CoinPeople.com

YeOldeCollector's Olde Purchases

YeOldeCollector

Not a problem!

Eloye Mestrelle, a Frenchman, began to mint coins for Elizabeth using a screw press with parts of it driven by horses, the quality was much better than the general poor quality of the hammered issued but it took far too long and was very inefficient and he was hung in 1578 for "counterfeiting", yet milled coins became permanent features less than 100 years later.

Clive.

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Received this gut today, not bad for a milled... :ninja:

George IV, 1825 Halfcrown, nice patina which is very hard to photograph.

half1.jpg

half2.jpg

Cheers,

Clive.

Well here's one that arrived today, will post others later.

Anna, Queen Anne, is one of my favourite Queens and so I can't resist the odd coin! 1711 Shilling with a rather nice portrait.

anna1.jpg

anna2.jpg

anna3.jpg

Enjoy!

(P.S. I'm amazed to see that this topic has had nearly 100,000 views... Thanks!)

eddies2.jpg

eddies.jpg

3 Edward I Pennies, middle is a class 1C of London, one on right is a Class 4a of London and the one on the left is a Class 4d of London.

Many thanks,

Clive.

Got this from a relative, turns out he collects Early Milled focusing on Anne!! Looks like I'll have to pay him a long visit one day!

bwa1.jpg

bwa2.jpg

From a monarch that was on the throne for less than a year, not bad!

Cheers,

Clive.

yup ;) been brushin up on your arabic eh? :ninja:

btw Clive nice Edward VIII coin...always wondered if one with his portrait exists. most likely..and most likely scarce also..hmmm

Again, lived in Qatar for a year and took a year of arabic here in college. But i am HORRIBLE with languages so I didn't learn as much as I should have.

Aethelred II - Crvx Penny, circa 1000 A.D., Godwine on Thetford.

crvx1.jpg

crvx2.jpg

crvx3.jpg

Looks like it's been in contact with iron of some sort, but this has to be one of the best I've seen condition wise, no cracks, of which the Crvx are notorious for and no clipping at all! Don't you just love his forehead-eye? :ninja:

Another hammered today, came from Australia!

calais1.jpg

calais2.jpg

Henry VI Rosette-Mascle Issue Halfgroat of Calais Mint, a strong VF+ in my opinion. Spink 1862, circa 1430.

Hammered in australia.... oh man, sounds like a good vacation.

:ninja: Might appeal to me too! ;)

The joys of the internet in regards to international acquirement of hammereds! Also sell my spares world-wide, most of my sales in the past month have gone to America, Canada, Australia and Germany. Very few to the UK! But hey, I'm not complaining! ;)

Clive.

Charles I Shilling with a more than decent portrait.

shilling1.jpg

shilling2.jpg

Henry II with a major error!

messeduppieres1.jpg

messeduppieres2.jpg

More can be found out about the latter by visiting this page: http://historiccoinage.com/errors.aspx

Cheers,

Clive.

Poor Hanky got crossed :ninja:

;)

Not sure he was always cross though!

Henry also had a good sense of humour and was never upset at being the butt of the joke. Once while he sat sulking and occupying himself with needlework, a courtier suggested that he looked like a tanner's daughter. The King rocked with laughter and even explained the joke to those who did not immediately grasp it.

Clive one question..when did all the facing right or left on coin portriats start. because that charles I coin is the oldest brit coin i have seen when the face isnt lookin straight instead it faces left.

(btw mind me my typing on my laptop sucks...my pc wont work :ninja: fixin it tomorrow)

Coins have been facing right or left since Roman times in Britain, many Anglo-Saxon coins also have side facing portraits whilst others face forward. So it has been a mixture throughout English history.

Clive.

Clive one question..when did all the facing right or left on coin portriats start. because that charles I coin is the oldest brit coin i have seen when the face isnt lookin straight instead it faces left.

(btw mind me my typing on my laptop sucks...my pc wont work ;) fixin it tomorrow)

WOW! RD wrote a sentence with complete words! :ninja: Not "Clive, 1 qstn, whhn did all the facing right or left on coin portraits start. bcuz..."

lol. Kidding, RD! I like your new computer