CoinPeople.com

YeOldeCollector's Olde Purchases

YeOldeCollector

I guess most of coins in the US market are from either personal collections (traded/handed down through the generations since we've had a pretty healthy collecting base going back to the mid 19th C.) or from hoards.

I figured a good deal of your coins are from hoards. If most are from detectorists, how often do you hear of hoards?

Ah, well quite a few of my coins probably come from the Brussels' hoard and the Colchester hoard which were of Henry III Pennies. I also know that some of my Cnuts and Edward the Confessors are from hoards but the vast majority are found singly.

I did have the chance to buy some of the best known examples of 10thC pennies and agreed to, when I received the coins and IDd them for the woman she told me that she found them as a group. Therefore I had to send them to the British Museum due to the Treasure Act. I'm lucky that I asked the question and that I did not hand any cash over. They are now to be bought by the local museum which is a shame as they would have fitted in perfectly with my collection... :ninja:

I'm always being notified of hoards that have less than a dozen coins in but have yet to be involved in a major hoard containing 100+ coins. So I've only acquired 'purse-drop' and 'underground-safe' coins.

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Picked up this one tonight. Henry III Longcross penny, Class IIIa, Nicole on London. Exceptional portrait.

183756756_o.jpg

183756815_o.jpg

Received a miniature coin in the post this morning. It's less than a centimetre in diameter...

Commonwealth (Cromwell) Halfpenny.

185525402_o.jpg

185525386_o.jpg

The haypenny looks like nothing you usually post. Is that because its the Cromwell era? No paganism or idolatry on the coins?

Indeed, Cromwell's coins were a bit of a rush to be minted in order to rid the system of Charles' coins and so they are simple in design in order to speed things up. I have the halfgroats and pennies, now I have a halfpenny to match!

But don't you worry, I still love the earlier coins of the Anglo-Saxon, Norman and Plantagenet eras but will pick up coins from other houses if they are bargains!

I do like the simplicity of the design though, it makes them hard to confuse with anything else LOL Nice adition to your collection Clive ;)

I suppose so! :ninja:

Thanks Steve. ;)

Henry II Tealby Penny, looks to be Godwin on London but is hard to tell on these notoriously poor issues. This is a good example compared to most others, bought it for the near-complete portrait. Perhaps class E... (Circa 1170)

188957750_o.jpg

188957786_o.jpg

Secondly, Ricard on London, Henry III Longcross penny, Class Vb. (Circa 1265)

188957820_o.jpg

188957844_o.jpg

Got a few more coming soon...

I know what you mean, as if he saw something just as a photo was being taken and turned to look! :ninja:

All of my Tealbies in similar condition show this, not sure why it's not the standard face-on or profile portrait.

Not the best example but better than average and I only have a few of these so makes a change. ;)

Let's face it! If it had been EF you couldn't afford it - probably ;) Rare as hens teeth. :ninja:

I've always wanted an EF one, never found one. Although there is an interesting Tealby on Vosper's site.

SX-UJBK.jpg

But, at £400, I'll be leaving that one...

But, at £400, I'll be leaving that one..

Is the price because of the grade or more due for this issue? If it just happens to be a rare issue in a high grade, I'm not scared away from hammereds. But if all pretty hammereds go for 400 pounds.... I think I'll keep my business to this side of the pond.

Clive, I was just perusing your profile. You can't be 97 years old! I don't believe it! Not with the activities you have listed!

Also, I see you have a few CPers mentioned on your website, but you have no link to coinpeople.com! :ninja:

The price is because it's of Ilchester mint, very scarce for the issue, also because of it's above-par condition. Normally the portrait is obliterated thanks to the poor strike.

Trust me, you can pick up some real beauties for very reasonable prices, that's how most of my collection has been formed! :ninja: I'll let you know of some reasonable beauties on my site when it's completed if you'd like?

97? Do you not think I'm the youthful age of 97 then..? PM me as to how old you really think I am then if you don't believe I'm 97, I await with intrigue... ;)

Ah, I've been working most hours of every day for the last week on my site and I've only just finished Edward I, the whole site is still under construction. I'll let everyone know when it's all done and dusted, will be more links, don't you worry...

Here's one that arrived today.

189392325_o.jpg

189392398_o.jpg

Elizabeth I Milled Sixpence, superb condition, I'd say aVF if not VF. These are much scarcer than their hammered counterparts, the milling process was not effective and so Lizzie returned her coinage to hammered.

Dated 1562, tall, narrow bust with decorated dress. Large rose, m.m. star. Looks like an error too as it has a raised rim on the obverse, perhaps stuck in the press? I'll do some more research on that as first minting error I've seen on a milled on Lizzie.

Henry III Longcross penny, Willem on Oxford. Class 3b. This one jumped the dies and got double struck by the looks of it.

190097394_o.jpg

190097407_o.jpg

Got another coin from the postie this morning!

190447442_o.jpg

190447461_o.jpg

Commonwealth (Cromwell) Shilling, 1653, m.m. Sun. Makes a change to see a coin with English legends rather than Latin. It's a bit ragged but all the detail's there so I'm happy. :ninja:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, seeing as you insisted... :ninja:

Edward I Penny, Class 3g. London mint.

194479448_o.jpg

194479523_o.jpg

Edward I Penny, Class 9b/10a. Newcastle mint.

194479611_o.jpg

194479668_o.jpg

Edward I Penny, Class 3e. Royal York mint, error penny, I do like my errors...

194479930_o.jpg

194480005_o.jpg

Edward the Elder Two Line Type penny, Wessex Mint (most likely Winchester), moneyer is Fritheberht.

194479766_o.jpg

194479844_o.jpg

Finally, a unique penny of Aethelwulf, King of Wessex. Phase II Penny, Deiheah on Canterbury. Moneyer is not known for this type, a leading expert had this to say; "The Aethelwulf is new to me: I have not seen this specimen before, and you are right about it being a new type. It is, therefore, quite an important coin, as new types or variants for Aethelwulf only come up very rarely these days."

194479214_o.jpg

194479357_o.jpg

As for the new type of Coenwulf, a good friend is writing an article about it and so I shall direct you to that once it is completed.