CoinPeople.com

YeOldeCollector's Olde Purchases

YeOldeCollector

It is less than a centimetre in diameter, i.e. 1/3 of an inch.

I assume my A4 paper is the same! :ninja:

The farthing dates to around 1300.

Clive.

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

georgeiv1.jpg

georgeiv2.jpg

George IV Sixpence, aEF.

williamiv1.jpg

williamiv2.jpg

Rare date William IV Sixpence, EF+.

I don't normally collect milled coins but I couldn't resist these two little beauties!! (British grades, not US.)

Clive.

Stunning coins that remind me of our late 19th century silver designs:

expensive-coin-dime.jpg

It's probably because Lady Liberty looks like a fella.

Are you that flattering to the ladies on campus? :ninja:

Wow... umm... I can't argue that actually. I think I'm just bitter. Rowan Atkinson would do better here than I do

:ninja:

tealby%20farth1.jpg

tealby%20farth2.jpg

EF Tealby Farthing, always something mysterious about cut farthings.

error1.jpg

error2.jpg

Looks like an Edward III Penny, neat error.

More to come soon.

Still amazed to see that this thread has nearly 49 thousand views, thanks guys!

Clive.

chaz1.jpgchaz2.jpg

Charles I Shilling, 1640-1, M.M. Star shame about weak strike on portrait as the legends are very bold.

chaz3.jpg

But what I like most about this coin is its quirky error, if you look at the obverse, at the CAROLVS you can see that the CA is much higher than the ROLVS and that the R is much more weakly struck than the other letters, this is due to the dies slipping in the hammering process causing the CA to jump and the R to be squashed. This is also evident in the inner circle around the portrait, you should notice that the circle isn't quite complete as two ends are visible just below the CA of CAROLVS. Added into the mixture is the slight shadowing of the L and V as they slide to the right, giving an impression of a double strike.

It does, however, have a lovely rich orange toning around the bold legends and is still a great coin, albeit outside of my collecting arena.

Kindest Regards,

Clive.

Damn. I've had 1000+ views on my thread alone. And it's not that old.

Anywho, I like the new logo, Clive. I take it they have gangstas in GB too?

I'm still surprised as to how many views this thread has had, not that I'm complaining... :ninja:

Well I thought that my new 'logo' was to represent the increasing nature of 'chavs' or 'pikeys' in our modern day, British society and wanted to contrast it with our heritage and history.

In recent years, the definition has become loose and is sometimes used to refer to a wide section of the (generally urban) underclass of the country, or merely a person of any social class who "lives on the cheap". This seems to be the meaning intended by Stephen Fry in an episode of QI, grouping together "hoodies and pikeys and chavs", and intimating that these people are of a sort who "go out on the town, beating people up and drinking Bacardi Breezers".

The term is considered to have negative connotations; even when it refers to others, many people still consider it to be derogatory and offensive. "Pikey" is frequently used as an adjective, as in "he lives on a pikey estate", "those clothes look pikey" or "(name of cheap shop) is a pikey shop". However, "pikey" is also occasionally used as a verb, a synonym for "steal", as in "Someone's pikeyed me fookin bike".

Chav as an epithet

Within the UK "chav" is often used to indicate a person(s) openly exhibiting many antisocial or irresponsible tendancies, particular examples include.

* Habitual, willing unemployment,

* Truancy (if of school age)

* Underage sexual activity, particularly if resulting in underage pregnancies,

* Promiscuity and children conceived in casual relationships,

* Assault or incitement to violence, including so called Happy slapping and co-ordinated intimidation.

* Theft,

* Criminal Vandalism,

* Profoundly hubristic behaviour including queue jumping, and enhanced sense of entitlement.

* Public Nuisance, in particular spitting, shouting or playing loud music on the street or on public transport.

* Hatred of the police and other authority figures

* Hatred of other subcultures, such as goths and emos.

