Latest Banknote purchases.

Guest Aidan Work

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You know things were getting bad in the Confederacy when the first notes issued in 1861 were payable 6 months after the cessation of hostilities, but the last 1864 notes were payable 2 years later.

This note is the famous Lucy Pickens note, as that is who is reputed to be the subject of the vignette in the centre of the note.

You know things were getting bad in the Confederacy when the first notes issued in 1861 were payable 6 months after the cessation of hostilities, but the last 1864 notes were payable 2 years later.
The very first 1861 notes paid, with interest, "Twelve months after date ..." and the note would be hand dated when it was issued. Later, they went to "Two years after date ..." and the notes no longer paid interest. Still later, it became "Six months after the ratification of a treaty of peace..." and finally, "Two years after the ratification of a treaty of peace..."As the Confederate government became less optimistic about it's ability to back its notes in a timely manner, the people similarly lost confidence in the value of Confederate paper. It's also interesting that the notes were "Receivable in payment of all dues except export duties." If goods were leaving the country, they wanted something other than their own paper.

It's also interesting that the notes were "Receivable in payment of all dues except export duties." If goods were leaving the country, they wanted something other than their own paper.

At which time you better fork over the mighty yellow metal. Nobody but a Rhett Butleresque blockade runner would have had gold.

Actually, the greenback was at its lowest in 1980 when gold hit $850, but I am confident that we will see lower levels!

I meant during the Civil War, not overall. When you factor in what is going to happen politically in this country and also with the Stock Market in the fall, it will all fall into place.

We'll see, I am not sure about the stock market, the PPT has a lot of ammo to prevent a total crash, but what do I care, I have real money to fall back on!

And it ain't pretty paper either, I am sure.

I love paper money for the designs and colours, but it is not good for anything other than being a work of art. It spreads germs, and without fail always eventually loses value aside from the collectible value.

The Jordanian note is fascinating for many reasons, it is symbolic as a memorial to King Hussein, a ruler of Jordan that managed to die of natural causes instead of the dozens of assassination attempts on his life and a ruler that made a peace with Israel, yet could still stay in the middle ground and balance that extreme step by placating Iraq when it was ruled by Saddam Hussein.

Then the reverse of the note, despite having made a peace with Israel, the Dome of The Rock in Jerusalem is vignetted, and curiously described as such in English, but notably not Arabic. It is as though this is a seeming geo-political statement with a directed audience, not at home obviously but next door in the west, and around th world.

Just fascinating pondering the symbolism portrayed on this note in particular.

This one is the only piece known.

On the Krause is mention that wasn't circulated because of "Non adopted design". Looks like was circulated, but i never seen this notes circulating here.

The Krause Nº is 124.

100Meticas.jpg

I hope you enjoy this. More information on the next posts.

This one is the only piece known.

On the Krause is mention that wasn't circulated because of "Non adopted design". Looks like was circulated, but i never seen this notes circulating here.

The Krause Nº is 124.

100Meticas.jpg

I hope you enjoy this. More information on the next posts.

Wow, that's weird to find a circulated note that wasn't supposed to be circulated. Wonder what it's story is? :ninja:

Wow, that's weird to find a circulated note that wasn't supposed to be circulated. Wonder what it's story is? :ninja:

As it is known, or not, of the Banknotes collectors, Mozambique as issued in 1975, year of its independence, a set of 5 Notes with the face values of 5, 10, 20, 50 and 100 Meticas (Pick Catalogue nº 120, 121, 122, 123 and 124). These notes had never circulated, and the information is that was destroyed on the mint house, the English Thomas of la Rue. Between 1975 and 1980 had circulated in Moçambique colonial notes of 50, 100, 500 and 1000 Escudos, with overprinted "Banco of Moçambique". In 16 of June of 1980 the new notes had entered in circulation, with 4 values: 50, 100, 500 and 1,000 Meticais. The 1975 series always was involved in mystery, I was investigate for many years, interviewed some old controllersand managers of the Bank of Moçambique, members of the government and others, but nobody know nothing. Ones for pure unfamiliarity, others for thinking that it was "state secret". The truth is that I only knew the existence of these notes from the Pick Catalogue, and until now I was thinking that was a fantasy notes, therefore about none book, magazine or specialized site I found some image of these notes. Finally, one of this days days it appeared me a young boy with a damaged note, told me that was belonged to his father, and, what a surprise!!! I see a note of to 100 Meticas, series 1975!!!... A very good quality, watermark with the image of Samora Machel, two signatures, one of the "Governor of the Bank of Moçambique", Alberto Cassimo, that was really 1st Governor, but already dead, and of the "Ministro da Coordenação Económica", Mário da Graça Machungo, who already was 1º Minister and today it is CEO of Millenium BIM, Mozambican branch office of Portuguese Millenium BCP. Talking with the young boy, he said me that the note had been of its father, old guerrilla of the Frelimo, the first ones to enter in Lourenço Marques, a little before Independence, in 25 of June of 1975. Would have been ordered notes to after manufacture for the Frelimo the Agreements of September of 1974, that they had made right the date for Independence, and that they had been you deliver to the first members of the Frelimo that had entered in Lourenço Marques, to replace the old Escudo notes? If the notes had been destroyed, how this piece appear? It is damaged, but not because of use, therefore never it arrived to circulate it and this I guarantee therefore I participated in the brigades that in 1980 had proceeded to the exchange of the Escudos for the Meticais, and never appeared nothing of that. This are questions that continue without reply. If some of the members of the Fórum knows something more, please says some thing. However, the 100 Meticas 1975, even damaged, is now one of jewels of my collection!!!