Latest Banknote purchases.

Guest Aidan Work

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

lol...plenty! Palestine, 1962 Katanga issues (1960 issues are ugly!), Greenland, Sarawak, Malaya, British Borneo, Italian Somaliland, German East Africa, Monaco, Keeling & Cocos, St Pierre et Miquelon, Reunion, Zanzibar, Qatar & Dubai, Rhodesia & Nyasland, Panama, and Tibet.

And that's just countries I don't have. From what I do have, my South Americans can use improvement, I still want a Seychelles "Sex" note, and I need a proper series run from the Bahamas. On the US side, I don't have a single large-sized note, light green seal, chartered bank national, fractional, or obsolete.

There's no such thing as running out of stuff to collect. :ninja:

Do you have a banknote from Bahrain ? Name a few of your favourite 2 digits number ? ;)

lol...plenty! Palestine, 1962 Katanga issues (1960 issues are ugly!), Greenland, Sarawak, Malaya, British Borneo, Italian Somaliland, German East Africa, Monaco, Keeling & Cocos, St Pierre et Miquelon, Reunion, Zanzibar, Qatar & Dubai, Rhodesia & Nyasland, Panama, and Tibet.

And that's just countries I don't have. From what I do have, my South Americans can use improvement, I still want a Seychelles "Sex" note, and I need a proper series run from the Bahamas. On the US side, I don't have a single large-sized note, light green seal, chartered bank national, fractional, or obsolete.

There's no such thing as running out of stuff to collect. ;)

Until a few recent packages from you and another CPer, the only foreign notes I had were from Qatar! Although it helps to have lived there for a year and my mom goes back multiple times a year for business. ;) Though she went about a month ago and forgot to bring back some nice crisp notes....

So Qatari Riyals and a US Large Size... the only two notes I have over you. :ninja:

Do you have a banknote from Bahrain ? Name a few of your favourite 2 digits number ? :ninja:

i lived in bahrain from 1986-1988. that was my first introduction to foreign money. ;) bahrain has been one of my favorites ever since. if i can just find an uncirculated 1964 5 dinar note, i can pick up the more common 10 dinar, and my entire bahrain series would be just about complete!

http://public.fotki.com/sanmiguel/world_banknotes/bahrain/

as far as 2 digit numbers...i really haven't payed any attention to serial numbers until recently. i only have one 2-digit "real money" note:

boeqm10vi-vi.jpg

the rest are:

#23 pirates of the carribean disney dollars

#1 bank eireannais dollars

#20 coinpeople coinbucks

Until a few recent packages from you and another CPer, the only foreign notes I had were from Qatar! Although it helps to have lived there for a year and my mom goes back multiple times a year for business. ;) Though she went about a month ago and forgot to bring back some nice crisp notes....

So Qatari Riyals and a US Large Size... the only two notes I have over you. :ninja:

there's a base in qatar that they send soldiers to for relaxation. my unit in Iraq is small enough, (and cool enough), that we can afford to send everybody once. the bigger units use the small number of seats available as bait to dangle in front of their people to make them jump through hoops. my 4-day pass to visit will be sometime in june or july. so yeah...i'll be hitting up the local dealers for those qatar & dubai notes. ;)

but don't worry, i don't foresee myself going anywhere near large-sized notes for a looong while. even if i had the money for a cu set of 1899 silvers or 1918 nationals, i'd probably go the small sized route and pick up a cu set of large denoms. and unless i hit it big on the lottery, (fingers crossed), i'll be nowhere near even thinking about picking up a set of cu educationals! ;)

WoW! Those are awesome notes, my man! Every one of them. Good job! :ninja:

thanks! besides a few small purchases here and there, i don't foresee another major buy for at least another two-three years. this last spree of mine made a humungous dent in my e-5 paycheck. ;)

heheh...if only i was an officer. ;)

Dear naidu54@hotmail.com,

ti is supposed to be Ho Chi Minh, not Hi Chi Minh

"Vietnam 10000 Dong 2006 UNC Polymer Front Design: Hi Chi Minh"

Hi dbang1988,

Sorry yar..typo error. Thanks for correcting my mistake. :ninja:

Well, this isn't much, but it took me a while to find it in UNC, so I'm glad to finally get it.

44qwdog.jpg

47369le.jpg

It's really a beautifull note. does it cost you alot for the note?

:ninja:;););)

It's really a beautifull note. does it cost you alot for the note?