Requests to keep the noise down, or to move along, are often met with aggression, assault and in some cases even murder [10] . Such individuals often have ASBO's imposed on them for their behaviour.

(Definitions 'pikeyed' from Wikipedia)

But anyway, I shall hopefully be adding some more new purchases to this thread soon!

A guy I know gave me these two beauties, they were in his change from Sainsbury's... ;)

50a.jpg 50b.jpg

This was passed off as a 50 pence piece, although it appears to be twice the weight, twice the thickness and nearly double the amount of sides... :ninja: (See photo where it's compared to an actual 50p)

Also this was passed of as a twopence... But I REALLY like the design of this piece!

Czech1.jpg Czech2.jpg

They make nice novelty additions to my foreign album nonetheless.

Here's one of my favourite, most recent new purchases.

I am in the process of researching it but at the moment it appears to be North 800 with a blundered legend, with elements of both Cnut's and Edward's legend in, but one cannot be absolutely sure. Even so it is still an extremely rare coin.

Edward The Confessor, (transition penny from Cnut), Pacx, (Peace), penny. The country split into two when Cnut died, with Harold I ruling from 1035-40 and Harthacnut ruling from 1035-42 and so this coin was probably blundered due to the moneyer not knowing who was the monarch! He had originally put Cnut with Cnut's Shortcross obverse and then changed it to Edward, it's obverse legend actually reads +EPDP REX INT, a blundered legend with an abbreviation of Edperd, (EPDP), and a blundered Cnut (what appears to be an I and then NT). One of my favourite coins!

Enjoy!

confess1.jpg

confess2.jpg

confess3.jpg

3 new hammereds today!

tas%20tas.jpg

Not in the best of condition but it has a nice error, it reads CIVI TAS TAS ***, shame it had the last 3 letters broken but it most likely says Lon but it could be of another mint... We'll never know.

expand1.jpg

expand2.jpg

Edward the Confessor, probably my favourite Anglo-Saxon monarch in terms of coins, Expanding Cross Penny, Stircol on York, 1050-53. Photos do not do it justice! Spink 1176.

radiate1.jpg

radiate2.jpg

Edward the Confessor Radiate/Small Cross Type, 1044-46, Scula on York, again, photos do not do it justice! Spink 1173.

Another hammered in today's post.

Edward I transition penny, in design of previous monarch and father, Henry III.

Provenance: Ex. DNW auction.

transition1.jpg

transition2.jpg

For more info on these coins and Edward I's coinage check out my blog on my site: http://historiccoinage.com/edwardI.aspx

Cheers,

Clive.

Cheers Sir Sisu!

I'm not too keen on the modern coins personally! :ninja:

I'm glad that you like these coins, I have several more hundred hammereds in my collection and also have some spares for sale on my website if you're interested...

Also, the joys of collecting hammered coins is the interlinking between countries, such as Henry VI with Calais as an English province, Cnut and his Scandinavian influence and Offa with his Arabic coinage. But you can't go wrong with a good old English silver penny! ;)

Clive.

Here's one that arrived today!

Henry III, early, Class 1b, reading hENRICVS REX ANG on the obverse and, for a change, LIE TERCI LON on the reverse, thus making it London Mint. Spink 1359, I'd say VF+, I just love the portrait! Circa 1250.

1b1.jpg

1b2.jpg

1794a.jpg

1794b.jpg

1794 Chichester Half-Penny token, "+Payable at Dallys Chichester+", I bought it for the hammered connection with Lizzie! :ninja:

Clive.

I bought it for the hammered connection with Lizzie! :ninja:

Clive.

I must be missing something, whats the connection between this coin with QEI and hammereds?

Elizabeth I issued hammered coins, and briefly milleds before resorting to hammereds after hanging the Frenchman that introduced milled coinage as she thought it was too slow a process!

Interesting. So it's not that they didn't have the technology to make milled coins, its that the process was slow. Wow. That's probably one of the most interesting and important facts I've learned in a few weeks in this forum. Thanks, Clive! :ninja: