YeOldeCollector's Olde Purchases

YeOldeCollector

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Received a nice Henry VIII Half-groat in the post today. It is of the Posthumous coinage, CIVI TAS CAN TOR, Canterbury mint, Spink Ref. 2415. Portrait is quite good and its silver content is excellent considering these were often debased before release.

HenryVIII1.jpg HenryVIII2.jpg

- Clive.

Oh, Clive. You're really whetting my appetite for medieval and hammered coins!

Is that a good thing? :ninja:

They are really nice, hammered coins is one of, if not my greatest passion!

Is that a good thing? :ninja:

They are really nice, hammered coins is one of, if not my greatest passion!

Of course its NOT a good thing! I don't have that much money! I can't spend it on both my US series/type sets AND new adventures into hammered and ancient coins! Gah!

It's not always expensive, I mean that Henry VIII half-groat only cost me about $80. But it was a bargain to be had on the bay.

• 3 weeks later...

I've eventually gotten around to taking some better pics of my Maundy Set. Here goes...

Maundy11.jpg Maundy12.jpg

Maundy21.jpg Maundy22.jpg

Maundy31.jpgMaundy32.jpg

Maundy41.jpg Maundy42.jpg

One of the rarest Queen Anne maundy sets, 1710 in superb condition.

Also got one of my lovely errors: (Henry III Penny, circa. 1250.)

Henry1.jpg Henry2.jpg

The 'true' reverse is meant to read WAL/TER/ONC/ANT yet it has the ER on the end resulting in CANTER.

So Walter minted this coin at Canterbury to start off with and then a day or two later Ion came along and thought it was a blank. He than accidentally struck over Walter's coin, Ion's legend would read ION/ON/CAN/TER and so the CAN/TER ends up overlapping part of the obverse legend yet Walter's original legend is on the reverse.

Cheers,

Clive.

If I ever find myself in Historic Surrey (if I ever find out where Historic Surrey is...) I would absolutely love to see your collection of hammered coins and this maundy set. Thanks for sharing , Clive! You've really got me wanting some Ancient British coinage (Hammered, Roman, etc).

I've always loved the stories in the paper you see every now and then about a British farmer finding a haul of ancients. I'd love to live on land that may be sitting on so much history. Luckily I'm from Virginia, one of the most historically rich US states. We've been around longest - we had 2 major wars fought on our soil and 160 years of colonialism, and thousands of years of native american tribes.

I live in the county of Surrey, but Historic Surrey sounds better! :ninja:

I've never been too keen on Roman coins, British hammered however...

Thanks Art, you CPers only get to see my new purchases, my actual collection is much more extensive. The Maundy Set was something that I just picked up, I loved the look of it and knew that Queen Anne was relatively scarce to obtain and so bought it. Paid slightly more than I would have liked to but this is 18th Century art is it not? :ninja:

Clive.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a few of my New Purchases.

First up, an Edward I Londoniensis Farthing. Relatively scarce in this condition. Spink Ref 1443. Circa 1290.

Lon1.jpg Lon2.jpg

A virtually as-struck penny of Edward II, Bury St Edmunds. Spink Ref 1465. Circa 1317.

Bury1.jpg Bury2.jpg

Thirdly, an Elizabeth I Sixpence that I bought for the great detail on the portrait. Not my usual era but I couldn't resist!

Elizabeth I Sixpence, 3rd+4th Issues, Intermediate bust with a showing ear with a Castle mintmark. Spink Ref 2562.

Portrait1.jpg Portrait2.jpg Portrait3.jpg

Henry VI Penny of York with Mullets by Crown. Spink Ref 1868. Circa 1440.

Henry1.jpg Henry2.jpg

Confess2.jpg

An Edward The Confessor, Facing Bust/Small Cross type, Arncetel on York mint. Circa 1050.

18871.jpg 18872.jpg

A lovely, aEF in my opinion, 1887 Crown with lovely toning that the photo doesn't entirely show, steel blue and brick red.

EdIII1.jpg EdIII2.jpg

A very nice Edward III Groat, Pre-Treaty series G. I like the portrait! Circa 1345.

Enjoy!

Clive.

Wonderful coins. I particularly like the pennies of the 10xx range from England and Scandinavia. I sold my one Norwegian penny and two early bractates in 1990. There are times when I miss those critters. They are too expensive today to start collecting again.

Cheers Bill, they are lovely coins that's why I collect them!

But you're right, they are getting more and more expensive :ninja:

Clive.

Cheers Bill, they are lovely coins that's why I collect them!

But you're right, they are getting more and more expensive :ninja:

Clive.

Don't tell me that! Remember I'm seriously considering finding some when I next get to a coin show/shop!

Don't tell me that! Remember I'm seriously considering finding some when I next get to a coin show/shop!

I have a few spares on my site if you want ;) ? :ninja:

Here are most of today's purchases, all from the London Coin Fair.

As struck Edward I penny, with Eddie having one eye... Class 9b of London, arguably better than Spink plate.

ed9b1.jpged9b2.jpg

Edward I penny, class 10c.

ed10c1.jpged10c2.jpg

Ed I penny of Bristol, class 9b.

edbris1.jpgedbris2.jpg

Ed I Penny of Durham, class 2b.

eddur1.jpgeddur2.jpg

As struck, with flat spot, Ed I class 3c.

ed3c1.jpged3c2.jpg

Clive.

As struck Ed, class 3d.

ed3d1.jpged3d2.jpg

As struck Ed, class 3g with some weak spots and unusually thick cross.

ed3g1.jpged3g2.jpg

Ed I penny of Dublin, nice toning.

eddub1.jpgeddub2.jpg

My favourite purchase: an as struck Cnut Quatrefoil, Leofsige on Cambridge.

cnutq1.jpgcnut2.jpg