:ninja:;););)

Well, that answer is an interesting story. Part of my search for it in UNC condition was also finding it in UNC condition at a reasonable price. I could find several in various other conditions for various prices, but none in XF/EF or UNC until about two weeks ago. Then I found one for sale but it was at twice the catalog price. While I understand that the catalog is only a 'ballpark' figure, I thought it a bit unreasonable, and thought I could wait a while and see. Then about one week later I stumbled onto this lovely note when looking for something else and it was priced at exactly what my catalog stated (and my catalog is one issue old) plus it was not an auction, but a direct sale... so I pounced on it! The seller stated that they had had several of these notes in the past, but never one in UNC ... so I think I may have actually done fairly well on this one.

Well, that answer is an interesting story. Part of my search for it in UNC condition was also finding it in UNC condition at a reasonable price. I could find several in various other conditions for various prices, but none in XF/EF or UNC until about two weeks ago. Then I found one for sale but it was at twice the catalog price. While I understand that the catalog is only a 'ballpark' figure, I thought it a bit unreasonable, and thought I could wait a while and see. Then about one week later I stumbled onto this lovely note when looking for something else and it was priced at exactly what my catalog stated (and my catalog is one issue old) plus it was not an auction, but a direct sale... so I pounced on it! The seller stated that they had had several of these notes in the past, but never one in UNC ... so I think I may have actually done fairly well on this one.

;) to you on your search. :ninja:

my dad was in the navy and i was an elementary student at bahrain school. it was great! nobody had to lock their doors, the field trips were awesome (we toured the ancient dilmun mentioned in gilgamesh, old forts, pearl diving dhows, navy ships), and there was still a sizeable british population and lots of english-speaking bahrainis. heheh...i also remember bob hope coming down for a uso christmas special. unfortunately, i also remember when the uss stark was hit by a missile, and the next year when the uss vincennes shot down a civilian airliner.

my school was ran by the department of defense dependents school system, but it was classified as a private international school. the navy base was pretty small, so only about a quarter of the students were americans. so, school was off on thursdays and fridays and the week started on saturday. during ramadan, our glass-walled cafeteria was curtained up so that the fasters didn't have to see us chowing down.

whenever we'd go on field trips though, my parents would give me a few dinars to spend on souvenirs. the highest bill i ever got to handle was a 5-dinar note (about $15), with the rest being 1's and halves. when i first started collecting notes, getting the 10 & 20 was one of my first priorities. being able to hold a crispy new 20 in my hand, and to know it was mine...that was one of the greatest feelings ever.

to this day, money from the countries i lived in still are and always will be my favorite. there's just so many good memories attached to them! :ninja:

during ramadan, our glass-walled cafeteria was curtained up so that the fasters didn't have to see us chowing down.

:ninja: I laugh because they gave the handful of Westerners at my school our own private room during ramadan. We could bring anything we wanted from home or the stores for lunch. Nothing healthy of course! Our Muslim classmates would try to break in and eat. Twas fun...

I went to Qatar Academy - the richest, newest private school there. All the best families sent their kids there. Out of the 16 people in 8th grade with me, one was second in line for the thrown, another was his younger brother from the Emir and the Queen. A few others were sons of the Emir and his sisters or secondary wives. Others in the class were of the Al-Thani family too or from other powerful families. Coming in as the only westerner in my year, and being the smartest and fastest in my year was not fun for the others who were used to being the best. I experienced racism from the victim's perspective for the first time in my life. I hail from Virginia, so I've seen it from the outside plenty of times. This was my first time as one of the players...

Anywho, you said you visit Doha ever so often. I'm sure you'll eventually (if you haven't already) crossed paths with QA.

Boy... I could talk for hours on my time there. But I apologize to everyone who reads this thread but didn't want to read this little convo between us ;)

But if you want an exotic, exciting, and cheap vacation... hit up the Gulf States before they get too expensive or popular!

My latest purchase, got this unc notes for very good bargain...more to come later on. Image are taken from ebay :ninja:

Nice haul! I've always like Madagascar notes with their dual denominations in Francs and Ariary along with their designs of everyday activities.

Nice haul! I've always like Madagascar notes with their dual denominations in Francs and Ariary along with their designs of everyday activities.

Agree! Stunning and vivid colors - I can only imagine what they are like in hand.

lol... I agree with Mike... I figured it out that the old man is chuckling inside because he isn't just "Uncle" to the youngsters... he's a little more than that.