CoinPeople.com

'43 copper cent error on the bay...$499,000.

16d

I am in contact with the seller right now over on the NGC forum.....I advised him that he should send the coin to ANACS for authentication as it looks like after mint alterations on that coin.

I am 100% sure it's not legit......but I think for the cost of submission it is worth it for the seller to have a little piece of mind that the coin is not what he thinks it is.....

An interesting picture he has there.

16D... are you saying the coin is Fake? or that he is charging to much?

-Bobby

I'm saying it's been altered. How many of us can say that their 1st ever offering on ebay had a 1/2 mil. starting price?

Strange piece -- a simple submission for opinion/authentication could end all speculation. Who in their right mind would pay 499K without that?? The odds of it being what he hopes it is are slim.

TOM

It's a fake.

If you look at the upside down Lincoln, his nose is recessed in the coin, which is opposite of what it should be. A double strike wouldn't make this happen.

The dies that strike coins are recessed so that when they strike a planchet (a metal blank), the metal of the planchet rises to fill in the die.

Honestly, I think it's a very difficult thing to say so far. I have at least 6 different samples of overstriked coins and no matter how hard you try to predict the strikes to be, and how the underlaying image could be, it is quite impossible to know at what angle strike would land such odd deformations, hence making overstriked coins quite unique.

But that wouldn't make any sense, you will get the reverse image of the coins...! Which wouldn't create anything like that. I am assuming that either this coin slipped through during the late December '42 and was accidently struck again on January '43 and the mint operators probably went "oops, oh well, can't waste a copper coin" and released it I guess.

I was hoping that this person would upload some 600dpi images, which would help to determine the striking on that coin :ninja: Although I guess I can give a try from his pictures from there ;)

One way that the coin was possibly made would be to take the 42 copper cent  and place it between two 43 steel cents, and tighten them in a vise or a 20 ton shop press.

A steel cent could probably be welded to a rod of the same diameter and the whole thing hardened to make a hub, and that used to make a die which would then be hardened.......'Course then you could produce a '43 bronze with any blank planchet you happened to buy with an upset rim. The slight size difference you'd get by using a coin for a hub would throw the whole thing into a cocked hat, though.

I guess you'd end up trying to hustle it on ebay. ahaha

"The 'supersize' seems to show the 1942 over the 1943...that in itself is really odd....... "

This astute observation shows it to be a fake. The "GOD WE TR" showing

as raised on the bottom of Lincolns bust on the 1943 portion of the coin

shows that the 1942 portion was struck over the 1943.

"The 'supersize' seems to show the 1942 over the 1943...that in itself is really odd....... "

This astute observation shows it to be a fake. The "GOD WE TR" showing

shows that the 1942 portion was struck over the 1943.

Hmmm if the 42 was struck over the 43 then it is a genuine 43 copper cent ? that would defeat the purpose of a fake !!

Rick

< This astute observation shows it to be a fake. The "GOD WE TR" showing

shows that the 1942 portion was struck over the 1943. >

No it merely shows that the motto from the 1942 stricke was not crushed by the 1943 strike. What is more telling to me is why didn't the lower part of the bust from the 1942 strike, which was much higher than the fields, fill in the motto of the 1943 strike?

I tried turning my monitor upside down to view the other side up, but I guess my monitor was made to only work right side up because the colors got all wierd and i couldn't see anything very well. lol, so I just rotated the image in photoshop, i suppose I should have done that first. :ninja: