractates, but I did all too many years ago.

Lovely coins and wonderful additions to your collection..

Thank you very much Bill, the guy in the US was glad to see that his coins are making a journey home.

There's always going to be decisions that you will regret but you seem happy with your present line of collecting.

Cheers,

Clive.

Few coins this week, a very nice Edward III Groat.

edgroat1.jpg

edgroat2.jpg

Spink 1565, I'd say a good VF. 1351/2 a.d.

Also purchased a rather nice 9th Century Strap-End.

strapend1.jpg

Also got a styca, a rare Eadbhert + Abp Ecgbhert Sceatta, a rather nice Jetton and a nice Henry III error.

Cheers,

Clive.

Quite a few this morning, here are pics of some.

comp1.jpg

comp2.jpg

Commonwealth Penny, Shield with wreath and olive branch, two shields with I above signifying one penny. Spink 3222, I'd say a great deal better than the Spink plate coin for the 2008 edition!! Circa 1650.

novicastri1.jpg

novicastri2.jpg

Edward I Penny, VILL NOVI CAS TRI, Newcastle mint quite good for the issue. Circa 1290.

henann1.jpg

henann2.jpg

Henry VI Halfpenny of London, Annulet Issue, 1422-30.

Cheers,

Clive.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry this thread hasn't been active for a while, I've been preoccupied.

Got another Elizabeth I Halfpenny this morning, full flan with good detail. You can even see the nails on the portcullis! Scarce little coin, just under a centimetre in diameter. Circa 1565.

152194912_o.jpg

152194917_o.jpg

Cheers,

Clive.